Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/03/2018, 08:42 PM   #1
monti1
Registered Member

New JBJ Nano 24

Setting up my first reef tank in many years. I’ve previously had some bigger reefs with sumps, refugiums, reactors, etc.

First time with the all in one type. I currently have it running with just water and sand and nothing more than a heater in the back “sump” section. My question is for you folks running one of these tanks, how high is the water level in your rear sump. Mine seems to be too high. Is your water level just about the same height as the display? I’ve ordered the media basket and Tunze 9001 skimmer but want to make sure I have the water level dialed in before adding anything back there.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monti1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2018, 08:43 PM   #2
monti1
Registered Member

Unread 09/10/2018, 06:33 PM   #3
CNGH
Registered Member

you need to add the modular pre-skimmer attachment. it goes in front of the grate/overflow. that'll slightly raise the water level in the display portion, and lower it in the rear "sump" section.

just google "jbj modular surface skimmer" and you'll see what i'm referring to.

edit to add:
forgot to say also that unless you glue it in place, every time you shut off your return (like when you do a water change, or when feeding), the "modular pre-skimmer" will fall off the grate and sink to the bottom of your tank and then you gotta fish it out. it's basically only held in place by the force from the flow of water going over it. super annoying. just use a few small dabs of super glue and glue that sucker in place.

SFVR
SCNRS
CNGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2018, 07:36 PM   #4
monti1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGH View Post
you need to add the modular pre-skimmer attachment. it goes in front of the grate/overflow. that'll slightly raise the water level in the display portion, and lower it in the rear "sump" section.

just google "jbj modular surface skimmer" and you'll see what i'm referring to.

edit to add:
forgot to say also that unless you glue it in place, every time you shut off your return (like when you do a water change, or when feeding), the "modular pre-skimmer" will fall off the grate and sink to the bottom of your tank and then you gotta fish it out. it's basically only held in place by the force from the flow of water going over it. super annoying. just use a few small dabs of super glue and glue that sucker in place.

I have it in there now with just the flow holding it. Once I do the first water change I’ll glue it up. Thanks for the info!