Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/25/2014, 12:43 PM   #1
vlangel
Registered Member

Tips on raising fry?

Hi, my male H erectus is due to have baby seahorses any day now. Originally I wasn't going to raise any babies and I have 1 or 2 local reef club members going to take them. However I made a small diy 1/2 gallon goldfish bowl in tank nursery, 'kreisel' type and wondered about keeping 10 of the babies to try. How many times a day is a good feeding schedule? How do you know when to raise the newly hatched brine to a larger size to meet the little seahorses needs. I have Dan's feed and selcon for enrichment of the bb. Any other helpful hints would be appreciated.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2014, 05:16 AM   #2
JLynn
Registered Member

You should feed them at least as often as the adults. I don't know if feeding them more often is necessary. Dan's Feed and Selcon add some nutrition to bbs, but it is not enough to get high survival rates. Copepods are by far the best, but if you can't do them, then rotifers are decent as well. If you can't culture them, I would at the very least buy some and feed them as a supplement to the enriched bbs.

On a different note, make sure not to put a light at the top of the tank. Fry will go towards the light, and if it is at the top, they will swim to the surface and can get hurt/killed. If you light the tank, put the light either at the bottom, or pointing into the sides.

Good filtration is a must, of course... Seeded sponges, filter floss, etc. UV filters are good if you have one handy. Somewhere on seahorse.org, Dan has a thread with pictures of a scaled version of his fry rearing set ups, and includes details on the filtration. I would take tips from that, to be sure.

That about exhausts my knowledge and secondhand knowledge of the topic. You would probably also find it helpful to check out the threads on the subject at seahorse.org and mbisite. Good luck!

JLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2014, 12:31 PM   #3
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLynn View Post
You should feed them at least as often as the adults. I don't know if feeding them more often is necessary. Dan's Feed and Selcon add some nutrition to bbs, but it is not enough to get high survival rates. Copepods are by far the best, but if you can't do them, then rotifers are decent as well. If you can't culture them, I would at the very least buy some and feed them as a supplement to the enriched bbs.

On a different note, make sure not to put a light at the top of the tank. Fry will go towards the light, and if it is at the top, they will swim to the surface and can get hurt/killed. If you light the tank, put the light either at the bottom, or pointing into the sides.

Good filtration is a must, of course... Seeded sponges, filter floss, etc. UV filters are good if you have one handy. Somewhere on seahorse.org, Dan has a thread with pictures of a scaled version of his fry rearing set ups, and includes details on the filtration. I would take tips from that, to be sure.

That about exhausts my knowledge and secondhand knowledge of the topic. You would probably also find it helpful to check out the threads on the subject at seahorse.org and mbisite. Good luck!
Thank you, those are helpful tips. I especially appreciate about the light being at the top of the nursery, which is where mine is but I will move it. I have the 'in tank' nursery in the sump so moving the light is not a problem. Also my filtration should be excellent since the nursery is in the sump of my 65g system. I am thinking food is going to be my biggest challenge as I struggled with rotifer cultures in the past and have never tried copepods. Anyway, you have helped me identify my weak areas. Thank you again.

Unread 10/28/2014, 01:49 PM   #4
myfavoritereef
Registered Member

Hello! I have been raising H. Erectus for about a year is it is quite challenging and yet rewarding. I have been raising the fry on fortified bbs and then adult enriched brine shrimp. Once they are large enough to eat the adult brine and thriving, I convert them to frozen mysis. The biggest challenge I have had is with bacteria growth . I am now using Formalin MS to treat the fry tank as recommended by Dan at Seahorse Source. Dan is by far the best authority on raising seahorses. Good Luck!

myfavoritereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2014, 06:27 PM   #5
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfavoritereef View Post
Hello! I have been raising H. Erectus for about a year is it is quite challenging and yet rewarding. I have been raising the fry on fortified bbs and then adult enriched brine shrimp. Once they are large enough to eat the adult brine and thriving, I convert them to frozen mysis. The biggest challenge I have had is with bacteria growth . I am now using Formalin MS to treat the fry tank as recommended by Dan at Seahorse Source. Dan is by far the best authority on raising seahorses. Good Luck!
That's very encouraging because that is how I hoped to raise them. Is there any benefit to using Sanolife mic-f, (probiotic)to also help control bacteria in the fry tank? Where do you get Formalin MS? I have Rid Ich on hand that contains formalin but I don't know how it compares. Yes, Dan gave me some very helpful tips right before my seahorses arrived and I was extremely appreciative.

