Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/11/2014, 05:27 PM   #176
Scorpius
Stick Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReefNinja View Post
not everybody has a quarantine set up if I buy a fish from a fish store and they tell me its healthy I expect it to be healthy. I have been in this for over 12 years and have never had an issue.
Well then that's the gamble you play. You lost this time.

Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2014, 06:41 PM   #177
mrbnx
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Well then that's the gamble you play. You lost this time.
Rude much? I'm pretty sure the intention of the thread was for people to leave feedback on LFS. Some are shadier than others, but when you get conflicting info from the employees, it benefits to warn the community. Loss is part of the hobby, and mourning loss shouldn't be frowned upon. I've gone through the "add a fish, lose 10" thing before, so I can sympathize.

Tom, don't sweat this troll from Japan...

mrbnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2014, 08:33 PM   #178
TheReefNinja
Imagination superfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbnx View Post
Rude much? I'm pretty sure the intention of the thread was for people to leave feedback on LFS. Some are shadier than others, but when you get conflicting info from the employees, it benefits to warn the community. Loss is part of the hobby, and mourning loss shouldn't be frowned upon. I've gone through the "add a fish, lose 10" thing before, so I can sympathize.

lmao I dont sweat things from Japan.... only radiation lol. I was just letting peeps know my experence with that LFS and to be leary of stuff they pick up... no matter where they buy it from. Yes it is a gamble but in this hobby it seems like now a days the only safe place to buy from is a friends tank that you personally know is healthy. Kinda sad really. Gotta worry about that new fish killing off your system.

Current tank: 45g acrylic cube, Sunpod 150w 14k bulb
Current Fish: Hey I gots some fish..
TheReefNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2014, 08:35 PM   #179
Scorpius
Stick Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbnx View Post

He didn't quarantine his fish and blames the fish store. Yes, he received two different stories on how long they quarantined the fish he bought and yet he still put them in his DT. I fail to see the logic in blaming the fish store for his error. It's a golden rule that everyone preaches on this forum to quarantine new arrivals. It sucks that he lost his fish. It sucks more that he put his fish through this because it was to much of a bother for him to quarantine.

Oh and by the way I am not a troll from Japan, just a person concerned for the welfare of animals that people needlessly kill.

Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2014, 07:40 AM   #180
Tank2379
Registered Member

Quote:
I usually dont post bad things about places but I thought I would share my recent adventure with reefwise that led to me loosing all my fish...

I stopped in there I'd say a month ago and picked up 3 cromis's I was told they were fully QT'd from one of the guys then the other said they only had the fish about 4 days so which is it..... Ended up buying 3 of them and after getting them home and in my tank one went missing in the first 15 minutes of having it. The next day in the evening a few of my fish had signs of ich, now mind you my tank and livestock was healthy the only change were these 3 new fish in over a month.

We started a ich treatment and by the end of the next night we lost all fish except my clown and one of our firefish, the next day all fish were dead. $400 in fish dead in days after adding these fish.

Everytime I went in there they quoted me high prices on the polyp frags like $55 for a 15ish polyp frag of watermelons which should sell for no more than a buck a polyp. Their Ricordia is WAY over priced. The one time I went in there looking for a return pump he said he didnt have any I asked if he could order one and he said it wasnt worth it to him to order me just 1 thing. I should of stopped there and never came back but I figured I would try again. The day we bought the 3 cromis I was told 2 different prices on a fish when I asked about a few others and said wait how much was this one again.... Lesson learned I wont be shopping with them any more and I hope anyone doing business there really thinks twice about what they are purchasing.
You ever heard of Marine Velvet disease? Sounds more than likely your system go hit with this. Ich doesn't wipe out your fish over night unless they already had it in there system for a few days or weeks. Marine Velvet will take out your fish over night and within days if adding new fish to your system that have this disease. Everyone should QT fish regardless of what the LFS says- they are in the business to sell just like any other fish store. I know some that practice QTing not saying they don't because most, now in days are starting to. But just be careful when adding new fish to your system. I would recommend setting up a QT in the future to prevent that from happening again.

