Macropharyngodon meleagris 78 33.05%
Macropharyngodon negrosensis 29 12.29%
Other 26 11.02%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Unread 05/25/2010, 02:28 PM   #1326
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

i have a sand bed for my wrasses but my monster 5" potters leopard has been sleeping in crevices like a fairy wrasse ,he kinda jambs himself in and sleeps . i only have 2" of sand in the tank and will be adding enough to get to 4 " asap as i don't want to put any stress on him . it seems that some can adjust but i wouldn't depend on it and if you add one to a bare bottom tank it probably will really add alot of stress and may be a major contributing factor in their demise .thats not to say in any way that its impossable but just not comfortable in an already stressful situation .

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
iamwrasseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2010, 02:37 PM   #1327
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madfronter View Post
What are its sleeping and hiding habits like without a sand bed?
it doesn't ever hide.

I don't know where it's been sleeping- my best guess is inside or under a rock.

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2010, 07:54 PM   #1328
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

put a video camera on your tank Gary !

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
Unread 05/28/2010, 08:10 PM   #1329
ChadTheSpike
Reef Engineer

Just thought I would throw an update in here

Both of my MM's are doing well still more than six weeks in. Both eat every chance they get and have acclimated to the lighting schedule well. One of them has taken on more of a green coloring which makes me think that it is turning into a male. The greener one is far more bold than the other one, which I have to watch carefully for a few minutes to see.

I am very happy that both are still doing well, hopefully they will continue to do so!!

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

Current Tank Info: 195 gallons of fun
ChadTheSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2010, 10:00 PM   #1330
rgentry123
Registered Member

hey chad, i see your relatively in the same area that i'm in. what LFS do you use?

Unread 05/29/2010, 05:10 AM   #1331
ChadTheSpike
Reef Engineer

Hey!! I use a handful of local places, my favorites are Blue Ribbon Koi, Marine Scene, Fins n Feathers, and Pristine Aquariums mostly. If I am going to travel a little bit, I will add Atlantis (Richmond), Exotic Aquatics (a little north of B'more), and Pacific East Aquaculture (near Ocean City, MD) to the list. All of those are good Just curious, but have you looked at WAMAS, the local reefing club?

Unread 05/29/2010, 09:40 AM   #1332
small alien
The fungus is among us.

Hey there, Mr. The Spike. Did you see much in the way of chasing as your leopards sexually differentiated themselves.

I have two 2" juvis that eat like crazy and have been super peaceful for about a month and a half. In the last several days, one has begun chasing the other.

Did you see that?

Anyone else comment on how two juvis differentiate? Is it like clowns with squabbling?

Thanks.

P.S. I LOVE LEOPARD WRASSES! There, I said it.

Current Tank Info: 75 mixed reef. F OSFF, Clingfish, M/F Leopards, M Mandy, Darwin Clown, Bullet Goby, Green Clown Goby, M/F Matted Files, Bluestripe Pipe, Tailspot Blenny, Canary Wrasse, Royal Gramma, Papua Toby Puffer, Snooty Maori Wrasse.
small alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2010, 10:15 AM   #1333
rgentry123
Registered Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadTheSpike View Post
Hey!! I use a handful of local places, my favorites are Blue Ribbon Koi, Marine Scene, Fins n Feathers, and Pristine Aquariums mostly. If I am going to travel a little bit, I will add Atlantis (Richmond), Exotic Aquatics (a little north of B'more), and Pacific East Aquaculture (near Ocean City, MD) to the list. All of those are good Just curious, but have you looked at WAMAS, the local reefing club?
i love BRK and atlantis. i'm closest to atlantis so thats the place i go most often. they really only ever seem to have the potters leopards though and i've been on the hunt for a bipart. for a while now. have you found any bipart's in the LFS's closer to you? also, i've been thinking about hitting some other LFS's in the DC area for a while but am not sure if there's really any point to, atlantis is such a great place, for the most they always have what i want and if they dont then normally BRK does. any of the other places you mentioned worth checking out? and yeah, i signed up for wamas but never actually sent my check for my annual fee or whatever it is so i think they kicked me out. i've been meaning to send it in though.

Unread 05/29/2010, 06:57 PM   #1334
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

New Video With Potters!

Click on 480p or 720p and close (X) ads!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPs1-gg0ZSU

thanks for looking!

Gobi and Pistol Shrimp working it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KhcnHzjm7s

Unread 05/29/2010, 08:27 PM   #1335
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

mysterybox, very nice video i wish that i could down load stuff of mine . please pm me and let me know how its done as i would appreciate it .
thanks for sharing ~

Dave

Unread 05/29/2010, 09:01 PM   #1336
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

No problem, I'm on my phone now, I'll pm you by tomorrow.

Unread 05/29/2010, 09:03 PM   #1337
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

awesome thanks .

Dave

Unread 05/30/2010, 12:53 PM   #1338
small alien
The fungus is among us.

Can anyone help me out with some perspective on the chasing issue. It continues. In fact, it's nearly noon and the chasee is not out yet today which is unusual. The chasing seems to be causing it a good deal of stress. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Current Tank Info: 75 mixed reef. F OSFF, Clingfish, M/F Leopards, M Mandy, Darwin Clown, Bullet Goby, Green Clown Goby, M/F Matted Files, Bluestripe Pipe, Tailspot Blenny, Canary Wrasse, Royal Gramma, Papua Toby Puffer, Snooty Maori Wrasse.
Unread 05/30/2010, 01:08 PM   #1339
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

some times the chasing is territorial if its only to "move" a fish out of ones area . if it is everywhere throughout the tank then there will usually be difficulties in stopping it . try feeding less more often first and see if it subsides . also ,you can do a bit of aquascaping and sometimes that too will help . if not i would suggest removing the aggressor and QT for a week then adding him back into the tank and again if you were to move some stuff around before the addition it may also help .you may have two juvies that are both trying to morph into male and dominate at the same time and one may precede the other thus changing back into female . usually when i have chasing issues it does subside over the period of a week or two as they figure things out .is your tank large enough for multiples ?75 gallon i do think is large enough for what you have and i would think the clown fish would be the PITA .

Dave

Unread 05/30/2010, 05:58 PM   #1340
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

my potters & one pic of MM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5695.jpg (72.8 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5702.jpg (59.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5756.jpg (67.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5841.jpg (64.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5763.jpg (73.4 KB, 57 views)
Unread 05/30/2010, 06:23 PM   #1341
Dizzle63
Registered Member

I have an established 4" potters male. I have located 2 juveniles that are healthy and eating very well. Do you guys think that they will get beat up by the male?

Dizzle63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2010, 07:50 PM   #1342
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

i would think that there could be some squabbles but i myself would take the chance as they are so beautiful. any new addition can create chaos as i have found out many times . it sometimes doesn't matter what the new fish is and it just upsets the whole karma of the tank . if he does start any antics then i would be ready to do some aquascaping to change up the territories and that will usually help things calm down . sometimes the way that the rock work is set up its impossible to do this but i have my tanks so i can easily move stuff about the tank .i wish you the best and hope that you do decide to try them as i would myself .

on another note Ralph that's an exact replica of my small potters wrasse and they look so awesome with the colors that they exhibit .such a great tank mate too as they are usually very docile .
its amazing how many people are opening their eyes to the wrasses these days and they get bought up so fast at my lfs so i have to be there every time they get fish in . usually i get them pre ordered and purchase them right in the bag as this is the best way to get them IMO .

Dave

Unread 05/31/2010, 04:30 AM   #1343
Dizzle63
Registered Member

I am going to get them on Wednesday. On a side note, I picked up a pair of Pseudojuloides ceracinus on Saturday. They are eating really well and seem to be getting along great with everyone. Pencils are highly underrated.

Dizzle63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2010, 08:51 AM   #1344
small alien
The fungus is among us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwrasseman View Post
some times the chasing is territorial if its only to "move" a fish out of ones area . if it is everywhere throughout the tank then there will usually be difficulties in stopping it . try feeding less more often first and see if it subsides . also ,you can do a bit of aquascaping and sometimes that too will help . if not i would suggest removing the aggressor and QT for a week then adding him back into the tank and again if you were to move some stuff around before the addition it may also help .you may have two juvies that are both trying to morph into male and dominate at the same time and one may precede the other thus changing back into female . usually when i have chasing issues it does subside over the period of a week or two as they figure things out .is your tank large enough for multiples ?75 gallon i do think is large enough for what you have and i would think the clown fish would be the PITA .
Thanks a lot for taking the time, Mr. Wrasseman. I appreciate it.

The chasing is definately throughout the tank. As though the one is looking for the other and when it finds it, well, you know how quickly they zip around. Yesterday, I thought I noticed the chasee kind of turn back for a second and look at the aggressor and say, hey, do we really have to keep doing this? I felt that represented a slight change. The chasee is still eating. I see it sneak out for a few mysis when I feed. I will try feeding less food more often.

When you ask if the tank has room for multiples, do you mean does it have room for the pair, or do you mean does it have room for a larger group than 2? Are trios more stable socially in general?

Are there any ways I can tell if one or both are going male? If they've both started, one can go back? I don't know if I can catch the agressor to move to QT but I could try. What would be your threshold for trying to move it out? Is it the all-over-the-tank chasing? That's been going on about a week.

I know the clowns may change their tune if they start laying and I'm definitely prepared to move them. (I'd move every fish I have to keep the leopards happy). But for now, they are extremely mellow. I have a theory they're a tiny bit dumb from being bred so much at ORA.

Thanks!

