Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/03/2020, 08:13 PM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

blowing debris and detritus off rocks and disturbing sand

Hi,
This might be a problem:
Before I do my biweekly water changes (of 15-20%) -- 20 gallons out of my 110-120 volume of water, I use a turkey baster to blow 'stuff' off the rocks and out of their holes, etc. I also stir up the sand. I have only a small amount of sand in the tank. Approx an area of 10" x 6" and 1 1/2" deep. I have that area there so my melanarus (sp?) wrasse has a place to sleep .. side note he likes it. When I stir that up (not all of it at once though), it makes a lot of clouds.

The 'stuff' that clouds the water doesnt look that 'dirty' it's more of a light grey from the rocks -- though some brownish if it matters from the sand. I've noticed, and it might be coincidence that soon after that at least one acro will decline. At first I thought they were getting senstiive to alk or they no longer like the lighting that hasnt changed. But now I think it's what I'm doing with the detritus stir.

I do have some type of clean up crew -- about 7 nassarius snails (+/-). I'm guessing 50 hermits -- red leg and blue leg. A few new emeralds. about 15 mex turbos (no more bryo now) and same # astrea.

*Should I just stop doing this blowing the rocks? I've been doing about half the tank each time and just a part of the sand. Maybe just blow off 1/8 of the rocks lol, and a tiny tiny part of the sand to stir? Or just forget doign all that and just literally change water, no stirring up?

TTTYY

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2020, 08:09 AM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

You would be better off with a gravel Vacuum.
Like this, check on sizes before ordering.https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pro-c...content=python

Unread 06/04/2020, 10:01 AM   #3
billdogg
Registered Member

+1 for the python siphon. I’ve had mine since I started, over 30
Years now. I cannot imagine doing a waterchange without.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2020, 09:24 PM   #4
CTaylor
Registered Member

Yes, I'll get that. But waht about the rocks? I need to blow in all the holes and crannies to get out the debris. Vacuuming will not work for that. Should I just leave them as is? I didn't always do this, but I overhead someone saying they blow their rocks of debris, so I've been doing the same. :-/

Unread 06/05/2020, 08:33 AM   #5
Four drachma
Registered Member

Blowing sand off your rocks isn’t going to bother your acros. You could replace the sand with small crushed coral, fine enough for your wrase but not small enough to stir up onto the rock work.

Without more info it’s difficult to know what’s wrong with your SPS. Here’s what I know, they can and will bleach quickly if they don’t get their basic needs met.

They must have flow, not directly out of a power head, but the entire water column should be moving fairly strong, like the ocean.
Must have calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium dosing consistently. This requires testing all three weekly until stable, then bi-weekly.
Lighting, they need light. You get what you pay for, so get good lighting.
Feeding, they are happiest when fed every so often.
They also need cleaner than normal water. So a good protein skimmer is important.
They’re beautiful, and worth the trouble. Certain soft LPS corals don’t do well in the same water chemistry as SPS, so if you have a lot of those, you may need to choose which one you want to flourish.

Hope that helps a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Four drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2020, 08:44 AM   #6
CTaylor
Registered Member

TY Darchma. I do know everything you said, but thanks.
It's when I blow the detritus from the sand and the rocks. It might be the ALK was elevated also.
I'll just be more limited in 'blowing out' the rocks, and it might have been decay in the sand anyhow since it is more of a brown greay color there than the rockwork sediment that comes out.