Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/04/2009, 03:25 PM   #1
snewcrash
Registered Member

Snewcrash's 75 gallon build!

Ok, I've been lurking for the past year, learning and getting equipment together. I wanted to start earlier this year, but I had to deal with a move during the summer so I had to wait. I've never ran any type of fish tank before so I'm brand new to all of this.

Here's my equipment:

75 gallon AGA tank w/ Megaflow overflow
55 gallon sump
Home built stand
Octopus NW-200 protein skimmer
Eheim 1262 return pump
Vortech MP-40W Gen 2
Aquactinics Solar Flare (6x84w T5HO, LED moonlights, 6xSLR's)
2 x Two Little Fishes 150 reactors, going to run carbon and phosban
Air, Water & Ice Typhoon III RO/DI Unit
50lbs of Marco Key Largo dry rock

So far I have the stand built and I just finished installing my baffles in the sump. I have to remove the side skin of the stand to get the sump in. That's on my list for tomorrow as well as a leak check on the sump/baffles. Once that's completed I'm going to start plumbing. I'm about to place an order online for some spaflex. Here's a couple of pictures that I have so far. All comments are welcome!

snewcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2009, 04:54 PM   #2
jubjub
Registered Member

wow those are some tall baffles.....you might wanna shrink them down to 8-10" or so. from prior experience having some extra room in your sump incase of a power outage or what not for water from the tank to go to....

just dont wanna see a flood

quote the melev
How tall should the baffles be?

Once the water depth for your skimmer has been ascertained, the baffle height can be set accordingly. If the skimmer needs shallower waters, I still recommend making the skimmer zone deep. By having more water around the skimmer, it allows the bubbles time to rise and pop, so they won’t end up in the display tank. Put the skimmer on a short stand so it still meets manufacturer’s recommendations. Make sure that the skimmer sitting on a stand will still fit within the cabinet area and permit removal of the collection cup!

Average baffle height is 9 to 10”

Unread 12/04/2009, 04:56 PM   #3
snewcrash
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubjub View Post
wow those are some tall baffles.....you might wanna shrink them down to 8-10" or so. from prior experience having some extra room in your sump incase of a power outage or what not for water from the tank to go to....

just dont wanna see a flood

Thanks! The level of water in the skimmer/return section is 15 inches and the refugium is 16 inches. I used the calculator to see how much extra space I need when the pumps are off and I have enough up to catch it above the baffles. (I hope )

Unread 12/06/2009, 06:32 AM   #4
snewcrash
Registered Member

I didn't get a chance to put the sump in the stand, but I did finish the baffles and run a leak check. No leaks. I also painted the wall behind where the tank is going to go.

Unread 12/09/2009, 09:47 PM   #5
snewcrash
Registered Member

Since my last update I installed the sump under the display tank and did the plumbing. I went with spaflex and some clear vinyl. I will be taping all of the piping to retard algae growth. I am now leak testing it. So far no leaks in the return/reactor lines. I'm just using tap water to leak test this. I'm traveling in the beginning of January and won't be actually starting the tank until the middle of January.

Is there a specific way to fill the tank? Right now I'm just filling the sump and turning on the return pump to fill the display tank. I should eventually get to a point where the return flow starts overflowing into the overflow box. Do I fill more once I reach this point?

Here's some pictures. I'm going to have to shim the stand. The stand is actually level, but as you can see, my floor isn't. I'm on the 12th floor of a building built in 1964...

Unread 12/09/2009, 11:33 PM   #6
Screename_116
Registered Member

Looks awesome so far.

What kind of cat is that? lol

Screename_116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2009, 11:47 PM   #7
Skinner
Registered Member

Yeah, was that thing hairless or something???

Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2009, 09:47 AM   #8
snewcrash
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screename_116 View Post
Looks awesome so far.

What kind of cat is that? lol
It's a cornish rex. Almost hairless but not quite. He was climbing on top of the light fixture last night, going to have to do something about that.

I feel like there are a lot of bubbles in the tank. Is this normal when you first fill it up with water? There's a lot of dust and cat hair floating around in there... I haven't installed a filter sock yet.

Unread 12/10/2009, 02:16 PM   #9
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

Looking really good. Keep it up. Tagging along.

Current Tank Info: 110 Gallon Reef
Reeftanks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2009, 03:58 PM   #10
Giga
Registered Member

make sure none of those metal clamps are in the water because it looks like the pump one is

Current Tank Info: cool
Giga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2009, 07:30 PM   #11
snewcrash
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giga View Post
make sure none of those metal clamps are in the water because it looks like the pump one is
Yeah the pump clamp is in water, I'll remove it, thanks.

Unread 12/10/2009, 07:33 PM   #12
NigerBang
Registered Member

Lookin Good..

NigerBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2009, 10:24 AM   #13
iwishtofish
Registered Member

This will be fun to follow! Interesting how you daisy-chained the reactors. Is that common practice?

Why is it cats always show such interest in fish tanks?

iwishtofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2009, 11:01 AM   #14
jhawkor
Registered Member

Looking good.

Unread 12/11/2009, 12:38 PM   #15
bryman
Aquascape Destroyer

Looks good! Like the others said, you might want to replace all the stainless steel clamps with click-lock plastic clamps. Even the ones out of water will rust out after a few years with the salty air and salt creep.

