Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/19/2012, 04:26 PM   #101
dahenley
Registered Member

Since your the expert.. lol (I understand... but am clueless at the same time Hahaha )

Can you dim only the blues or whites, or since they are hooked the way you have them, you can't differentiate the two colors?

Thanks, and this is helping tremendous amounts! !!

240display, reef in progress

Current Tank Info: 240 display, a few frags here and there. lots of fish, and lots of watching. (230 big screen getting re-sealed and going to add to the gallonage) My wife has no clue how addicted i really am.....
dahenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2012, 06:03 PM   #102
Jmille501
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahenley View Post
Since your the expert.. lol (I understand... but am clueless at the same time Hahaha )

Can you dim only the blues or whites, or since they are hooked the way you have them, you can't differentiate the two colors?

Thanks, and this is helping tremendous amounts! !!
Oh believe me , I am not an expert by any account !!! The way I hooked them up was to be able to dim each color individually . Sunset and sunrise work , as far as lunar cycles , don't know yet . Hope this is helpful .....

Jmille501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2012, 06:22 PM   #103
dahenley
Registered Member

Very helpful!!

One more question.
I haven't done my individual led research yet, but arnt there 2 different popular blue led colors? Are they the same watt and volt? Can you mix, say 50-50 or 70-30 royal and the other blue? Or do they require different stuff?
I'm asking, because if they are compatible, why not mix them for a better color variation?

Thanks!!

Current Tank Info: 240 display, a few frags here and there. lots of fish, and lots of watching. (230 big screen getting re-sealed and going to add to the gallonage) My wife has no clue how addicted i really am.....
Unread 04/20/2012, 05:31 PM   #104
Jmille501
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahenley View Post
Very helpful!!

One more question.
I haven't done my individual led research yet, but arnt there 2 different popular blue led colors? Are they the same watt and volt? Can you mix, say 50-50 or 70-30 royal and the other blue? Or do they require different stuff?
I'm asking, because if they are compatible, why not mix them for a better color variation?

Thanks!!
I will look into that . Only reason I used the blues were they matched the wavelength of the original Solaris blues . Don't think I would use anything "bluer" because it appears the color temperature may be getting too high , IMHO .....

Unread 04/20/2012, 06:09 PM   #105
dahenley
Registered Member

Aqua illumination sol uses 2 different blues. That was what I was semi referring to.

Thanks for all the info thus far!!

Unread 04/20/2012, 08:17 PM   #106
windowlicker916
Registered Member

Are the images not loading for anyone else?

windowlicker916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/20/2012, 09:15 PM   #107
dahenley
Registered Member

Just checked, and they are showing up on my Motorola DROID RAZR...

Unread 04/24/2012, 04:59 PM   #108
MADtanks
Stix Anyone?

Good stuff, thinking of rebuilding my Solaris that has been sitting in the basement, got tired of PSU's, and LED banks going dim or dying ..... but I do have a DIY setup on my 210 right now 120LED's and thinking maybe this will work so the question is:

What is the max per Driver: Original does 5X 5 plugs, but i saw that the output of course is less than that of cree, so thats why you went with 4 LED per string? I also noticed you did 4 totals strings instead of all 5? Since you are able to run 4 LED's per string do you think i could get away with running 5 Strings of 4? Assuming that each string puts out the same Vf, and A.

Sorry, i am terrible at the electronics and barely got away with doing my 120LED rig lol.

thanks.

Current Tank Info: 24X24X20 AIO SPS Dom
MADtanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2012, 06:16 PM   #109
Jmille501
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADtanks View Post
Good stuff, thinking of rebuilding my Solaris that has been sitting in the basement, got tired of PSU's, and LED banks going dim or dying ..... but I do have a DIY setup on my 210 right now 120LED's and thinking maybe this will work so the question is:

What is the max per Driver: Original does 5X 5 plugs, but i saw that the output of course is less than that of cree, so thats why you went with 4 LED per string? I also noticed you did 4 totals strings instead of all 5? Since you are able to run 4 LED's per string do you think i could get away with running 5 Strings of 4? Assuming that each string puts out the same Vf, and A.

Sorry, i am terrible at the electronics and barely got away with doing my 120LED rig lol.

thanks.
I used only 16 LED's because they are so bright , cost was a factor also . Using the original Solaris drivers , and the yellow and black leads , my multimeter showed 11.3 V and 650 mA at those points . By putting 4 in series , I am driving the LED's at 2.82 V and 650mA each . Slightly higher than that , but close . The XP'Gs can be driven up to 1500 mA and the XP'Es up to 1000 mA . I am well below that . I could run 5 strings of four , but I see no reason to at this point . The Cree's are BRIGHT !!!! Also , it was recommended to not exceed 100 LED's for my tank depth which is 20" . Hence I went with 80 ....

Unread 04/24/2012, 09:44 PM   #110
MADtanks
Stix Anyone?

Thanks for the insight, much appreciated.

Current Tank Info: 24X24X20 AIO SPS Dom
MADtanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2012, 07:24 PM   #111
Jmille501
Registered Member

Anyone else try the conversion ? Another bank completed , looks awesome !!!

Unread 10/06/2012, 02:23 AM   #112
jackryan
Registered Member

Hi Joe,

How's your SOLARIS unit doing?

Would you be able to share new pics? I was hoping you can show the power supply unit and also the actual LED unit.

Thanks!

jackryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2012, 10:01 AM   #113
dahenley
Registered Member

yes, yes!
please!