Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/12/2011, 10:27 AM   #26
jimrawr
Registered Member

For everyone who has the skimmer inside the last chamber, how do you prevent micro bubbles from returning to the main tank? I have my sump down stairs right now doing a water test, and breaking in the skimmer. The SWC 180 is putting out so many micro bubbles, and they are all staying in that last chamber where my return pump will go. I fear that my tank will be extremely cloudy with these micro bubbles..

Anyways, how do you guys avoid this?

jimrawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2011, 01:31 AM   #27
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRENT_G View Post
Brwestern, here is a picture. I have a AquaC EV-180 w/9.5 mag, Two heaters, Powerhead for carbon and a Mag 18 as a return. I have a cheap (25.00) ATO.

Picture is from when it was new, more stuff added as mentioned above.
What model number do you have for your proflex?

MrGoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2011, 11:29 AM   #28
foxrazr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoodbar View Post
What model number do you have for your proflex?
Looks like a model 4. Which is the one I have. Try raising the blue sponge up to where the waterfall begins. This has made the sump nearly silent and you don't have to hear the annoying waterfall sound.

foxrazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2011, 12:22 PM   #29
SI_rEEfer
Registered Member

Here is a picture of mine. I modded it a little. Drilled some holes and added an DIY acrylic probe and Float Switch holders. I also purchased the dual T5 lighting fixture that is available for it.

My pumps are located underneath the sump. Bulkheads are in the bottom of the ProFlex sump

SI_rEEfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2011, 02:24 AM   #30
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

Ok so i got my proflex sump in today and im pumped. I got the model 3. So i am having trouble deciding on what skimmer to get because the 3rd chamber isnt very big. They recommend a skimmer for it which is a coralife pro skimmer 125. So my question is do i really want to go with that one? i like Reef Octopus Extreme XS 160 but i think it will be really snug in the third chamber. I know i could move the skimmer to the 2nd chamber but then i would lose the refugium. Any ideas/suggestions im all ears.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Max NANO 20gal
Unread 02/23/2011, 07:48 AM   #31
BigRedNole
Registered Member

I have the ProFlex 3 as well. I am new, so nothing to really compare it to. Very easy setup. The 3rd chamber is very small and I have looked at options for an internal skimmer. It is not an easy option unless you have an external return pump IMO. My skimmer is external, so it provides more room to play with there.

BigRedNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2011, 12:20 PM   #32
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

I am hoping not to have to drill in the 3rd chamber to have an external skimmer. Anyone have a model 3 with the skimmer in the 3rd chamber?

Unread 02/23/2011, 12:37 PM   #33
lacosta28
Premium Member

Quote:
Ok so i got my proflex sump in today and im pumped. I got the model 3. So i am having trouble deciding on what skimmer to get because the 3rd chamber isnt very big. They recommend a skimmer for it which is a coralife pro skimmer 125. So my question is do i really want to go with that one? i like Reef Octopus Extreme XS 160 but i think it will be really snug in the third chamber. I know i could move the skimmer to the 2nd chamber but then i would lose the refugium. Any ideas/suggestions im all ears.
I also have the Proflex model 3 sump. I have managed to put a rio 2500 return pump and Reef Octopus xs 160 skimmer in the last section. I did have to buy some pvc elbows to modify the direction of the water coming out of the skimmer so that it falls where the blue sponge is. Also since it is metric on the skimmer I had to buy a rubber boot to fit the pvc elbows. It costed around 6 dollars to do this.

lacosta28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2011, 12:55 PM   #34
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

Ok thats great news! The more i look at it now i am wondering why model 2 is bigger but model 3 is for bigger systems. was the skimmer snug in there cus it says the octo is like 8x9 and the 3rd chamber is like 8 3/4?

Unread 02/23/2011, 01:11 PM   #35
brev87
Registered Member

I have the Proflex Model 3 as well. I was able to fit my Aquac ev 120 w/mag 7 and a mag 7 for the return. The Aquac 120 fit perfectly actually, and I was able to have the water hit the blue sponge.

brev87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2011, 01:15 PM   #36
lacosta28
Premium Member

Quote:
Ok thats great news! The more i look at it now i am wondering why model 2 is bigger but model 3 is for bigger systems. was the skimmer snug in there cus it says the octo is like 8x9 and the 3rd chamber is like 8 3/4?
It's pretty snug but not that bad really. What makes it snug is the control valve on the skimmer. It sticks up out the side. The base and the pump all have room though. I will take a picture of the setup for you when I get home from work this afternoon. BTW: I love that skimmer. It did make microbubbles the first 4 days but since then they have stopped. All I have are snails in my DT and it still pulls out dark almost black stuff in the collection cup.

I found a site with the dimensions, I think 2 has a bigger last section but the refugium and first section are really small.

Unread 02/23/2011, 01:25 PM   #37
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacosta28 View Post
It's pretty snug but not that bad really. What makes it snug is the control valve on the skimmer. It sticks up out the side. The base and the pump all have room though. I will take a picture of the setup for you when I get home from work this afternoon. BTW: I love that skimmer. It did make microbubbles the first 4 days but since then they have stopped. All I have are snails in my DT and it still pulls out dark almost black stuff in the collection cup.

I found a site with the dimensions, I think 2 has a bigger last section but the refugium and first section are really small.
Ok thanks that would help a ton!

Unread 02/23/2011, 06:16 PM   #38
jimrawr
Registered Member

I have the model 3 with a swc 180 skimmer in it along with a mag 9 pump, they fit perfect.