Unread 10/29/2014, 04:18 PM   #6
vlangel
Registered Member

I know this is a terrible pic but here are my seahorses babies! There are only about 20-25. I have seen them eat but they are often just floating tail to tail. They aren't hitching yet but most of the babies are 1/2". I will try to feed them 4-5 times a day then clean their nursery of the uneaten bb. The 2nd pic is of the nursery.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_9804.jpg (41.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 100_9802.jpg (53.8 KB, 55 views)
Unread 10/30/2014, 03:35 PM   #7
redhorse
Registered Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
See --- right on time. :-)

What happens when you turn the light and circulation off in their nursery?

Plus, can you send a view that is of the whole set-up?

Thanks!

Place some real or fake plants at the top and bottom because they might be pushed by the current and can only hitch to each other.

Those are some big babies.

redhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2014, 04:55 PM   #8
Misled
RC Mod

Thanks Dawn!!! Little guys are floatin in the bag to adjust temp. They are so damn cute!!! I have to get my camera from my shop. Pics will follow!!!!

Unread 10/30/2014, 05:07 PM   #9
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhorse View Post
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
See --- right on time. :-)

What happens when you turn the light and circulation off in their nursery?

Plus, can you send a view that is of the whole set-up?

Thanks!

Place some real or fake plants at the top and bottom because they might be pushed by the current and can only hitch to each other.

Those are some big babies.
Thanks redhorse. Yep, they came in 19 days. They always have some circulation because I have airline tubing in the middle of the rounded part of the fishbowl. I have a valve on it to control the bubbles. The aqualifter pump brings in filtered water from the main system and the dirtier water in their nursery goes out the screened 1" hole cut in the side of the fishbowl. It also flushes any uneaten bb out the screen as well so I remove it for about an hour each time they eat which is 5 Xs a day but then replace it when they are done. I will try to get a better pic of the sump with the nursery in it so you can see the big picture. The light placed near the bottom of the nursery creates a lot of glare and makes it difficult to get a good pic. There is some fake plants in the nursery but they didn't show in the pics I took. Pretty much each baby is about a half inch and they are growing already. They have voracious appetites.

Unread 10/30/2014, 05:20 PM   #10
redhorse
Registered Member

Here is what I had a few years back. I am sure using your sump helps keep it cleaner.
Before I learned the importance of feeding enriched foods, these guys lived off of pods from the tank and bbs newborns only.
Even at 3 months old and 2"+ they enjoyed their tiny foods. Then went on to frozen and adulthood. (I would not recommend what I did)
Happy growing!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 095.jpg (31.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 079.jpg (48.7 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by redhorse; 10/30/2014 at 05:26 PM.
Unread 10/30/2014, 05:26 PM   #11
vlangel
Registered Member

Here are the best pics I can get. Sorry I know it is still not very clear. The orange clip is holding the aqualifter tubing in place. The flow from it keeps the baby seahorses from getting swept into the screen as the dirtier water is leaving the nursery. The airline tubing you see at the rim of the sump leads to the middle of the rounded part of the fish bowl to make bubbles to keep the little seahorses suspended so they all don't just float on the top. Some of them are hitching now which seems like a good sign. This nursery is a bit ghetto but it seems to be working.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_9818.jpg (56.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 100_9820.jpg (54.7 KB, 27 views)
Unread 10/30/2014, 07:09 PM   #12
redhorse
Registered Member

pics are good.
Thanks

Unread 10/30/2014, 07:46 PM   #13
Misled
RC Mod

You can't tell too much, but here's a couple,

Unread 10/30/2014, 08:18 PM   #14
Misled
RC Mod

Dawn, this is the algae I was talking about.

It's Neomeris annulata.

Unread 10/30/2014, 09:06 PM   #15
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
Thanks Dawn!!! Little guys are floatin in the bag to adjust temp. They are so damn cute!!! I have to get my camera from my shop. Pics will follow!!!!
You are very welcome Jesse. I hope they do well for you. Your pics are way better than mine. Better photographer and better camera, I am sure. That macro algae is pretty cool. Nice clam too.