The bubbles are normal for a new tank - will go away after a week or two.

Current Tank Info: 90G Tech
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2009, 12:46 PM   #16
snewcrash
Registered Member

Thanks, I'll look for the plastic clips at home depot. I just put more pvc cement on the connections on the return line to see if that helps with the bubbles. This is just test water so I'm probably going to empty it here in a couple of days.

Unread 12/11/2009, 01:17 PM   #17
bryman
Aquascape Destroyer

Unless the bubbles are coming in from your return pipes, they are not caused by the plumbing. Just part of the normal tank break-in process. You probably won't find the clips at HD, but they are pretty cheap from DFS, Premium Aquatics, or Marine Depot. Why not just keep the water in? It takes a long time to make that much RODI!

Unread 12/11/2009, 01:25 PM   #18
snewcrash
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryman View Post
Unless the bubbles are coming in from your return pipes, they are not caused by the plumbing. Just part of the normal tank break-in process. You probably won't find the clips at HD, but they are pretty cheap from DFS, Premium Aquatics, or Marine Depot. Why not just keep the water in? It takes a long time to make that much RODI!
Thanks for the advice about the clips. The water I have in there now is just tap water otherwise I'd leave it in. I'm not going to be home from Dec 27 - Jan 14, so I was wary about keeping water in the tank. I was thinking about starting the cycle while I was gone, but I want to be around during the initial stages and I want to make sure that I don't flood out 120 gallons of water into the people that live below me. =)

So for now I'm just using the tap water to leak test and get familiarized with water levels and everything. Plus, I need to shim my stand since my floor is not level.

Unread 12/13/2009, 10:51 AM   #19
snewcrash
Registered Member

So I've been running the system with just tap water in it for the past couple of days and I've ran into these issues that I need to fix:

1) Shim the tank to make it level.
2) Get a filter sock to reduce the bubbles caused by the drain line in the skimmer section.
3) Create another baffle between the skimmer and return section to reduce the bubbles getting created by flowing over the last baffle into the skimmer section (Look at 0:18 of the video)

I'm going to drain the tank, fix those things, order my sand and start doing my aquascaping with my marcorock. Can i just get a filter sock that clips onto the end of my drainline? I know there are filter sock holders out there, but I don't have enough room for that.

Also, does anyone have any idea for a better solution for keeping bubbles out of the return section? I usually only see 3 piece bubble traps, how do you guys not get bubbles from the drop into the return section?

Unread 12/13/2009, 10:58 PM   #20
bryman
Aquascape Destroyer

Nice video. I am looking for some kind of filter sock I can just put over my drains as well.

As for your bubbles in the return section, if you just run your water level higher in that section your bubbles should be minimized and probably won't reach the pump on the bottom. However, make sure you have enough room left for backflow when the power is out.

Unread 12/14/2009, 06:03 AM   #21
jimmycent
Registered Member

Any way of controlling the flow to your two reactors? If not, they could end up with to much. I think they only are recommended to have a certain amount of flow through them and its not much. Might be something to think about. Pretty impressive the thought you've put in considering your first ever tank. Something a lot neglect on the first time round, I know I did. Look forward to watching it progress

jimmycent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2009, 11:54 AM   #22
snewcrash
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryman
As for your bubbles in the return section, if you just run your water level higher in that section your bubbles should be minimized and probably won't reach the pump on the bottom. However, make sure you have enough room left for backflow when the power is out.
The water will usually be higher, but I don't want the bubbles after a couple of days of evap. I only want to refill the water level every 3 days or so and I'd rather not have bubbles during that period. I bought a 1/8 piece of glass today, it was only $5, should solve the problem for when the return level is low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycent View Post
Any way of controlling the flow to your two reactors? If not, they could end up with to much. I think they only are recommended to have a certain amount of flow through them and its not much. Might be something to think about. Pretty impressive the thought you've put in considering your first ever tank. Something a lot neglect on the first time round, I know I did. Look forward to watching it progress
Thanks for the compliment. I have a ball valve on the TLF reactors so I can regulate the flow to them.

Unread 12/15/2009, 11:58 AM   #23
snewcrash
Registered Member

Ok, so I purchased another piece of glass to stop the bubbles in the return section. As for the unlevel floor, I bought shims from home depot, but they were the 6 inch ones. If you look at the picture below you can see that I need a solid inch raise on the right side of the tank. I can do that with these small shims, but I'm concerned about the area of the stand that isn't touching the floor now.

Will that gap cause my bottom 2x4's to crack when I fill up the tank? Home depot has 12 inch shims, but I'm thinking it might be better to custom build some type of shim/wedge that fills all of the gap. Any ideas? I think some gap might be alright, my floor is concrete so I'm not concerned about the pressure being generated at that front right corner right now...

Unread 12/15/2009, 01:43 PM   #24
boxer385
Registered Member

what are the measurement of your tank i like it very much.

boxer385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2009, 02:29 PM   #25
snewcrash
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer385 View Post
what are the measurement of your tank i like it very much.
The tank is just a standard AGA 75 gallon. 48L x 18W x 20D