Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/20/2018, 02:13 PM   #1
Fail_sh3d
Registered Member

Advice for Synergy Overflow on Center Braced 40B

Hello all,

Just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with installing the a Reef Synergy 16” overflow on a center braced 40B.

Ideally, I would place the overflow in the center of the tank, but the center brace is causing doubts.

Were there any issues with the center brace causing issues opening the tank side of the overflow?

Should I place the overflow on one side or the other to avoid possible issues?

Are there better options I have should there be issues with this install?

Thank you in advance for your advice,
-Fail

Current Tank Info: Custom drilled 20L with sump/refugium, BM 3 Plus skimmer, 2 MP10, mixed reef.
Fail_sh3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2018, 02:47 PM   #2
Knighthawk
Registered Member

Why not just pick up a new 40 breeder from Petco on their sale?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Knighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2018, 02:51 PM   #3
Fail_sh3d
Registered Member

Knighthawk,

I don’t know when those are and the deep blue branded tank that I purchased has black silicone instead of the clear.

I have also read that the quality of the tanks Petco sells has declined in recent years.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

-Fail

Current Tank Info: Custom drilled 20L with sump/refugium, BM 3 Plus skimmer, 2 MP10, mixed reef.
Unread 08/20/2018, 03:14 PM   #4
scottwhitson
Registered Member

I just installed a reef synergy on my 120 and have no issues with the center brace. The piece that is removable on the internal part of the overflow comes off towards the front of the tank, it doesn't need to lift up.

I love the looks of it but it is noisy. It is not the plumbing that is noisy, I can get it dead silent with my powerheads off but as soon as I get some surface agitation then it splashes into the overflow and is pretty noisy.

scottwhitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2018, 03:38 PM   #5
Fail_sh3d
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwhitson View Post
I just installed a reef synergy on my 120 and have no issues with the center brace. The piece that is removable on the internal part of the overflow comes off towards the front of the tank, it doesn't need to lift up.

I love the looks of it but it is noisy. It is not the plumbing that is noisy, I can get it dead silent with my powerheads off but as soon as I get some surface agitation then it splashes into the overflow and is pretty noisy.
Thank you, Scott. That’s exactly what I was looking for. Did you happen to mount the overflow under the brace or to the side? Would you happen to have a picture?

Thank you so much,
-Fail

Unread 08/20/2018, 03:39 PM   #6
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

I did not use the Reef Synergy, but the Eshopps overflow. I installed mine in the middle and have also had no issues. It was somewhat difficult getting my fingers in to tighten it down, but well worth it for the aesthetics.

Unread 08/20/2018, 03:45 PM   #7
scottwhitson
Registered Member

Mounted it directly under the brace. Currently have the teeth off of it trying to quite it down.

Unread 08/20/2018, 03:51 PM   #8
Fail_sh3d
Registered Member

Quote:
Mounted it directly under the brace. Currently have the teeth off of it trying to quite it down.
Scott,

That’s awesome and exactly what I needed to see. Thank you so much for the picture. Sets my mind at easy a little bit.

Does the waterline reach the trim on your tank with the teething off? Or how high is the water with the teeth in?

Hope you get the noise issue figured out.

Thanks,
-Fail

Unread 08/20/2018, 04:02 PM   #9
scottwhitson
Registered Member

I set mine really high so the water level does reach the trim with the cover off. I had to take a router and trim the outside of the trim so the external lid would come off. This tank has a thick trim piece so that may bot be the case on your tank. I'll see if I can find a picture of what I did on the outside.

Unread 08/20/2018, 04:19 PM   #10
Fail_sh3d
Registered Member

Quote:
I set mine really high so the water level does reach the trim with the cover off. I had to take a router and trim the outside of the trim so the external lid would come off. This tank has a thick trim piece so that may bot be the case on your tank. I'll see if I can find a picture of what I did on the outside.
This is great and thank you again. I saw that they now sell a spacer kit for the synergy, I may end up picking one up.

A pic would be great if you find it.

Thanks,
-Fail

Unread 08/20/2018, 04:24 PM   #11
scottwhitson
Registered Member

Couldnt find a picture of the trim that I routed off.

Unread 08/20/2018, 04:36 PM   #12
Fail_sh3d
Registered Member

Quote:
Couldnt find a picture of the trim that I routed off.
No worries! Thank you for even looking.

-Fail