Unread 10/31/2014, 09:37 AM   #16
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhorse View Post
Here is what I had a few years back. I am sure using your sump helps keep it cleaner.
Before I learned the importance of feeding enriched foods, these guys lived off of pods from the tank and bbs newborns only.
Even at 3 months old and 2"+ they enjoyed their tiny foods. Then went on to frozen and adulthood. (I would not recommend what I did)
Happy growing!
Your babies were really beautiful! I love the orange one. How old were they in that picture and we're you able to raise them to adulthood? How many babies would you raise at one time? I kept 15 and gave away the rest in hopes that I have a manageable number in terms of providing food and keeping them clean so they don'the succumb to bacterial infections.

Unread 10/31/2014, 09:42 AM   #17
vlangel
Registered Member

Today the babies are hitching to the fake plant more readily. I'm guessing that is a good sign? They still look healthy in that they are eating well and I don'the see them scratching. So far, so good!

Unread 10/31/2014, 09:48 AM   #18
Paul B
Premium Member

I have raised seahorses a few times and I put a thin large holed mesh in there like sometimes vegetables come in. They need a place to hitch or as you can tell, they hitch on to each other and can't swim very well. They will eat new born brine shrimp and there should always be shrimp in their water as you can't over feed them. I changed some of their water every day with my reef water as I didn't want any filters in with them. I grew the shrimp along with the fry feeding the shrimp just yeast. The last batch I raised grew enough to breed on their own.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2014, 06:16 PM   #19
Misled
RC Mod

Today's changes. All are settled in their new abode. Dawn, I counted ten but there could be a couple in the caulerpa I coundn't see. They are in a one gallon tank with caulerpa, cheato and one rock from my fuge. All I can see are eating. They are also learning to catch a stalk with their tail. It's really funny because they miss most of the time. This guy got hooked and just keeps streching to eat!!!

Last edited by Misled; 10/31/2014 at 06:22 PM.
Misled is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2014, 06:20 PM   #20
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
I have raised seahorses a few times and I put a thin large holed mesh in there like sometimes vegetables come in. They need a place to hitch or as you can tell, they hitch on to each other and can't swim very well. They will eat new born brine shrimp and there should always be shrimp in their water as you can't over feed them. I changed some of their water every day with my reef water as I didn't want any filters in with them. I grew the shrimp along with the fry feeding the shrimp just yeast. The last batch I raised grew enough to breed on their own.
Thanks Paul for the helpful hint. I do have a couple of plastic plants for them to hitch to. At night they do all hitch but during the day they float around hunting for bb. I know you have pipe fish but you don't keep seahorses anymore, may I ask why?

Unread 11/01/2014, 04:38 AM   #21
Paul B
Premium Member

to keep seahorses in my reef with the other fish I had to partition off a side of the tank for them or the fish would eat all of their food. The pipefish only eat new born brine shrimp so the rest of the fish don't eat many of those because they are to small for them to see except for the mandarins.
This picture was taken in my reef, the female is transfering the eggs to the male. I collected these two in the sea.

Unread 11/01/2014, 05:28 AM   #22
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
Today's changes. All are settled in their new abode. Dawn, I counted ten but there could be a couple in the caulerpa I coundn't see. They are in a one gallon tank with caulerpa, cheato and one rock from my fuge. All I can see are eating. They are also learning to catch a stalk with their tail. It's really funny because they miss most of the time. This guy got hooked and just keeps streching to eat!!!

Awesome pic Jesse! I am glad that they settled in well for you. I meant to give you a dozen but I could have miscounted. Mine are eating well and their little bellies were pinkish brown, (I guess from being full of bb). This morning a couple are scratching which has me worried. I am thinking of maybe just treating them in rid ich for 5 minutes., it contains for Malin which I read is helpful.

Unread 11/01/2014, 05:32 AM   #23
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
to keep seahorses in my reef with the other fish I had to partition off a side of the tank for them or the fish would eat all of their food. The pipefish only eat new born brine shrimp so the rest of the fish don't eat many of those because they are to small for them to see except for the mandarins.
This picture was taken in my reef, the female is transfering the eggs to the male. I collected these two in the sea.

That makes sense, especially with them needing fed twice a day. A partition probably detracted somewhat from the overall beau to of your tank.

Unread 11/01/2014, 06:40 AM   #24
Paul B
Premium Member

It was a little of a pain as I had to move all the rocks and it made the rest of the tank smaller.

Unread 11/01/2014, 06:14 PM   #25
Misled
RC Mod

Today's shots. No real changes. The goldish areas around the eyes is gone now. Everyone's still eating and hanging around.