Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/14/2017, 05:13 PM   #1
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Blonde Naso, who has successfully kept one or a pair

Like the title states. I have tried them now two different times and it always ends one of two ways. Either they never eat and die or they live for less than 1 year and die for no apparent reason. I suspect they died or didn't eat because of cyanide but I can't confirm that. Those who have had one or a pair for over a year, where did they come from and did you do anything special for them?

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 05:29 PM   #2
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Blonde Naso, who has successfully kept one or a pair

I kept a blonde with streamers for a few years before I had to sell it for a move. I didn’t do anything special for it and I was a noob back then lol. 2008-2012.

Also it was bought a bit young I think it was about 3-4 inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Pslreefer; 11/14/2017 at 05:34 PM.
Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 05:52 PM   #3
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Here it is from October 2010. Had to go back and look in my Atlanta reef club posts. Wow time flies! Miss that fish and the saddle back

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 06:44 PM   #4
SammyL
Reefer

I have given up on them as I have no idea why they never work for me, I currently have other tangs that are over 5 years old. Almost all make it through QT but never truly adapt to the display tank.

Current Tank Info: 180 DT, 705 Hydor Skimmer, 55 gallong sump with fuge, 2 x Lumentek 240 Pro
SammyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2017, 07:12 PM   #5
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

The last one I tried never was interested in food no matter what I offered. They are such beautiful fish and would really like one for my tank but after three tries with a single fish species, I think it will be time to throw in the towel. I can't see getting a fish that doesn't live even if I get a refund

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Unread 11/14/2017, 08:25 PM   #6
Pericyte
Registered Member

I have had one for just over 2 years now. Very easy fish, went from 3 inches to 8 inches (not including his streamers) in that time. Big fish, fat fish, and a fast grower.

Honestly, he is one of the best personalities in the tank. Very gentle natured. He recognizes me and comes to greet me when I stand next to the tank (far and away my wife's favorite fish), we got an 8 foot long 300 gallon just for him. Hopefully its big enough for at least a couple years!!

I got mine from live aquaria when they were on sale a couple years ago. I fed it mysis during quarantine, now I feed the tank 2-3 sheets of nori and mysis every day.

One thought: You may consider quarantining it with another fish. Now he is a confident fish, but when I got him he was timid and preferred to be close to other fish.

Wish I could get a pic of him raising his doral fin, it is ridiculously awesome.

Good luck!

-Scott

Last edited by Pericyte; 11/14/2017 at 08:37 PM.
Pericyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 04:39 AM   #7
thomashtom
Registered Member

Hi yeah, never had much success with them either. Lives for maybe a year and then just dies.

thomashtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 08:21 AM   #8
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomashtom View Post
Hi yeah, never had much success with them either. Lives for maybe a year and then just dies.
Same problem, multiple times over past 40 yrs.

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 09:04 AM   #9
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano

Back in my younger days, I always had a Naso, and they lived for a long time with no issues.

A few years ago I thought I'd get a pair. When snorkeling in Hawaii I noticed I always saw them swimming in pairs. So I got two, a male and a female, but blonde. They didn't last long. I got another pair. Also didn't last long (a few months generally). I got another, single this time. It disappeared. Got another pair. One died. The remaining one seemed to do well. Then I discovered (6 months later) that there was a Naso in my overflow. I rescued it and put it in the tank. This was the one that had disappeared 6 months previously. Now I had two healthy adjusted Nasos , but they were both male. No matter - I was happy to have them and they got along well. They lived about 2 more years then died for some unknown reason.

I have also suspected that cyanide is the reason for their short lives.

Current Tank Info: 240 gal Fish-Only, 13-gal w/ clowns
pinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 09:22 AM   #10
anbosu
Registered Member

Try to get one collected in Hawaii.

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 09:54 AM   #11
rvareef
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbosu View Post
Try to get one collected in Hawaii.
+1 these are my favorite!

rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 10:27 AM   #12
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

I was unaware that blonde nasos were found/collected in Hawaii. I prefer the Blonde over the regular naso any day of the week but the success stories seem to be few and far between.

Unread 11/15/2017, 10:29 AM   #13
pinnatus
RIP Ludinano

Blondes are not from Hawaii. Blacks are, though.

Is Hawaii still "closed"?

Current Tank Info: 240 gal Fish-Only, 13-gal w/ clowns
pinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 12:36 PM   #14
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Only for private collectors, if you have a commercial license it's still ok to collect but not everywhere. It most affects small fish since you aren't allowed to use certain sized nets is what I have gathered. Flame wrasse for instance have become very scarce and pricing will go up significantly

Unread 11/15/2017, 01:22 PM   #15
Optionman
Registered Member

have had a blonde naso along with hippo and yellow tang for about a year now. they all get along and they attack nori/seaweed. naso will take it right out of my hand. he is fat and happy.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ORG_DSC01874.jpg (58.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg ORG_DSC01878.jpg (63.0 KB, 20 views)
Optionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 03:19 PM   #16
trembz
Registered Member

Have had many over the years. Have had mine for 2 years and got it from another member who had it a year.
In my experience both times I bought a large one (5+") they thrive, eat and are very hardy (here in Canada there's also a hefty price tag on large ones here)
Every other time I bought a smaller one (4times), they perish within a few months.
Just my 2cents

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

trembz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 03:23 PM   #17
trembz
Registered Member

Not the best pic at all but here he is when I first got.him

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

trembz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 05:11 PM   #18
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Well when/if I try one again, it will be a larger one I guess. I really enjoy getting fish when they are small and watching them grow up in my care though.

Unread 11/15/2017, 05:38 PM   #19
WLachnit
Registered Member

Didn’t realize that some people struggled with this species. I have had my blonde Naso for 10y now. He was somewhat small then. He has fully matured with nice streamers. When I first got him, wasn’t sure if he was male or female. Oddly enough, he is the only Tang in my tank that doesn’t eat mysis. He devours pellets and Nori though.

WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 06:00 PM   #20
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

For those who have kept one with success (I will call success 2 years or more) where did yours originate from and how large was the Naso when you got it?