Unread 05/31/2010, 10:01 AM   #1345
alovely
Registered Member

I had a question I currently have a meleagris in my tank but plan on upgrading real soon I want to get another meleagris should I introduce them in the new tank at the same time or should I put the one I currently have in last?

alovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2010, 07:44 PM   #1346
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

since they can set stressed out easily, I would wait. that's one less move.

Unread 05/31/2010, 11:21 PM   #1347
96gts
Registered Member

Update on my Meleagris Leopard, it started eating some cyclops after about 1 week and is also eating PE Mysis and NLS pellets now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96gts View Post
I added a Meleagris Leopard Wrasse on Saturday, it went into the sand a few minutes after introducing into the tank. I didn't see it all day Sunday, but it was out when I got home from work on Monday. I fed it Rod's food, PE Mysis and Cyclops, but it was still not eating. The LFS had it for about 2 weeks before I bought it, and it's still look kinda fat. So hopefully it will start eating soon. I also have an Ornate Leopard Wrasse in the tank for about 7-8months now, along with a few other wrasses and a Blue Regal Tang.

96gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2010, 06:25 AM   #1348
ChadTheSpike
Reef Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by small alien View Post
Hey there, Mr. The Spike. Did you see much in the way of chasing as your leopards sexually differentiated themselves.

I have two 2" juvis that eat like crazy and have been super peaceful for about a month and a half. In the last several days, one has begun chasing the other.

Did you see that?

Anyone else comment on how two juvis differentiate? Is it like clowns with squabbling?

Thanks.

P.S. I LOVE LEOPARD WRASSES! There, I said it.
Quote:
Can anyone help me out with some perspective on the chasing issue. It continues. In fact, it's nearly noon and the chasee is not out yet today which is unusual. The chasing seems to be causing it a good deal of stress. Thoughts?

Thanks.
Quote:
Thanks a lot for taking the time, Mr. Wrasseman. I appreciate it.

The chasing is definately throughout the tank. As though the one is looking for the other and when it finds it, well, you know how quickly they zip around. Yesterday, I thought I noticed the chasee kind of turn back for a second and look at the aggressor and say, hey, do we really have to keep doing this? I felt that represented a slight change. The chasee is still eating. I see it sneak out for a few mysis when I feed. I will try feeding less food more often.

When you ask if the tank has room for multiples, do you mean does it have room for the pair, or do you mean does it have room for a larger group than 2? Are trios more stable socially in general?

Are there any ways I can tell if one or both are going male? If they've both started, one can go back? I don't know if I can catch the agressor to move to QT but I could try. What would be your threshold for trying to move it out? Is it the all-over-the-tank chasing? That's been going on about a week.

I know the clowns may change their tune if they start laying and I'm definitely prepared to move them. (I'd move every fish I have to keep the leopards happy). But for now, they are extremely mellow. I have a theory they're a tiny bit dumb from being bred so much at ORA.

Thanks!
Hey, sorry for the late response, busy weekend kept me away from the computer...

I havent seen any aggression between the two leopards, they are always within about 6" of one another. Sorry, I cannot help, I would defer to Dave in this matter.

One of mine looks exactly like the pic above, and the white between the spots of the other one is slightly green, like the lowest color in the anal fin above only all over, and the spots themselves look more orange than brown. Y'all think this is the beginning of a sex change?

Unread 06/01/2010, 06:41 AM   #1349
ChadTheSpike
Reef Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgentry123 View Post
i love BRK and atlantis. i'm closest to atlantis so thats the place i go most often. they really only ever seem to have the potters leopards though and i've been on the hunt for a bipart. for a while now. have you found any bipart's in the LFS's closer to you? also, i've been thinking about hitting some other LFS's in the DC area for a while but am not sure if there's really any point to, atlantis is such a great place, for the most they always have what i want and if they dont then normally BRK does. any of the other places you mentioned worth checking out? and yeah, i signed up for wamas but never actually sent my check for my annual fee or whatever it is so i think they kicked me out. i've been meaning to send it in though.
Marine scene gets them in on a reasonably frequent basis... if you sign up for their newsletter, they say most weeks what the new stock is, so you can keep an eye out for them.

I agree about Atlantis, it is better than most in the DC area. IMO, BRK is the best in the area. If you are going to go for a drive, I would recommend Exotic Aquatics or Pacific East Aquaculture, those two are both stellar and definitely worth it. Haha about WAMAS, hopefully I will see you there soon!

Unread 06/01/2010, 11:56 AM   #1350
doublejesus
bring on the price cuts!

well it's been 4 months now and my potter's is still doing well. eats some pellets, mysis and is the first fish to the nori clip when i put that in too, it loves nori!

anyone try one of these: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...68&pcatid=2968

they look amazing! wish i lived in the states haha

Current Tank Info: 180gal, 50g sump - octo extreme 200 skimmer, tunze 6105 + modded koralia 4s profilux plus II EX
doublejesus is offline   Reply With Quote