Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/17/2019, 08:23 PM   #1
Gangrene
Registered Member

Marine Ich, How?

I'll never understand this stuff. It's the bane of my saltwater fish keeping.

My last issue with ich was May. Total annihilation of my fish... luckily I really only had 4 before I added the ich magnets that Green Chromis appear to be... both of my issues with ich originated with Chromis. My previous issue being years ago. After all my fish died in that tank I waited two months and have a Lawnmower bleeny in that tank, which is fine... Their life cycle should last 2 months hence that tank should be "ich free". Here comes the crazy stuff.

So, I started a new tank. This tank has NEVER had fish, it's new. After it being setup for a while I just put my first two fish in it. Saltwater mollies. They were freshwater mollies. Over the last several months my LFS converted them to saltwater and they've been doing fine for months in converted saltwater over there. No issues. They came from fresh water originally that was changed to salt water... so how could marine ich be present in that tank? It couldn't be safer right? I bought two of them and brought them home, of course no signs if ich. I put them in my NEW saltwater tank on the 15th. I SLOWLY acclimated them from the 1.022 at the store to my 1.025... I measured the water at 1.023, 1.024, and almost 1.025 when I added them to the tank. Now two days later I think I'm seeing signs of one of the fish having ich on it... How is this possible?!? They come from fresh converted to salt, so marine ich couldn't be present from where they came from... and now they are in a tank that have never seen a fish in it period... How could they have ich?!? Someone please explain this because I'm extremely frustrated. I was going to try moving my bleeny over, but now I'm stopping everything. I really don't even know how this is even possible to happen.

Gangrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2019, 07:47 AM   #2
nereefpat
Registered Member

2 months "may" not have been long enough. The fallow period for marine ich is 76 days to be 100% sure.

Anything from a local fish store is potentially carrying ich. The mollies could have been exposed once in saltwater above hypo-salinity conditions via water changes, nets, aerosol, etc.

I'm not sure if any of that helps you now...What I would do, is use Tank Transfer Method or copper on the blenny, mollies, and any new fish. Then place them in a clean tank while your display remains fallow (without fish) for 76 days. Tanks also should be as far apart as feasible to prevent splashing or aerosol transfer.

Let's bug @HumbleFish while we're at it.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2019, 08:15 AM   #3
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

+1^ The mollies got the ich from the tank(s) they were in at the LFS. You should really invest in another small tank for QT. You should assume all fish have at least one disease/problem if not several.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2019, 08:59 AM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Cryptocaryon isn't really that difficult to deal with once you understand it.
But there are some things most people don't know.
Cryptocaryon cysts can go into a nearly indefinite (months, maybe up to a year or two) hibernation mode under certain conditions. Two of those are:
- temperature below 19 °C
- low oxygen/anaerobic conditions.

Also, fish can aquire various levels of immunity against nearly every parasite there is. So just because a fish doesn't show symptoms doesn't mean it is free of pathogens.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2019, 09:52 AM   #5
kenpau
Registered Member

This is really unfortunate but it does highlight the importance of quarantine for all incoming fish. There are various different methods of quarantining but we should all have a system in place for treating all fish before adding to the display, for the money it costs to run a QT there really is no justification for not having one.

Current Tank Info: 220 Gallon mixed reef
kenpau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2019, 10:00 AM   #6
HumbleFish
Moved On

Letting your LFS convert the black mollies to SW was the fatal flaw. Once they were in full seawater, cross contamination from another tank most likely occurred.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2019, 10:38 AM   #7
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFish View Post
Letting your LFS convert the black mollies to SW was the fatal flaw. Once they were in full seawater, cross contamination from another tank most likely occurred.
Yep, never let the LFS do what you can do yourself.
And especially when it comes to quarantineing fish I don't trust anyone. Heck, I barely trust myself with that... how could I trust an LFS?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2019, 12:02 PM   #8
ClownReef®
Bubbletrousing

Why do people cycle fish with freshwater fish?

Go to the grocery store, buy A fresh shrimp, thrown it in your sump in a mesh bag and watch the tank cycle.

Mollies...lol

Unread 09/18/2019, 10:22 PM   #9
Cancun
Registered Member

Wow! Sorry for your troubles! I definitely know how frustrating that can be!

I also agree that their must have been cross contamination at the LFS. I love my LFS, but in this hobby the only one I trust a 100% is me.....lol...I have made my share of mistakes over the years in this hobby for sure, but at least I had no one to blame but myself.... LOL.

The advice on here from these guys is excellent. Probably not what you want to hear though. Good luck!

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
Cancun is offline   Reply With Quote