The swc 160 would also fit

Unread 02/24/2011, 12:59 AM   #39
lacosta28
Premium Member

Here are the pictures of my setup.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sump1_1.jpg (53.3 KB, 357 views)
File Type: jpg sump2_1.jpg (51.4 KB, 331 views)
File Type: jpg sump4_1.jpg (51.4 KB, 321 views)
Unread 02/24/2011, 01:42 AM   #40
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacosta28 View Post
Here are the pictures of my setup.
Ya thats pretty snug. not much room to add like a heater? Have you noticed a change in water level in the 3rd chamber since the space is so crowded and has this effected the skimmer in any way?

Unread 02/24/2011, 06:35 AM   #41
BigRedNole
Registered Member

Thanks for the skimmer info. My external skimmer is still leaking and I am done trying to fix it. Even if I got it fixed, I would be dealing with the noise from the recirculating pump. I need to find a skimmer that can fit the 13"x8" third chamber and still have the return pump. I may have to re-plumb the return.

I am looking at the following simply because of the footprints...

AquaC EV 120
Super Reef Octopus XP1000ss
Bubble Magus BM-NAC7
Reef Octopus XS160
SWC Xtreme 160

If anyone has a recommendation, please make one. Right now, I am leaning towards the SRO XP1000ss

Unread 02/24/2011, 10:29 AM   #42
lacosta28
Premium Member

Quote:
Ya thats pretty snug. not much room to add like a heater? Have you noticed a change in water level in the 3rd chamber since the space is so crowded and has this effected the skimmer in any way?
There is 2 inches or more of room behind the skimmer. So you could fit a heater in there if it fit from left to right (the blue foam wall to the other wall). My heater wouldn't have fit in there even if there wasn't anything in that section.

After putting the skimmer in it raised the water level about 3/4 of an inch. I did have to watch things for a few days to get the right level of water so the skimmer was effecient yet it wouldn't overflow in case of a power outage. I also used to top off a cup a day and not its almost 2 cups a day. Not sure if that is due to the skimmer or the slight in crease in temperature this time of year.

I don't think the tight fit has had any effect on the skimmer's performance. When looking in from the side there is plenty of room between the actual skimmer pump and the return pump. It's just the big red casing that makes it a tight fit. The pump itself is centered between that and is sort of small. Also if you notice there is dark stuff in the collection cup. I cleaned it the day before I took the picture and it already has this much. I also don't have any fish yet in the DT, only a small CUC.

Unread 02/24/2011, 02:05 PM   #43
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedNole View Post
Thanks for the skimmer info. My external skimmer is still leaking and I am done trying to fix it. Even if I got it fixed, I would be dealing with the noise from the recirculating pump. I need to find a skimmer that can fit the 13"x8" third chamber and still have the return pump. I may have to re-plumb the return.

I am looking at the following simply because of the footprints...

AquaC EV 120
Super Reef Octopus XP1000ss
Bubble Magus BM-NAC7
Reef Octopus XS160
SWC Xtreme 160

If anyone has a recommendation, please make one. Right now, I am leaning towards the SRO XP1000ss
I dont have a skimmer yet but from all the research i have done for the proflex it seems most people are going with the aquac or reef 160. I am going to be going with the 160 in a group order from brs.

Unread 02/26/2011, 11:56 PM   #44
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

Is there a particular refugium light that goes with it?

Unread 02/27/2011, 12:13 AM   #45
lacosta28
Premium Member

I bought this one and it fits perfect on there. http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CGkQ8gIwAg#

You could probably find something a little cheaper and you don't need anything big. The window on top is pretty small.

Unread 02/27/2011, 12:20 AM   #46
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

Thanks i wish i could remember when i was reading another thread someone talked about purchases the optional light and i cant find anything in particular that is for the proflex. I dont need anything fancy.

Unread 02/27/2011, 05:27 AM   #47
BigRedNole
Registered Member

Quote:
I dont have a skimmer yet but from all the research i have done for the proflex it seems most people are going with the aquac or reef 160. I am going to be going with the 160 in a group order from brs.
thank you for the information. Since the RO 160 fits and I can see it in the pics, that is probably the route I will go. I may need to completely re-plumb the return though. It is PVC and probably will not fit the way I have it now.

Unread 03/04/2011, 07:43 PM   #48
jimrawr
Registered Member

Can someone tell me what they do to prevent micro bubbles returning into the DT? I have my SWC 180 right near my Mag 9 return pump, and I have SO many micro bubbles returning into the DT.

Not sure what exactly I can do to prevent this on this sump where the skimmer goes into the last chamber :/

Unread 03/04/2011, 08:58 PM   #49
MrGoodbar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrawr View Post
Can someone tell me what they do to prevent micro bubbles returning into the DT? I have my SWC 180 right near my Mag 9 return pump, and I have SO many micro bubbles returning into the DT.

Not sure what exactly I can do to prevent this on this sump where the skimmer goes into the last chamber :/
How old is your skimmer? It might not be broken in yet takes a little bit. Do you have the skimmer return over top the blue sponge? A picture of how you have it set up would help a lot.

Unread 03/05/2011, 12:07 AM   #50
jimrawr
Registered Member

Its a new skimmer but it should be broken in by now. I think its been up and running around 3 weeks now minimum.. I dont have the blue sponge on the output as there really isnt room for it. Ill try to post pics in the morning