Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/03/2020, 09:34 AM   #1
kvn02109
Registered Member

Aptasia in pico

Hello,

Just got back into the hobby after 20 years with a 3 gallon fluval that was gifted to my kids. Tank is cycling with 4 lbs of rock and 4 Scarlett red hermits. We noticed this morning we have a fairly large aptasia that hitched on the rock. In a tank this small I’m not sure my load can even handle a peppermint shrimp. Should I use a Red Sea injection? I am also intrigued by berghia nudibranchs - how effective are these and in a tank this small how many should I get if that’s the route? 2?

Feather duster background, aiptasia foreground center left. Brutal picture but best I could do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kvn02109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2020, 09:37 AM   #2
Krchfam
Registered Member

Lemon juice or Joes Juice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krchfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2020, 01:52 PM   #3
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Joe's Juice works well.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2020, 10:21 PM   #4
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

haven't tried lemon or Joes Juice but the red sea stuff just seemed to **** them off. I used the Blue Life stuff on a few that I had and they were gone. it's been months and i'm free of them.

https://clearchoiceaquatics.com/coll...ts/aiptasia-rx

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2020, 10:01 PM   #5
Sk8r
RC Mod

It probably won't bother anything. If your tanks is in good balance it's unlikely to be a problem. Overpopulation of them usually happens when a tank has an excess of something it likes way too much, and that's not a good water balance. I'll have one come in on a specimen rock, and they just never prove a problem. But if you want to get rid of them the above suggestions are good.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote