Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/21/2010, 07:48 AM   #301
bolo7735
Registered Member.

Radium 20K bulbs are excellent.

Unread 12/21/2010, 12:58 PM   #302
renogaw
Registered Member

i'm being to grab a pheonix 14k 150w de bulb for my jbj 28hqi, is this a decent bulb? i have 2 18w pc's with 420/460nm split bulbs for actinics.

Thanks!

renogaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2010, 01:24 PM   #303
bolo7735
Registered Member.

I am using Phoenix 14000K bulbs and they are not as blue as the Radium 20K. Nice bulbs.

Unread 12/21/2010, 01:59 PM   #304
renogaw
Registered Member

thanks! i seem to have an older version of the 28hqi since everyone i talk to is surprised that i have the two pc's in there, so i'm not all that concerned about "blue"

renogaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2011, 10:25 PM   #305
neltnerb
Registered Member

Deleted

Last edited by neltnerb; 01/01/2011 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Double Post for some reason.
neltnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2011, 10:28 PM   #306
neltnerb
Registered Member

LED Lighting vs. MH Lighting

Dear Forum,

I am new here, and am looking to help design custom LED lighting for reef aquariums. I've been reading through the literature on metal halide lamps and have been a bit confused by some things I was hoping someone might be able to clear up.

One is why people say that 20,000K is the closest to natural sunlight. This seems very strange to me because the sun is actually a blackbody with a temperature of approximately 6500K.

Additionally, from looking at the spectrum for metal halide bulbs, such as this one:

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...p_Spectrum.jpg

it looks as if the output has many sharp peaks from specific atomic transitions which should be pretty annoying, and also that if they are actually peaking in the blue, they will emit a huge amount of UV light that would be extremely dangerous. A blackbody at 20,000K has a peak emission frequency of only 140nm while anything under 400nm is considered to be dangerous UV. 140nm is actually well beyond the range which causes skin cancer readily.

Can someone explain what it is that is actually desired in a spectrum for a reef tank? I can't imagine you actually want much UV because it's too dangerous to have in such high intensities indoors. Besides, a simple purple or blue should be sufficient for most fluorescence in the reef, and you almost want more of a yellow for photosynthetic efficiency in terrestrial plants. Are corals that much different in the color of light that their chlorophyll is looking for?

Anyway, any pointers would be helpful. My goal is to produce cheap LED lighting custom for some friend's fish tanks, and possibly to sell in small quantities to other people if there was interest. I think based on everything that I know about fluorescence and biology that LED lights would be a lot more efficient both photosynthetically and in terms of producing safe fluorescent light, but if I'm wrong I'd rather know sooner than later so I can tell my friends to just use MH bulbs!

Also, are MH bulbs very good when it comes to dimming? My initial plan is to make 10,000 lumen LED lamps in a 5500K white with a sharp peak at 440nm, but they would be dimmable all the way down to 100 lumens.

Best wishes and happy new year!
Brian Neltner

neltnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2011, 04:38 PM   #307
JMaxwell
Most Interesting

Reef tank bulb are generally in the 10K to 20K range. My experience is that most poeple like to look of bulbs closer to the 20K range, but balance that with the higher PAR output typically put out by lower Kelvin bulbs for a given wattage. Supposedly coral grows faster with lower K bulbs, but this may just be due to the higher PAR output at a given wattage. In any case, the corals have poor coloration at 10K lighting and below.

Some reefers like to use 10K-ish main lighting and supplement with blue or actinic supplements, often T5, and vary the light conditions throughout the day to simulate the sunrise, sunset effect. This can also encourage certain fish to spawn.

Claims as to what is "natural" is often spurious, but in any case, the light hitting the reef 10-100 feet under the surface is far more blue than light at the surface. Hence the idea that 14-20K bulbs simulate the light coloration at the depth of the reef. Either way, most people would say the corals look far better under bluer light of sufficient intensity.

You can use the internet to see the spectra typically put out in many manufacturers bulbs. As far as I know, desirable wavelengths are all in the visible spectrum.

