Unread 02/13/2013, 09:28 AM   #76
Joshporksandwic
Moved On

Wow very nice tank!

Joshporksandwic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2013, 08:13 AM   #77
Piper27
I love bengals

Thank you! It has been really enjoyable so far.

We started breaking down our 210 slowly last year sometime. I had the last run of people come grab stuff in the past few weeks, and I am finally at the point where I can transfer what we have left to our holding tanks in less than one day (probly shouldn't have said that...). So now more time is going into getting this little tank and its been fun!

Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2013, 05:22 PM   #78
cjk76
Registered Member

Any updates on this?

cjk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2013, 12:50 PM   #79
Piper27
I love bengals

No pictures yet, sorry. I am using the tank for a qt for a few of the acros colonies I have always wanted. They will be out in a week so I will post pictures then.

The bryopsis made it on a frag plug or two so we are about to deal with that now. I think we will just throw them in the big tank since the pest algae never survives in the display there. Two peppermint shrimp made it and have kept the tank free of aptasia so far. We got a few different corals in the tank and will make the final rock adjustments before we take a picture. A few fish made it out of the canopy some how so there are only a few left in there. We have been trying to focus on reviving the acans in the tank, especially the hillae. As well as a few chalices and zoas that didn't fair to well on all the changes or were stung, etc...
I am also not to happy with the hamilton side mount retrofit we bought new for this thing. The reflectors are small and the ballast blocks the part of the light so the coverage isn't really good. I need to research which reflectors are best on this style tank. Plus the marineland canopy we cut for it isn't really high enough. I think idealy this tank would be best with a open top and some nice leds hung real high over top. Maybe we will set it up that way next time.
I am super excited about how well her tank is keeping my mariculture colonies though! The nice pink tipped abro I got is holding its color really well so far, as well as some other nice ones! I think the larger skimmer on it is really helping us feed the tank well and in turn everything is happy. I am thinking about hooking up a little 10 gallon fuge also.

If anyone has any tips or pointers for me or ANY coments feel free.

Unread 05/25/2013, 08:07 AM   #80
Piper27
I love bengals

So I pulled some sand out and changed the flow around some. The sand kept covering up corals and leaving bare spots on the bottom. Added a few double 1/2" nozzles and now the sand doesn't blow everywhere Wish I would have thought about that before I took sand out and started a cyano field haha... We are going to just let the cyano out compete its self. The bryopsis is under control finally. Keeping the mag at 1450 with kents tech M seems to be keeping it under control, it was pretty low at around 1200 or so... The only fish left in there are three cardinals, the kole, and a leopard wrasse though. The only other thing I need to figure out is what kind of bulbs to run. We have had bad luck choosing T5 bulbs for this tank that are blue and will grow the zoas with good color. We used a bunch of randoms we had to start it and now its time to choose whats right. I am also planning on raising the tank canopy soon and maybe do the stained glass project then. When I raise the canopy I will be able to take all of the mesh off the sides and front because it will fit tight to the tank too so looking forward to that. Here are some shots of the tank in all of its glory... Yes I am taking pictures with cyano and other nasties in the tank. I am so tired of seeing people say "the tank is not ready for photos yet". Not talking to anyone specifically, but if you have a tank, take some pics! Your not so awesome that you can't take a pic when your tank isn't at its best.

If anyone has any experience on some good bulbs shoot! The ones we are using (hamiltons and geismans) don't put out much par and the zoas really are not getting enough light to color up properly it seems. It should help get better spread once I move the canopy up also. The bulbs are so low you can kinda see a color change from the side in the spots where we have a white bulb.
I will try to keep this thing updated better this time.

Unread 05/25/2013, 08:31 AM   #81
Piper27
I love bengals

Also, we got a macro lens . But I took these with my iPhone. I will get some macros after the tank settles in with the new bulbs. Please let me know what you think! Opinions, thoughts and suggestions are wanted welcome!

Last edited by Piper27; 05/25/2013 at 08:41 AM.
Unread 05/25/2013, 08:40 AM   #82
Piper27
I love bengals

I have those tequila sunrise in a different tank and they have a nice green spot on the skirt. I am hoping once I get some better bulbs those and the nice orange ones in the second pic will color up better.

