Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/16/2014, 03:10 PM   #276
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmers View Post
Every sump I have seen other then this style has the skimmer in the first of second chamber.

I was thinking that it would be better for water height to have it in the first or second chamber.

I am going to have to add a ato to my sump to keep the water level consistent in the 3rd chamber so my skimmer works properly
Ah ya i see what you mean. My filter socks caught a lot of crap. I would clean them multiple times a week so i dont know if you would want that getting into the skimmer. I didnt have an ato so i had to regularly add water to the sump. The skimmer did fine with the fluctuation in water levels but i did notice from time to time that the skimmer wouldnt work at times if the water got too low. The skimmer bubbles never would reach the collection cup.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Max NANO 20gal
MrGoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2014, 11:19 AM   #277
Remmers
Registered Member

what if I was to split the second chamber in half with a piece of egg crate and put the skimmer on one side and the other side would be the fuge. This way the skimmer would be at the same water level 24/7?

Remmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2014, 12:48 PM   #278
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

Wouldnt the algea grow through the egg crate? I would use plexi glass and just cut it so it fits snug. You would have to modify the top lid if you wanted to still use it or just have a lamp clip on to the side. The chamber is pretty deep im not sure how that would effect the skimmer if thats too much water.

Unread 10/17/2014, 03:44 PM   #279
Remmers
Registered Member

I bought a ato today and Im just going to leave it how it is, when the water level is at the right level the skimmer works perfect in the 3rd chamber.

Plus it will be one less thing I have to try to "make work"

Remmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2014, 08:46 PM   #280
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

What kind of ato did you go with and how much $$ did it cost?

Unread 06/11/2017, 08:20 PM   #281
Itzjackee
Registered Member

bringing it back from the dead.....Hi all! i got a awesome deal on a 75gallon with stand and such and just purchase a model 2.... after going through 12 pages and reading every single post look like i made a mistake in buying the model 2 since there are problem fitting a skimmer and pump in the third chamber, im still researching and looking everywhere to see which skimmer would be best for me or if someone has a similar setup, i hope to be part of a great community and have a nice day guys!

Itzjackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2017, 08:48 PM   #282
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

It's been a long time! I can't believe this thread even exists haha. I haven't had a tank in about 7 years so I am not sure I will be much help to you. The skimmer I used did work very well in the last chamber. Might have to do some digging which one I used and I'm not sure it's even available anymore. Seeing this thread come up in my email is really making me want to come back to salt water again! I'm building a new house and had a 300 gal setup quoted to be built in a wall but it was very expensive. So after I move into my new house I think I will venture back into saltwater again! Where did you buy the tank if you don't mind me asking? I just sold my whole setup in march which had been sitting in the basement this whole time.

Unread 06/15/2017, 06:28 PM   #283
Itzjackee
Registered Member

i purchase my 75gal at pet smart, they had a 75gal tank with stand, glass cover and a light for $300 regular price was $500. But they only had the display left and the stand was a little damage when they were putting the tank on the stand. The manager gave me a huge discount and got the whole setup for $200! i was like wow... so i bought it and i am doing my first sump setup. i havent got really far with it yet.... i got my sand, my over flow coming in, im just stuck on a protein skimmer and a return pump. the mag drive 9.5 is on sale at dr foster and smith but i dont want to buy it just yet since im not sure which skimmer im going with.

Itzjackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2018, 09:51 AM   #284
Slammed01
Registered Member

Bringing this back to life! Picked up a model 3 for my future 40B or 65 build, 50% off! Anyone using these still?

Current Tank Info: 54 Gallon corner on order
Slammed01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2018, 11:01 AM   #285
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

Mine has been sitting in the garage for about 6 years now...

Unread 07/15/2018, 11:02 AM   #286
Slammed01
Registered Member

Well shoot! Thoughts on Proflex 1 vs 3? Model 1 will go in and out with tank full where 3 would have to have DT drained. Most likely going w 40B or 50G.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 54 Gallon corner on order
Slammed01 is offline   Reply With Quote