JSM

Current Tank Info: 225g custom display mixed reef, 100g sump/refugium
JMaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2011, 07:03 PM   #308
william77
Registered Member

I'm setting up a 4x2x2 120 gal should I use t5 s or 2 250 watt metal halides . I really want LEDs too. What would be better?

william77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2011, 09:53 PM   #309
myerss
Registered Member

What kind of corals are you keeping william?

myerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2011, 07:40 PM   #310
theyammieguy
Registered Member

Whats the best bulb for a 70w JBJ viper over a mixed reef? Could you also provide a link for the best price? 10k or 14k?

12g JBJ deluxe JBJ viper 70w, maxi jet 900, Koralia nano, two false percs, softies, LPS, and SPS, about 25# LR and 2"-3" SB. Running since 3/22/07. Soon to add sump with skimmer
Click my home page for pictures.

40g breeder upgrade in progress.

Planning a 60g cube FOWLR.

Last edited by theyammieguy; 02/02/2011 at 07:52 PM.
theyammieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2011, 08:06 PM   #311
whitesquall
Registered Member

neltnerb....

you have sparked my interest.... idealy.. I think, a light setup which would have seperate adjustment for the intensity of say the 10K and 20K spectrums would be best this way, the individual could set the color temp to ther own desire.

Also, how many watts would the setup use compaired to MH bulbs... would it be a considerable difference?

How much would this setup cost?

And what would the usefull life expectency be on the setup?

I have a 120-gallon reef 48"x24" surface area, if the price is reasonable I'd like to find out more...

-Alex.

whitesquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2011, 03:00 PM   #312
bbeals00
Registered Member

begginer seeking help!

I am new to this and I am wanting to set up a reef tank, I have a 46 gal bow front, 21 in water depth, first question is could I get away with only using 175w MH? Also the tank is 36 inches long, and I have found some combo lighting (MH, T5's, LED moonlights) that I was looking into, the only thing is there is only one MH mounted in the center. Is this going to be adequate for a 36 in long tank? I am wanting to have a peaceful reef tank, some nice fish, and want to be able to grow a wide spectrum of corals. Any guidance would be appreciated.

bbeals00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2011, 06:22 PM   #313
tinyfish
Registered Member

Confused about MH

I just recently purchased a K2 Viper with a 150w 14,000k bulb. It is my first metal halide but I have to say I was disappointed with the color of my coral. I did not know what to expect.

I have very nice color on 2 other tanks. One uses T5's and the other uses VHO.

My question is are all metal halides in need of supplemental 420/460nm light?

It has been my experience that all blue light washes out certain colors like red, yellow, and orange or that even greens do not come across as vibrant. So the use of 20,000k bulbs seems odd to me.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

58g Tank 2, China LED, ReefOcotpus
tinyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2011, 12:46 PM   #314
paraphish
Registered Member

I like the 10k metal halides with T5 actinic supplementation.

paraphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2011, 09:29 PM   #315
ludiNano
I'm becoming...Brundlefly

Question Lumen max elites on 60x18x25 tank?

Hello all, i had been looking at lumen max elites 250w HQI for my 125g 60x18x25 tank this summer and came across a great deal on 2 for $200 from a local reefer who was changing his lights.

Now that i have them and am planning the light rack which i hope to have LED's set on the aluminum rods. Ive taken more notice that the reflectors take up most of the width of the tank.

I thought i read somewhere that these reflectors cast more downward than having a wide light angle, but im looking to conferm that and get your opinions on if these are a good choice.

Also to get your opinion on how far i should have them raised above tank so i can start to plan how tall to build stand and which type of ceiling i choose for my fish room.

Tank will be heavy SpS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited by ludiNano; 02/26/2011 at 09:38 PM.
ludiNano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2011, 04:33 PM   #316
Tony Romano
Registered Member

Go as high as you can to 20" or so. This will allow heat to escape and you to work on tank.

Why don't I have any money?

Current Tank Info: 215 & 90 mixed tanks
Tony Romano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2011, 04:41 PM   #317
ludiNano
I'm becoming...Brundlefly

20'' seems high will i be getting good penetration to the bottom. This will be heavy sps and have clams on bottom.

what about the width of the tank being an issue?

ludiNano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2011, 02:01 AM   #318
ELYTE_K
Registered Member

hey guys . . so im buying a aqualight pro 2-150w retrofit from a guy on CraigsList tomorrow. Has anyone heard or know if i can buy the housing for it?

ELYTE_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2011, 09:30 AM   #319
Tony Romano
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludiNano View Post
20'' seems high will i be getting good penetration to the bottom. This will be heavy sps and have clams on bottom.

what about the width of the tank being an issue?
I am at 14" to reflector lip and have sps in bottom of 29" tank. I don't think much is lost in air. You are correct 18" may require you to be lower to prevent lighting up entire area around tank. Also I have no background on my tank and white walls - bounced light.

Unread 03/28/2011, 12:38 AM   #320
joseperezred
Registered Member

36' Coralife AqualightPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwade0323 View Post
I recently bought the 36" Coral life 150w 10K fixture for my tank. If i wanted to upgrade to a 250 metal halide 14K bulb what else besides the ballast do i need to change?? Does anyone have a contact number for coral life?

Thanks, Walter

Hey Walter,
Im not sure if your ? Has been answered but I have the same light fixture as you only I have the 24" for my 60gal cube. I thought about doing the upgrade myself about 2 weeks ago but until I finally called Coralife ( by the way #is 1 (800) 255-4527) and was told that it is possible, but too much work and parts that may even be too difficult to find will be needed in doing this upgrade. I don't remember the exact parts but I do remember been told that obviously the ballast would need to be replaced along with the exit cord comming from the fixture itself due to the 250watt ballast have a much thicker round connection also the housing of the bulbs are different, and ofcourse the bulb itself. Oh and by the way they don't have or should I say make a upgrade kit, you will need to get all this yourself. Well hope I was able to help. Good luck.

joseperezred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2011, 02:49 PM   #321
biecacka
Registered Member

question, i have a 4pc 96wt each and 3 250wt halide fixture on my 220 that is 30 inches deep. the tank is a softy an lps tank, i have the pc bulbs on for 10 hours and the halides on for 5hours. do you think this is enough light even for the softy lps at the bottom of my tank
corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2011, 11:43 AM   #322
iheartJMS
Registered Member

I am getting a new (to me) 120 gallon acrylic tank next week that is around 48x24x24. I am planning on keeping mainly LPS and zoa's, and maybe some softies. I don't plan on having any SPS. Any recommendations on an affordable lighting setup? What do you guys think about the Aqua-Media Oceanlight HQI Pendant? I can get a used one for $100 that comes with the ballast and everything. Also has an almost new bulb and hanging kit. Works perfectly and is less than two years old. Should I jump on that and eventually get another or what?

Thanks

iheartJMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2011, 08:17 PM   #323
Jim.mer
Registered Member

it takes more than good lighting to have a succesful sps tank. you need greAt flow good calcium levels and alot of luck

I said to my self, my self I said, Maybe i'll go LED
No my self said No, MH all the way

Current Tank Info: 12 jbj settin up soon, no fish, just inverts, hermits,softies,LPS
Jim.mer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2011, 08:49 AM   #324
Tony Romano
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseperezred View Post
Hey Walter,
Im not sure if your ? Has been answered but I have the same light fixture as you only I have the 24" for my 60gal cube. I thought about doing the upgrade myself about 2 weeks ago but until I finally called Coralife ( by the way #is 1 (800) 255-4527) and was told that it is possible, but too much work and parts that may even be too difficult to find will be needed in doing this upgrade. I don't remember the exact parts but I do remember been told that obviously the ballast would need to be replaced along with the exit cord comming from the fixture itself due to the 250watt ballast have a much thicker round connection also the housing of the bulbs are different, and ofcourse the bulb itself. Oh and by the way they don't have or should I say make a upgrade kit, you will need to get all this yourself. Well hope I was able to help. Good luck.
Did you do the upgrade Walter?

Unread 04/29/2011, 08:53 PM   #325
wilky9393
Registered Member

Great 3 yr old thread, mh are still around!lets update in 2014

wilky9393 is offline   Reply With Quote