Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/19/2018, 07:50 PM   #1
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Kessil360W intensity

I just got a couple of these for spots in my 470g that needed more light on the outside edge of the aquarium, one on each side.

My main lighting is four 400 watt Ushio 14 K and four 110 watt VHO. THE RESULTS on that combination are tough to beat, but I had two area about 8-12” in on each side lacking.

My question for Kessil users familiar with tuning are, how intense do you run them and what color do you shoot for? I’m starting at 50 percent of each initially just to be cautious, but wondering how intense most folks go.

Thanks

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2018, 08:36 AM   #2
justajason
Registered Member

My setup is around 50% color and 70% intensity about eight inches above the water. It’s over a 24X24 space and provides adequate light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justajason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2018, 08:56 AM   #3
slief
RC Sponsor

I run them at 60% color and 65% intensity.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2018, 10:39 AM   #4
Nanook
Ancient Eskimo Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
I run them at 60% color and 65% intensity.
I’m just guessing on the amounts by turning the dials. Do you use a controller? Appreciate the help.

Current Tank Info: 375g Tanganyikan Tank & 470g mixed reef
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2018, 10:44 AM   #5
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
I’m just guessing on the amounts by turning the dials. Do you use a controller? Appreciate the help.
Yes. I use controllers with them. In your case, you will have to estimate. For intensity, I'd start at about 50% on the dial and work your way up a fraction of a turn each week and watch your corals. If they respond poorly, turn the knob back a tad and wait for them to respond positively again.. Then wait a week or two to increase intensity again. The lights are misleadingly powerful so you don't want to overdo it. As for color, use your eyes and adjust how you like it. It won't make much of a difference other than possibly impacting the max intensity your corals will tolerate. As a side note, if you don't have a controller such as a Profilux or Apex, Kessil has a nice little controller that will allow you to control the intensity and color and have a nice ramp up and ramp down. I run 4 hour ramp up, 4 hour peak and 4 hour ramp down from peak.
https://premiumaquatics.com/products...ontroller.html

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/20/2018, 11:52 AM   #6
justajason
Registered Member

That

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justajason is offline   Reply With Quote