80G Frag system- Powered by 2X MH Pendants with 250W 20K Radiums, DIY S
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2014, 09:02 AM   #181
scubadan206
Registered Member

Always quarantine every fish!!!!!!!
If not, buy through someone you trust to do it specifically for you. Yes, it will cost more, but the health of your charges is worth it.
If you don't, you only get to play the game for a little while longer than the next guy. In the end, your tank will crash. HARD.
All the experts will tell you the same. For anyone who says that they are opposed, or that it's not necessary, I would start to question their right to be in this hobby.
BTW. No one should take this too personal. It's not meant to be.

Some fish stores maintain two completely separate systems. On for holding normal fish, and another for holding sensitive fish and inverts. The normal fish are kept in tanks permanently dosed with copper. Another option is to keep a fish only tank. Not having inverts in the tank means that you can administer the proper meds without worrying about killing off half your tank inhabitants.
Daniel.

scubadan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2014, 12:18 PM   #182
TheReefNinja
Imagination superfreak

I'm not taking anything personal I'm just telling my experience and hoping others learn from my mistake by taking a stores word for it. This store has burned a few people I know and I felt this should be known. I will be setting up a qt tank this time around I just thought this was one of the more trustworthy stores out there.

Current tank: 45g acrylic cube, Sunpod 150w 14k bulb
Current Fish: Hey I gots some fish..
TheReefNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2014, 04:54 PM   #183
e55driver
Registered Member

I know that the store in question has a great QT schedule, I gave it to them, and it came from the Shed.

e55driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2014, 04:56 PM   #184
e55driver
Registered Member

They may have chosen not to use it because of the cost of some of the meds.

e55driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2014, 08:52 AM   #185
scubadan206
Registered Member

I remember seeing a post by Nineball [Peter], where he purchased a few clowns. When he got home he was curious about the strange way the fish were behaving. He tested the water and found they were bagged in almost straight RO water[1.001]. Wow!! Is this something a LFS will do to simulate a freshwater dip or something? This store would be somewhere in Toronto area...
Daniel.

scubadan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2014, 06:26 AM   #186
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank2379 View Post
You ever heard of Marine Velvet disease? Sounds more than likely your system go hit with this. Ich doesn't wipe out your fish over night unless they already had it in there system for a few days or weeks. Marine Velvet will take out your fish over night and within days if adding new fish to your system that have this disease. Everyone should QT fish regardless of what the LFS says- they are in the business to sell just like any other fish store. I know some that practice QTing not saying they don't because most, now in days are starting to. But just be careful when adding new fish to your system. I would recommend setting up a QT in the future to prevent that from happening again.
The time line of the mortality suggests a parasite other than cryptocaryon irritans since ich tends to overwhelm over time rather than kill quickly. Velvet is a possibility but with chromis involved, uronema marinum is also in play. Any time a fish is placed into a fish system at a local fish store, any previous quarantine protocol is invalidated. Oh, and by the way, a non-therapeutic dose of copper will mask velvet and ich which will then show up approximately three weeks later. Just an FYI.

Unread 06/08/2014, 01:57 PM   #187
Kmiec123
Actual CMAS Member

Quote:

We started a ich treatment and by the end of the next night we lost all fish....
ReefNinja....Ich is normal in most stressed fish...What what the Treatment you did? That would be my guess on most of the trouble.

Current Tank Info: All-Glass 120 Gal #12348 W/ Dual overflow 48x24x24. Dual 400w MH with VHO atintic. Rod's sump design with old Euro reef skimmer Wife's tank 55 Gal w/cylone Bio-filter #cy194 w/ Sendra 3500 on Skimmer. Korella's for flow.
Kmiec123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2014, 09:43 PM   #188
SkullV
They Got My Number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmiec123 View Post
ReefNinja....Ich is normal in most stressed fish...What what the Treatment you did? That would be my guess on most of the trouble.
No parasite is normal in most stressed fish. If the parasite isn't introduced into the system it will not be present on any fish, stressed or not.

SkullV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2014, 12:46 PM   #189
Tank2379
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
The time line of the mortality suggests a parasite other than cryptocaryon irritans since ich tends to overwhelm over time rather than kill quickly. Velvet is a possibility but with chromis involved, uronema marinum is also in play. Any time a fish is placed into a fish system at a local fish store, any previous quarantine protocol is invalidated. Oh, and by the way, a non-therapeutic dose of copper will mask velvet and ich which will then show up approximately three weeks later. Just an FYI.
Awesome good to know ... That's why QT is a must with any fish

80G Frag system- Powered by 2X MH Pendants with 250W 20K Radiums, DIY S
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2014, 04:43 PM   #190
1000rrstunna
Registered Member

Went to beyond the reef today... Not impressed

1000rrstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2014, 01:28 AM   #191
Ridgeway Swiss
A Member

Guys a quick question.

I'm at an expo at the McCormick centre in a couple of weeks, there for a few days. I need to pick up some Neptune Apex parts and wondered which shop is my best bet in that area ? I'll be staying down town but don't mind taking a cab ride out to within reason to find a good store ?

What do you you reckon ?

Ridgeway Swiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2014, 09:18 AM   #192
fredfish13
Registered Member

if you want stores close to there, try calling Old Town Aquarium or New Fish to see if they have parts in stock first. Those 2 should be the closest to downtown.

BC29- mj1200 pump, wp-10 ph, rapidled retro kit, avast ato, apex lite
fredfish13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2014, 08:49 AM   #193
Quiverfull
Registered Member

Any suggestions for an sps store on the south side near palos park? In town for a few days and would like to check out some sps stores. Thanks for the info.

Current Tank Info: 120g Oceanic RR 250w HQI MH x 2 and T5 x 2, Euroreef CS6-2 skimmer, 37g Oceanic Show live rock and powerheads only Ecotech 24 in Marine LED, AGA 92g Corner bowfront
Quiverfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2014, 07:25 AM   #194
fishonly tank
Moved On

Thanks for the post

fishonly tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2014, 05:57 AM   #195
danielp
Registered Member

I do not remember if I asked about it before but any opinions on Xzotic Aquatic World Inc. in Bensenville?
I want to check them out, just do not know if its worth the trip from Chicago.
By the way a week ago I was in Aquapros (I feel like I am their spokesman), what a great store it is, cannot beat their frags.
The only problem I had on monday they posted on fb their deal for turbo snails, on wednesday afternoon I was lucky enough to get the last one

Current Tank Info: 50g cube reef, 16 gal nano, 100gal FOWLR to be build at some point this year
danielp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2014, 07:21 AM   #196
crawling junk
Registered Member

Do not go to xzotic. That place is dirty and all their lifestock is sick

Last edited by Sugar Magnolia; 10/29/2014 at 07:50 AM.
crawling junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2014, 02:01 AM   #197
danielp
Registered Member

Anybody else?

Current Tank Info: 50g cube reef, 16 gal nano, 100gal FOWLR to be build at some point this year
danielp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2014, 10:03 AM   #198
Dugless
Registered Member

So for the serious SPS focused hobbyist, the consensus is Reefwise? I'm going to be passing through Chicago in a few weeks and would like to visit a store with a good selections of Acros. Thanks in advance.

Dugless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2014, 12:14 PM   #199
Dgagvgeg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugless View Post
So for the serious SPS focused hobbyist, the consensus is Reefwise? I'm going to be passing through Chicago in a few weeks and would like to visit a store with a good selections of Acros. Thanks in advance.
Reefwise is a really nice place.

Dgagvgeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2014, 10:42 AM   #200
blusun2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000rrstunna View Post
Went to beyond the reef today... Not impressed
n00bie chiming in here, we went to the Aquarium Experience last weekend and purchased a 2g Nano tank from Beyond The Reef at the show. They told us we'd be ok to keep a single clown fish in the tank. I ended up going to Aquarium Adventure and bought salt water and live rock and went to Beyond the Reef for live sand, because AA only sells in the 10 or 20# bags, which we needed barely 1.5#, which we got from BTR. They were pushing pretty hard at both the expo and the shop that it's ok to put a fish in, but my experience in Freshwater fish tells me no (and it also told me no to a 2G, but that's another story)

I started a thread in the noob section with pics of the 2G tank and the rocks:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2456748

blusun2 is offline   Reply With Quote