Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/01/2020, 11:31 AM   #1
CassandrAlys
Registered Member

Mandarin Dragonet

Hi!

Once again, this is a long term/in the future type question so that I can better prepare for what I want without making any unnecessary mistakes along the way.

I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I want mandarin dragonets in my tank. That is, in fact, the ONLY fish I am ABSOLUTELY sure of. I also know that they are labeled expert level, are carnivores, hunt and eat constantly, should not be placed in a system less than a year old (and stable), and are peaceful fish often out competed for food.

So. Are there any fish and/or corals I should specifically avoid along the way? And how many can I reasonably have and keep alive and healthy? Any other specific advice you have and are willing to share?

My system will be 180 gallons, LPS dominant mixed reef. There isn't much I have my heart set on at this point, and I'd rather not get there before knowing what ISN'T an option.

Thanks again for your help!

CassandrAlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2020, 11:37 AM   #2
CassandrAlys
Registered Member

Ah, in addition to this, has anyone had a high success rate propagating enough copepods in a reef tank to support these fish? Alternatively, what supplier do you recommend & how often should I add them?

Unread 06/01/2020, 12:15 PM   #3
cvrle1
Registered Member

Take a look at this thread. It has some good info to get you started at least

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2707235

cvrle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2020, 01:01 PM   #4
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Agreed, check post 8 in above thread.
You are going to learn how to hatch brine shrimp.

Unread 06/01/2020, 01:23 PM   #5
djryan2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassandrAlys View Post
Hi!

Once again, this is a long term/in the future type question so that I can better prepare for what I want without making any unnecessary mistakes along the way.

I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I want mandarin dragonets in my tank. That is, in fact, the ONLY fish I am ABSOLUTELY sure of. I also know that they are labeled expert level, are carnivores, hunt and eat constantly, should not be placed in a system less than a year old (and stable), and are peaceful fish often out competed for food.

So. Are there any fish and/or corals I should specifically avoid along the way? And how many can I reasonably have and keep alive and healthy? Any other specific advice you have and are willing to share?

My system will be 180 gallons, LPS dominant mixed reef. There isn't much I have my heart set on at this point, and I'd rather not get there before knowing what ISN'T an option.

Thanks again for your help!

Avoid wrasses and other fish that hunt for pods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djryan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2020, 02:12 PM   #6
Sk8r
RC Mod

If you have a good sump with room, get a big healthy cheato ball lit 24/7 and do not run a filter sock. Pods freely pass through a pump undamaged: they get through my Iwaki monster which is like waltzing with a Cuisinart, and they get through. Even an amphipod made it---many times the size of a copepod. Do not have a wrasse or scooter in competition, and I recommend getting a solitary male or a mated pair. Your 180 should handle it fine once mature.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2020, 05:20 PM   #7
outssider
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djryan2000 View Post
Avoid wrasses and other fish that hunt for pods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1

wrasses hunt for pods constantly, they will out compete and leave little for the mandarin

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal. Mixed reef mostly sps
outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2020, 08:01 PM   #8
cvrle1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outssider View Post
+1

wrasses hunt for pods constantly, they will out compete and leave little for the mandarin
Hmm, I wasnt thinking about this before. So even if I use mandarin feeder that Paul B created years ago, wrasses would still not be recommended? I am guessing if mandarin would get weened on the frozen food that would change things, but it is always a crap shoot if that happens or not.

Unread 06/01/2020, 11:45 PM   #9
CassandrAlys
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvrle1 View Post
Hmm, I wasnt thinking about this before. So even if I use mandarin feeder that Paul B created years ago, wrasses would still not be recommended? I am guessing if mandarin would get weened on the frozen food that would change things, but it is always a crap shoot if that happens or not.
Hi! Thanks for the link, I'll definitely devour that in a bit!

From what I have read, being weened onto frozen foods is a decent supplement, but not a replacement for the pods. That is, unless you can feed them several times a day, as they graze/hunt/eat constantly. Having said that, I'm certainly not an expert, just slightly obsessed xD.

Unread 06/01/2020, 11:46 PM   #10
CassandrAlys
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Agreed, check post 8 in above thread.
You are going to learn how to hatch brine shrimp.
Hatching Brine shrimp sounds super fun, actually! Thanks!

Unread 06/01/2020, 11:48 PM   #11
CassandrAlys
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
If you have a good sump with room, get a big healthy cheato ball lit 24/7 and do not run a filter sock. Pods freely pass through a pump undamaged: they get through my Iwaki monster which is like waltzing with a Cuisinart, and they get through. Even an amphipod made it---many times the size of a copepod. Do not have a wrasse or scooter in competition, and I recommend getting a solitary male or a mated pair. Your 180 should handle it fine once mature.
Got it. No wrasse, no scooters (damn), no filter sock. I hadn't decided for sure on the fuge, but that is definitely a solid reason for one that I can totally get behind.

I'd love to get a mated pair- is it possible to get any more than that, or should I leave it at 2 and not press my luck?

Thanks!!

Unread 06/01/2020, 11:49 PM   #12
CassandrAlys
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outssider View Post
+1

No wrasses, check. Thanks!

Unread 06/02/2020, 12:02 AM   #13
CassandrAlys
Registered Member

Quote:
Take a look at this thread. It has some good info to get you started at least

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2707235
Ack! I just read through that link and the following ones to make a brine shrimp...hatchery? I love it! Thanks so much for sharing!

Unread 06/02/2020, 08:25 AM   #14
CassandrAlys
Registered Member

So... another question; how dies one quarantine a fish that has such stringent dietary needs?

Unread 06/02/2020, 09:45 AM   #15
cvrle1
Registered Member

Quote:
So... another question; how dies one quarantine a fish that has such stringent dietary needs?
From bit of reading I did before since they have thick slime coat, copper cant be used. You also cant do regular QT like other fish as they will starve in clean and sterile tank. Need to do a TTM method or Chloroquine Phosphate, depending on what fish may have.

I really hate the fact that RC has other site blocked, so I cant provide you with link to a good thread with all the info you would need.

Search for "Mandarin Goby and QT questions" in google. Should be 1st result posted on July 17, 2017 and go to post #7 and 11 with all the info and more links you will need.

Unread 06/02/2020, 01:27 PM   #16
CassandrAlys
Registered Member

Quote:
From bit of reading I did before since they have thick slime coat, copper cant be used. You also cant do regular QT like other fish as they will starve in clean and sterile tank. Need to do a TTM method or Chloroquine Phosphate, depending on what fish may have.

I really hate the fact that RC has other site blocked, so I cant provide you with link to a good thread with all the info you would need.

Search for "Mandarin Goby and QT questions" in google. Should be 1st result posted on July 17, 2017 and go to post #7 and 11 with all the info and more links you will need.
Found it, thanks! I was planning on using the modified TTM anyways to hande Ich and Velvet, so that works out pretty well Do you think it would be okay to just add store bought pods straight into each QT bucket after every transfer? I know it'd be more expensive that way, but I think it would be a short term solution that would ensure they don't starve. Thoughts? If that doesn't/won't work, do you have any other potential solutions? ...Also, how MUCH of a bag/bottle should I add each time?

Thanks again for the timely responses and advice- it's much appreciated!

Unread 06/02/2020, 01:56 PM   #17
cvrle1
Registered Member

Quote:
Found it, thanks! I was planning on using the modified TTM anyways to hande Ich and Velvet, so that works out pretty well Do you think it would be okay to just add store bought pods straight into each QT bucket after every transfer? I know it'd be more expensive that way, but I think it would be a short term solution that would ensure they don't starve. Thoughts? If that doesn't/won't work, do you have any other potential solutions? ...Also, how MUCH of a bag/bottle should I add each time?

Thanks again for the timely responses and advice- it's much appreciated!
Truth be told I have no idea. I didnt get that far yet haha. Im sure someone else will chime in that has answer for you though

Unread 06/02/2020, 02:24 PM   #18
CassandrAlys
Registered Member

Quote:
Truth be told I have no idea. I didnt get that far yet haha. Im sure someone else will chime in that has answer for you though
Understood!

Tags
180 gallons, copepods, lps coral, mandarin dragonet, mandarin dragonet feeding