Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/01/2006, 05:49 PM   #1
zoltetov
Registered Member

slow to no growth...

Hey there,

I'm currently using 2 x 250 watt halide setup with 15k XMs. What's the problem? As the subject states, I don't get a heck of a lot of growth out of my zoa colonies. I understand that they grow at different rates and some are faster than others. I also understand that the 15k XMs aren't huge on par. The thing is, I know people have gotten better growth than I have that use PC lamps. Would i be better served switching to T5s? I got a couple monti's in there that have grown a little, but barely noticeable.

If I'd be better off switching to t5s, what retro set-up would you recommend for a 46g bowfront with center-brace?

Thanks ya'll.

Current Tank Info: 46g bow-front, 2x250w MH w/ 250w XM 15Ks, AquaC Remora skimmer, mag-5 return, 2 x Seio 820s, 100+lbs of live rock, 5-6" DSB, Baby-girl my GSM, Sigmund the Fairy Wrasse, and a softie collection.
zoltetov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2006, 06:15 PM   #2
Horace
Registered Member

Well first off XM 15ks ahve pretty low PAR so your not going to get a heck of alot of growth with those. ALso how old is your tank? It often takes SPS a bit to take off. Many require laying a nice base before they will get much taller. I have some corals that didnt seem to grow at all for 6-8 months then all the sudden they take off. The key is stability and water quality. If you have those things right, they will grow......

Current Tank Info: New 180g Mixed SPS Build in progress
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2006, 10:00 PM   #3
zoltetov
Registered Member

Thanks for the comments.. my tank is about 2 years old. (it's an upgrade, but this has been set up for over a year.) I only have a couple pieces of sps. I'm more concerned about the growth out of the softies. I mean, like i said, i know my bulbs are low on par, but i can't believe that pc's would offer more. I could always switch to 10k xms or 6500k iwakis...the thing is, i like the coloration. That's why I'm wondering if t5s would be a better choice.

Current Tank Info: 46g bow-front, 2x250w MH w/ 250w XM 15Ks, AquaC Remora skimmer, mag-5 return, 2 x Seio 820s, 100+lbs of live rock, 5-6" DSB, Baby-girl my GSM, Sigmund the Fairy Wrasse, and a softie collection.
Unread 06/01/2006, 10:11 PM   #4
RichConley
Registered Member

honestly, their PCs probably have mroe PAR than your XM15ks

Unread 06/01/2006, 10:14 PM   #5
zoltetov
Registered Member

i want to cry.

Unread 06/01/2006, 10:20 PM   #6
RichConley
Registered Member

try the phoenix 14Ks...just be careful..they have like 4 tiomes the par.

Unread 06/01/2006, 11:15 PM   #7
zoltetov
Registered Member

I'd love to, but unfortunately I have SE bulbs. I guess I'll just work with what i got. Maybe I'll change 'em to the xm 10s. They seem to have the best par for my ballast this side of iwaki.

I don't really have room in my hood for more lights, but i can get used to the white only i guess.

Unread 06/02/2006, 12:23 AM   #8
Bullredchaser
Registered Member

Switch to the 10k XM bulb's then add a T5 retro for actinics.That should do it.

Bullredchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2006, 06:18 AM   #9
RichConley
Registered Member

You can use a different 14K bulb if you want. The XM 15Ks specifically are awful, not all 14k/15k bulbs.

Unread 06/02/2006, 06:40 AM   #10
nebraskareef
MFCEO

Lighting may not even be the issue. Whats the water quality like?
Stability in water quality is much more important, IME, than lighting. Especially when it comes to zoo's. Those little buggers can be tricky!