Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/03/2020, 09:53 AM   #1
MstgKillr
Registered Member

BK Skimmer for Red Sea 900 3XL

I'm considering a Bubble King skimmer for my heavily stocked Red Sea 900 3XL (192 gallon display, 240 gallons total). What would you recommend?

I will be running a ClariSea SK-5000 fleece filter roller. However, due to the 1320 gph maximum flowrate of the ClariSea SK-5000, I may need to bypass a portion of the flow, or slow the return pump down. I also need the skimmer to fit in the 15.5in x 11in skimmer compartment.

I was thinking maybe the Deluxe 200 or the new SuperMarin 160. Also, it appears that refreshed models are beginning to roll out. Is the Deluxe 200 scheduled for a refresh? I noticed it is mostly out of stock. I would hate to drop that kind of money on a skimmer only to get the older model.

Any idea when the new SuperMarin 160 will be released in the US? And how well it performs?

MstgKillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2020, 10:34 AM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

You’d definitely want to go with a skimmer that has a lower rating then your display size as the fleece filter will remove a lot of the solids before they become dissolved solids making the smaller skimmer far more consistent. That said, it really depends on your fish load. If you plan on having a medium to heavy fish load, then a Double Cone 180 would work well for you. A heavy fish load is 1/2” of fish per display gallon. If you are going to have a low fish load then a 160 sized skimmer will work well for you. The new SM 160’s should be in US stock in our next shipment from Germany. I‘ve sent an email to Germany to confirm the ETA on them.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2020, 11:52 AM   #3
MstgKillr
Registered Member

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!

Yes, definitely going for a heavy fish load. I'm already at 0.42"/gallon and will definitely pass the 0.5"/gallon as the fish mature. I may even be closer to 0.7"/gallon when it's all done.

It looks like the new BK SuperMarin 160 RDX 24v is rated at 100-200 gallons and the Double Cone 180 rated at 75-132 gallons. So, wouldn't the new BK SM 160 be the better slightly bigger and more adaptable (on paper), but maybe unproven skimmer? Also, it appears the Double Cone 180 will not fit my skimmer compartment (15.5in x 11in).

Unread 09/03/2020, 11:58 AM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MstgKillr View Post
Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!

Yes, definitely going for a heavy fish load. I'm already at 0.42"/gallon and will definitely pass the 0.5"/gallon as the fish mature. I may even be closer to 0.7"/gallon when it's all done.

It looks like the new BK SuperMarin 160 RDX 24v is rated at 100-200 gallons and the Double Cone 180 rated at 75-132 gallons. So, wouldn't the new BK SM 160 be the better slightly bigger and more adaptable (on paper), but maybe unproven skimmer? Also, it appears the Double Cone 180 will not fit my skimmer compartment (15.5in x 11in).
The Double Cones are conservatively rated. The SM160 is a great little skimmer and frankly, you can’t go wrong with either but the Double Cone 180 is under rated. It does have a larger neck volume which makes for a bit more capability in terms of foam it will handle and the cup is larger which allows for a bit more skimmate. I think I’d go with the Double Cone 180 if it were me but the SM160 would work well too. Fleece filters are pretty efficient at removing solids and do a very good job reducing dissolved solids that skimmers would otherwise use to generate foam. As such, both skimmers would do the job.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 09/03/2020, 12:05 PM   #5
MstgKillr
Registered Member

Unfortunately, the Double Cone 180 will not fit the skimmer compartment (15.5in x 11in)... Bulk Reef Supply has the foot print (with pump) listed at 11.42in x 14.17in., unless there is some wiggle room by turning the skimmer and/or pump.

From reading the specs on Bulk Reef Supply, it appears the only BK skimmers that will fit are the Deluxe 200 (184-396 gallons), Mini 200 (150-264 gallons) and the new SM160 (100-200 gallons).

Last edited by MstgKillr; 09/03/2020 at 01:06 PM.
Unread 09/03/2020, 01:20 PM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

Not really any wiggle room in the 11.42. If you take a look at this document, you could probably make a little template of the skimmer footprint as well as your sump space and see if placing it in at an angle would work.

https://royalexclusiv.com/images/con...dc_180_eng.pdf

You could shorten the silicone hose between the pump and body and gain about 1/2” of space but beyond that, there isn’t any other corners to cut. We will have an updated version of the Mini 180 that will include the new RDX pump but I don’t have an ETA on that model yet.

Unread 09/04/2020, 03:44 PM   #7
MstgKillr
Registered Member

It's official, the BK DC180 fits the skimmer compartment of the 900 3XL, with room to spare, and it's already pulling out a ton of nasties! I couldn't be happier!

I've owned several skimmers (Deltec, H&S, RO, etc..) and I already know, this is by far the best skimmer that I've owned. Totally worth every penny. The build quality is unbelievable, only upstaged by the excellent customer service @slief! Thank you for all the replies, emails, and phone calls... it made all the difference!

He is a picture two hours after dropping the brand new skimmer into the tank. I cannot wait to see what it does after it's actually broken in.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5722.jpg (52.1 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by MstgKillr; 09/04/2020 at 05:19 PM.
Unread 09/04/2020, 05:12 PM   #8
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MstgKillr View Post
It's official, the BK DC200 fits the skimmer compartment of the 900 3XL, with room to spare, and it's already pulling out a ton of nasties! I couldn't be happier!

I've owned several skimmers (Deltec, H&S, RO, etc..) and I already know, this is by far the best skimmer that I've owned. Totally worth every penny. The build quality is unbelievable, only upstaged by the excellent customer service @slief! Thank you for all the replies, emails, and phone calls... it made all the difference!

He is a picture two hours after dropping the brand new skimmer into the tank. I cannot wait to see what it does after it's actually broken in.
Don’t you mean Double Cone 180? Very glad to help.

Unread 09/04/2020, 05:20 PM   #9
MstgKillr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Don’t you mean Double Cone 180? Very glad to help.
I guess the excitement got the best of me! Edited...