Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/17/2019, 12:55 PM   #1
kelrn98
Registered Member

Removing Biopellet reactor

I have a 300g mixed reef. I have been using biopellet reactor for several years but would like to remove it and convert to Cheato reactor primarily due to cost of biopellets. Should I remove biopellets gradually, if so, how slowly?

Current Tank Info: 96x24x30 -300g mixed reef: 75g sump, 35g fuge, 2x MP60, 4x Radion Pros, reef octopus X5000 skimmer, way too much LR and a few fish
kelrn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2019, 09:07 PM   #2
wildman926
Registered Member

Just go for it. I had a chaeto reactor, but my ATS beat it out for removing nutrients.

The search function actually works quite well!!

Tanks:Planet Aquarium 150g LPS, Planet Aquarium 90g Softie

Last edited by wildman926; 05/21/2020 at 07:22 PM.
wildman926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2019, 12:57 AM   #3
Yin_Yang247
Registered Member

I recommend you do sugar dosing since your system is adapted for carbon dosing. Sugar dosing is cheaper than bio-pellets and very easy too. Cheato will help but not as well as carbon dosing since carbon dosing effects as tank very fast in a matter of less than 6 hours you'll notice bacteria bloom after providing a carbon source. Cheato takes weeks to have any large impact on water quality.

Yin_Yang247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2019, 07:38 AM   #4
Thinner25
Registered Member

In my experience, you can just go for it. Last month I just pulled out my bio-pellet reactor and everything was fine as far as my livestock is concerned (FOWLR). But after approximately 5 days my nitrates started to rise to 20ppm. The point being here is that just watch you nitrates because as it was mentioned on the previous post, your system is used to have that bio-pellet reactor. I would suggest to find the right balance until you have your new reactor up to speed. (sugar dosing or vodka dosing). Your goal is not to 0 out the nitrates but at least to help your system for the moment to avoid a spike in nitrates.

Another idea is to maybe just reduce your pellets (maybe leave 25%) while you have your other reactor is getting started. I am not sure if you have the capability of doing that.. not sure if you have a manifold for your reactors.

Thinner25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2019, 08:40 AM   #5
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Do everything in the hobby slowly.

Do you need the bio pellets? I would set up the chaeto reactor if you want to go that route, and slowly start removing they pellets, maybe 25% per week, and monitor nitrates twice a week to see the impact. I'd also try to start with a good sized ball of chaeto to begin with so it had a chance of growing and competing with the pellets.

I would not really start carbon dosing with vodka or sugar, since your trying to move away from carbon dosing. If you do decide to sick with carbon dosing, you could switch to vodka which is pretty inexpensive.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2019, 09:47 AM   #6
reefgeezer
Registered Member

It really depends on the efficiency of your biopellet reactor. If it is very efficient, the bacteria responsible for the nitrifying process may be depressed. Removing it all at once might result in a slight ammonia spike and/or rapidly rising nitrates. If the reactor isn't overly efficient, it really won't matter.

I'd go slow regardless... it ought to be a rule!

Current Tank Info: In-process, 90 Gallon SPS Reef
reefgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2019, 07:11 AM   #7
kelrn98
Registered Member

I have actually noticed some dinos over last week which I presume is related to nonexistent levels of nitrate and phosphate. I plan to remove the biopellets slowly, reduce skimming somewhat while monitoring nitrates and phosphates. I may ultimately need to dose phos and nitrogen. I would rather aggressively address the dinos asap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 96x24x30 -300g mixed reef: 75g sump, 35g fuge, 2x MP60, 4x Radion Pros, reef octopus X5000 skimmer, way too much LR and a few fish
kelrn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2019, 10:25 AM   #8
wildman926
Registered Member

Here is my mixed SPS/LPS 150g. All I run is an ATS and a good Protien Skimmer. I don't dose, have fancy equipment, just good lighting, and good removal of excess nutrients, lots of live rock. I grow hair algae where I want to, to remove excess nutrients. I have not done a water change in over a year. When my salinity goes low, I just put fresh sw mix in my ato to slowly bring it back up. I actually have to start removing corals to make room for others to grow.

The search function actually works quite well!!

Tanks:Planet Aquarium 150g LPS, Planet Aquarium 90g Softie

Last edited by wildman926; 05/21/2020 at 07:22 PM.
wildman926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2019, 02:36 AM   #9
gprdypoo04
Registered Member

I had run bio pellets for over a year and dropped my nitrates from 40 ish to around 8 ppm. Took it out last Oct. and ran cheato in it with no increase in nitrates but it's the phosphates I'm trying to reduce.

gprdypoo04 is offline   Reply With Quote