Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/09/2019, 06:45 PM   #1
Morrist3
Registered Member

Tank overhang

Quick kind of weird question. I may or may not have a problem but saw a tank on Facebook marketplace, and was too good of a deal to pass up. So my daughter will be getting a tank in her room. Anyways it's a 40 gallon acrylic tank with center over flow and tanks footprint is 32"×16". I found a good quality sturdy table at a flea market that I can drill for pipes and use but the top of the table is 31 5/8 × 18. So I'm good front to back but have just less then a 1/4 hanging over the edge on each side. It's only 40 gallon so not alot of stress on walls. But is that going to cause any issues? Anything I'm not thinking of? Thanks for any input!

Morrist3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2019, 07:15 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Probably ok but getting a piece of plywood cut the right size would be better..

Unread 04/09/2019, 08:45 PM   #3
1claire
Registered Member

I think that you won't have a problem with it since it's just a small tank, what type of fish are you planning to have in this aquarium?

1claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2019, 09:12 PM   #4
Morrist3
Registered Member

Nothing real fancy. It's going to be in a 12 year olds room. So will let her contribute ideas.

Just couldn't resist when I saw a pic on Facebook. Could tell it was acrylic and drilled with center overflow for $40. Seemed like a good price so asked what actually size it was and leaked and details like that. When she responded she said it was in house when they bought and she didnt know anything about it, they just wanted it out since it was taking up room and actually if I wanted it I could just have it for free to get it out of there. Couldn't resist that! Nice little tank!

Morrist3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2019, 01:31 PM   #5
murphreef
Registered Member

Should be totally fine.... I wouldnt worry one bit about that difference

Current Tank Info: 25G cube (finally back in the hobby in a small way)
murphreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2019, 01:57 PM   #6
billdogg
Registered Member

I'm with mcgyvr on this. I'd put a piece of 3/4" plywood down if, for nothing else, to protect the edges from getting bumped. It is, after all, going in a 12yo's room. A little piece of mind goes a long way!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote