Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/13/2021, 12:02 PM   #1
Mikefallen13
Registered Member

CB Coral Beauty in a reef tank

Just curious if anyone has given this a shot yet

As they are probably my favorite Centropyge species, I've tried a few times with WC specimens and had basically no success, all began eating corals within a month or two. I know sometimes captive raised fish are less prone to bother corals and I'm really tempted to give it a go, but figured I'd see if anyone else has had success or failure with them before I go get one. Appreciate any info!

Current Tank Info: 55 Gallon Gorgonian/Softie Reef, 14 Gallon BioCube
Mikefallen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2021, 08:30 PM   #2
michealprater
Angelfish Nerd

Mine nips a polyp or two but it’s incidental because all he does is graze. He has never done permanent damage to any corals. I have owned others in the reef tanks in the past. I would confidently call them reef safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder Reef
michealprater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2021, 08:53 PM   #3
Imaexpat2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealprater View Post
Mine nips a polyp or two but it’s incidental because all he does is graze. He has never done permanent damage to any corals. I have owned others in the reef tanks in the past. I would confidently call them reef safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am very much in the same camp. I dont think I would go so far as to say they are reef safe even though they are one of my favorite fish. I think in a larger system such as perhaps something the size of a 125 gallon or bigger it might be reasonably safe to take a gamble on one, but not a smaller tank. At least in a larger system if you get one that has a tendency to nip at corals your system is large enough and you have enough corals that no one coral is likely to get nipped at often enough to cause any significant damage. But they do have that reputation and if you get one, you have to understand the corals or the fish has to go! These days I appreciate my high end Acro Frags that I paid 200 plus dollars for too much to risk it. YMMV...

Imaexpat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2021, 04:36 AM   #4
aikenreefkeeper
Registered Member

I had one in my reef a few years ago. It never bothered anything. I had only LPS.

aikenreefkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2021, 07:57 AM   #5
Mikefallen13
Registered Member

Thanks guys! I think I'm going to give it a go.

My tank is currently mostly soft coral, with a few random LPS, so I think an occasional nibble wouldn't do much harm considering how fast everything grows. The few individuals I had trouble with were all full adult size, and definitely didn't just 'nip', though that was in a tank with mostly SPS corals and a few really meaty LPS. Again, I'm sort of hoping the fact these have been raised on captive diet since day one may help dissuade them, I'll definitely make sure it stays well fed as well.

I guess I'll update this with my findings, good or bad lol

Current Tank Info: 55 Gallon Gorgonian/Softie Reef, 14 Gallon BioCube

Last edited by Mikefallen13; 02/14/2021 at 08:11 AM.
Mikefallen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2021, 12:09 PM   #6
Imaexpat2
Registered Member

Good luck with it and may "The Force" be with you. Coral Beauty's have always been one of my favorite fish and something I have wanted more than a Flame Angel that most choose. But then again I have always been a "Off the Beaten Path" kinda guy more times than not.

Imaexpat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2021, 12:12 PM   #7
Fiish
Registered Member

I'm sure the fact that it's CB will help, however I don't think it's possible that a "habit" like pinching coral is completely lost. But I think you don't have to worry if your reef is healthy, plus I have read stories that C. bispinosus performs well in reef tanks, so good luck and keep that fish well fed that will lower the risk even more.