Almost 10,000 views! Simply amazing to me Maybe its really 9,000 from me checking it 20 times a day to see if anyone commented

Unread 05/25/2013, 09:31 PM   #83
got2envy
hello fishy fishy

Looks great!! nice collection

Current Tank Info: 28g JBJ HQI, 40g Long Mixed Reef
got2envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2013, 07:56 AM   #84
Piper27
I love bengals

Thanks! I did just realize I didn't take a fts. I will get one up today or tomorrow.

Unread 05/29/2013, 12:11 PM   #85
hoffmann
Registered Member

looks awesome.

hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2013, 07:27 AM   #86
Piper27
I love bengals

Here are a couple pics right after the lights came on.

Last edited by Piper27; 05/30/2013 at 07:44 AM.
Unread 05/30/2013, 08:01 AM   #87
Piper27
I love bengals

Unread 06/07/2013, 08:07 PM   #88
Piper27
I love bengals

We pulled a big rock out of the tank. Added some zoas, plan to add a handful more and then take a pic
I think pulling the rock out makes the tank took way more open, pics to come.

Unread 06/19/2013, 04:02 AM   #89
Piper27
I love bengals

Put some kz bulbs to replace some old giesmans. Cyano is slowly fading after the bulb switch. Here are some shots she took.
She added around 6 really nice looking featherdusters and cocoworms also.

Unread 06/20/2013, 01:55 PM   #90
Sean626
Registered Member

Good stuff is that sun coral??

Sean626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2013, 06:32 AM   #91
Piper27
I love bengals

Red face

Yes, there are small pieces of yellow, orange, and black sun coral in there plus a dendro. I think there are two more cool featherdusters are coming in today too. We have always loved them and finally have a guy who gets some nice ones.

On another note its like pulling teeth trying to get her to take macro shots of the zoas. I think she isn't happy with the lens she bought but I will try my best to get some posted! You would think a couple both involved in the hobby would be able to do tank stuff without bickering at each other but noooo...

Last edited by Piper27; 06/22/2013 at 06:42 AM.
Unread 06/25/2013, 10:32 PM   #92
915MANG
Registered Member

Very cool!

Current Tank Info: 120 Gal in progress Fish & a few corals 34G Solana
915MANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2013, 06:50 PM   #93
Piper27
I love bengals

Finally some Macro Shots that my girl took.

Unread 07/02/2013, 10:00 PM   #94
IGROZOAS
Registered Member

Great macros..I love the look of shallow tanks. Nice collection.

IGROZOAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2013, 06:43 AM   #95
Piper27
I love bengals

Thanks! I thought they turned of pretty good for freehand shots with a cheap lens. The first, second, third, and last pics I thought turned out great!

Unread 09/16/2013, 08:53 AM   #96
Piper27
I love bengals

Almost 3 months so time for a quick iPhone update. It's very cluttered and not aquascaped, but rather organized so we can view the small polyped frags easier to make sure they are doing well. We cut the last of the sps out of the rocks of our 210 (which is being broke down), so a lot of stuff will be moved out into grow tubs. Including a lot of the doubles that have been spreading around quickly. We will add 12 blue Crees and raise the canopy about 4 or 5 inches soon.
I also found some nice think cuts of Marco rock that are going to be perfect to grow some of the zoas out and hold some deep water acros steady. We put almost all of the rock in the sump and these will be the only rocks in the tank except a few just to hide some lock line.

Unread 09/16/2013, 08:57 AM   #97
Piper27
I love bengals

Thanks for looking at our thread, please comments or questions or ideas are welcome!

Unread 09/18/2013, 07:30 AM   #98
mattgreene22
work in progress

Hey, this tank looks really good! Hadn't had the chance to check it out until now, but thought I would bounce over from WAMAS once I saw the sig link.

How are the coco worms doing? They look very nice and I'd be interested to hear who your local source is for those. cheers

mattgreene22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2013, 08:34 AM   #99
Piper27
I love bengals

Thanks Matt! The featherdusters and coco worms can be ordered by probly all of our lfs, my recommendation is to understand which has the best practices and best employees/owners and order from them. We have never had problems keeping them, they are doing great. Other than the baby emperator that likes to play with them, but its much to small to damage much of anything. (Jesus why did I say that...)

Unread 10/02/2013, 06:38 AM   #100
Piper27
I love bengals

We raised the bulbs up about 5", I think it's getting everything more equal light with better coverage. I am hoping to fit 12 Crees in there this weekend.
Stuff is still being moved around or moved out of the tank. So hopefully the next shot won't be so cluttered.

Took this shot while the top was off.

Last edited by Piper27; 10/02/2013 at 07:12 AM.