Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/13/2019, 01:47 AM   #1
gareth.hubbarde
Registered Member

Nitrite lvl

So my tank been up and running a week with mature live rock in it. I also added a box of pure reef marine balls. Normal cycle isn't applied due to the amount of good bacteria. I use jbl test kits and am always getting a reading of ammonia 0.1 ppm and nitrite 0.05 ppm. These levels havnt moved for 3 days.

Are these trace amounts ok?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

gareth.hubbarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2019, 02:35 AM   #2
Tastee
Registered Member

Not really. Once your tank has completed it’s initial cycle you should not be able to measure detectable amounts of Ammonia or Nitrite. If you suddenly add a big bio-load then you may for a while, until the bacteria population expands to consume the new nutrients, but apart from that, this should not happen.

You don’t have a problem however, just need to be a little more patient. What you are looking for is initially high Ammonia, followed by Ammonia lowering and Nitrites increasing, followed by Nitrites decreasing and Nitrates increasing. Once you can see Nitrates then you know your cycle is nearly complete. It is complete when the only measurable one of the three is Nitrates.

Here is what happened in my 65g tank when I first set it up as an example.

Day 1 filled tank, added salt, let it settle.

Day 2 added live rock (20 kg). Didn’t bother to test as I knew the cycle would take time.

Day 7 added 3 kg more live rock (just additional aquascaping). Added bacteria in a bottle (Bactimax in this case). Tested later in the day, Ammonia 0.25 ppm, Nitrites 5 ppm, Nitrates 1 ppm. I considered this a very quick initial cycle but I did start with a lot of good quality live rock.

Day 9. Ammonia 0.25 ppm, Nitrites 3 ppm, Nitrates 10 ppm. Cycle now fully established and working.

Day 11. Ammonia 0 ppm, Nitrites 0.25 ppm, Nitrates 3ppm. Cycle nearly complete.

Day 14. Ammonia 0 ppm, Nitrites 0 ppm, Nitrates 0 ppm. Cycle complete.

My Nitrates did drop but that is not always the case. I don’t understand enough about Nitrate consumption to explain my tank’s behaviour - have a few ideas but nothing solid enough I am prepared to share!

The point is that you want to see the cycle progress through these three compounds. If you are left with Nitrates, that is fine and there are ways to manage that, starting with WCs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2019, 05:45 AM   #3
gareth.hubbarde
Registered Member

So this morning ammonia is <0.05 ppm nitrite also 0.05ppm. Havnt tested for nitrate yet, think I should?

Unread 04/13/2019, 06:24 AM   #4
gareth.hubbarde
Registered Member

Further update nitrate at 15ppm. Going to put another 15kg of mature rock in Monday then aim to transfer my fish next week.

Unread 04/13/2019, 06:28 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Check levels on Tues and Wed...If all is good you can likely add your fish it you really want..
But waiting and being patient is the best course here..

Often times the test kits arent accurate at trace amounts and show some when its not an issue.

Since you are using matured live rock its unlikely you dont have the needed bacteria already.