Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/16/2018, 01:47 PM   #1
chicagodunc
Registered Member

BioCube 32 LED in Classroom

Hi all!

I've been lurking around reading up on things for a while and saw a few other teachers who lit the fires but didn't seem to kick the tires on their attempts to have a reef tank in their classrooms. I'm hoping to start strong so I don't fall into this category as well. I am reaching out for some suggestions/guidance on startup. Here are the materials I've been able to procure thus far:

1. I have the BioCube 32
2. I've set up an AquaFX RO/DI System
3. I have the inTank fuge basket and media basket
4. I have 2 Jebao PP-4 wavemakers
5. I've got an AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro
6. I have an Eheim Jager 100W heater
7. I have an InkBird Dual Temperature Controller
8. I have a digital thermometer
9. I have the CoraLife Protein Skimmer (I know most hate this, but I didn't have total control over the materials I could manage to get)
10. I just got 40lbs of CaribSea Live Sand
11. I've got Seachem Purigen and Matrix
12. I've got Chemi-pure elite

I still need to figure out if I should go with the live rock (which is what I want) and where to get it as well as how exactly to go about filling the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd chambers and how to set up the media basket and fuge.

I'll include some pictures of the area and set up thus far. I appreciate any feedback around materials and best ways to structure things in the BioCube.

-Chris

chicagodunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 02:33 PM   #2
ahuaia
Registered Member

I would say get some rock from pet co or some other lfs if you want live that way you can pick out what you like just treat it with some coral dip to help remove as many pests as possible. Drinking rock is better for preventing pest invasion but not absolutely necessary.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ahuaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 02:33 PM   #3
ahuaia
Registered Member

*dry rock

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ahuaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 07:20 AM   #4
Cloudburst2000
Registered Member

I would get dry rock and seed the tank with a couple pieces of live rock. This is cheaper and you don't miss out on biodiversity found with live rock. Make sure to quarantine the live rock first in a quarantine tank so you can remove any unwanted critters there. Much easier to handle this way as it can be a major pain to get rid of unwanted critters if they go directly in the main tank. Also, you need to set up a quarantine tank. Quarantine all fishes before putting in main tank. A QT tank can be set up for cheap. I just bought a cheapy 10g tank, a cheap powerhead, a heater, and a sponge filter. Teach the kids how to do the tank right. The responsible thing is to quarantine livestock.

Cloudburst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote