Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/03/2019, 07:20 AM   #1
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

LEDs only tank

So I know this is an old age question, but I know there’s some people out there who’s been successful using LEDs only.

I am upgrading to a 180 and thinking of using 4- Radion XR30s. What I have currently on the 4’ tank is a hybrid t5-led. Corals are doing great. But I want to simplify my set up and go to leds only.

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon, 3 G4 Radions
Mike de Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2019, 09:55 AM   #2
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike de Leon View Post
So I know this is an old age question, but I know there’s some people out there who’s been successful using LEDs only.

I am upgrading to a 180 and thinking of using 4- Radion XR30s. What I have currently on the 4’ tank is a hybrid t5-led. Corals are doing great. But I want to simplify my set up and go to leds only.
So the question is... how do I do it successfully?

Unread 08/03/2019, 11:26 AM   #3
Desertoasis
Registered Member

There's nothing wrong with just using LED's. T-5's have their benefits but you can grow perfectly healthy coral with just LED's. From what I've read and heard there's also going to be less algae growth on the glass with just LED light.

Desertoasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2019, 07:26 PM   #4
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertoasis View Post
There's nothing wrong with just using LED's. T-5's have their benefits but you can grow perfectly healthy coral with just LED's. From what I've read and heard there's also going to be less algae growth on the glass with just LED light.
Thanks. That’s what I’m thinking. However sps are very finicky. It’s hit and miss with led. There’s more tweaking that need to be done.
Really want to hear from ppl that’s had success with them.

Unread 08/04/2019, 06:27 AM   #5
Antics
Registered Member

It seems to be the current trend to use an (almost) excessive number of LED fixtures to help combat shadowing by introducing considerable sources of light for LED only SPS dominant tanks.

Based on the videos and build threads I've seen with multiyear success it seems to me that LED only really becomes a problem or bottleneck when colonies reach the size where shadowing is the problem. Most people seem to be combating this with the hybrid lighting approaches. I don't think I've seen any well documented very mature SPS reef tanks with a strict LED only approach.

But again -- the success and growth of the corals requiring these hybrid lighting methods are definitely the epitome of reef husbandry.

Antics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2019, 07:52 AM   #6
Njdevils1220
Registered Member

Hybrid

I personally am only running Atlantik V4s but the growth is slow right now. I have friends with 300G plus systems that grow from frags to massive colonies in a few months with T5 LED hybrid. The new Orphek OR2 bars are cheap and perform just as well as Reefbrites and offer some other spectrum choices.

Njdevils1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2019, 02:52 PM   #7
biecacka
Registered Member

I recently switched from halides to orpheks and they will be my only source of light. ::crosses fingers::

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2019, 11:12 AM   #8
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

It's all about water chemistry when getting down to Sps. From t5 to halide to led any of these light can successfully keep Sps as long as your water chemistry and flow are adequate. I have a 360g full blown Sps and I have no problem growing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABC corals

Current Tank Info: 360g Peninsula sps
ycnibrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2019, 07:44 PM   #9
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycnibrc View Post
It's all about water chemistry when getting down to Sps. From t5 to halide to led any of these light can successfully keep Sps as long as your water chemistry and flow are adequate. I have a 360g full blown Sps and I have no problem growing them.

Thanks. Upon further investigation, and due to the number of lights that I already have, I will go with hybrid again.
I have three Radion XR30 G4. This won’t be enough for proper coverage on my 6’ tank, and I’m not doing to spend another 2k.

What are you running for your system?

Unread 08/07/2019, 08:41 PM   #10
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

I have 4 radions and 3 ocean revive on a 8' tank. I used to run halide and switch to led like a year ago. Grow is slower but color is better. However i don't have to worry about lighting in 8 to 10 years

ABC corals

Unread 08/13/2019, 03:52 PM   #11
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Coverage is always the issue. Got myself the 60” aquatic life hybrid.

Unread 08/14/2019, 05:24 PM   #12
JPMagyar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
I recently switched from halides to orpheks and they will be my only source of light. ::crosses fingers::

Corey

No, you've gone to the "Dark Side"

Keep taking pictures . . . especially macros.

Cheers,

Joe

Reef Hobbyist Magazine journalist, and all around SPS nut!

Current Tank Info: 240 with 750 gal total system, ATI LED Powermodule, MTC-HSA 1000. MTC Pro-Cal..
JPMagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2019, 05:26 PM   #13
JPMagyar
Registered Member

Quote:
I have 4 radions and 3 ocean revive on a 8' tank. I used to run halide and switch to led like a year ago. Grow is slower but color is better. However i don't have to worry about lighting in 8 to 10 years

I believe that LEDs change our perception and that can be good, but in the end we want ALL our corals to be happy and grow, and I'm still not convinced that ALL corals grow well under LEDs.

Current Tank Info: 240 with 750 gal total system, ATI LED Powermodule, MTC-HSA 1000. MTC Pro-Cal..
Unread 08/14/2019, 05:35 PM   #14
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMagyar View Post
I believe that LEDs change our perception and that can be good, but in the end we want ALL our corals to be happy and grow, and I'm still not convinced that ALL corals grow well under LEDs.
Light is not the main component for growing Coral. I believe water chemistry and flow are much more important in the role of growing corals. Any light can grow Coral well such as t5 and halide. Led is just less maintenance

ABC corals

Unread 08/14/2019, 05:36 PM   #15
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

My staghorn grow as fast as in the ocean in my tank
https://youtu.be/feDCanwVfXo

ABC corals

Unread 08/14/2019, 05:47 PM   #16
JPMagyar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike de Leon View Post

To the OP. Here's my famous picture of my reef under halides:

I do not believe ALL corals grow as well under LEDs as they do under T5 or MH so I am a huge advocate of hybrid lighting.

OK so I'm an old guy. Help me out here. I used to right click and a tab appeared offering me an option to share a link for a picture. I no longer see that option and can't figure out how to share a picture that already exists on the web. Here is the direct link: https://postimg.cc/6Tkf6CXn

EDIT: I figured out that is a function of the browser: Here's the pic:

Last edited by JPMagyar; 08/14/2019 at 06:06 PM.
Unread 08/14/2019, 06:13 PM   #17
JPMagyar
Registered Member

Quote:
Light is not the main component for growing Coral. I believe water chemistry and flow are much more important in the role of growing corals. Any light can grow Coral well such as t5 and halide. Led is just less maintenance
I completely disagree on the issue of flow. In fact, I am having this same discussion on R 2 R right now. My famous picture above was in a tank that had 2 Tunzes in the back corner that were on timers. Each Tunze ran one at a time for 6 hours. My corals grew like crazy and so that totally negates the hypothesis of flow as a leading factor. Flow helps keep detritus in suspension. It does not enhance coral growth.

Wow, I really hate how RC restricts links to other websites. That is truly outdated and stupid.

Suffice to say I have supporting pictures and data, but can't link to it because of RC's restrictions.

Unread 08/17/2019, 10:54 PM   #18
greekspec
Registered Member

don't flame me but I'm a halide guy and majority of the tanks I ever seen lit by LED's the corals and tank look unnatural because, to blue, dark and everything glowing florescent just my opinion

greekspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2019, 07:12 PM   #19
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Quote:

I do not believe ALL corals grow as well under LEDs as they do under T5 or MH so I am a huge advocate of hybrid lighting.

OK so I'm an old guy. Help me out here. I used to right click and a tab appeared offering me an option to share a link for a picture. I no longer see that option and can't figure out how to share a picture that already exists on the web. Here is the direct link: https://postimg.cc/6Tkf6CXn

I know this tank. It was one of my favourites. Most if not all of the tanks I’ve seen with higher end corals have T5s and Reefbrites these days. I have yet to see purely LED lighting.

I hate to see arguments happen on these threads. We all have varying experiences. I find every tank is different.

Unread 08/19/2019, 01:08 PM   #20
Jsarrow
Registered Member

Quote:

Such a nice tank! Do you have a build thread on this one or your current tank?

Jsarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2019, 09:48 AM   #21
kenpau
Registered Member

I think the issue with LEDs is the time it takes to grow corals, but they do definitely grow coral.
I’ve run every type of lighting from MH to LED and my preference from an aesthetic point of view is LED, my favourite time to view my system is during ramp down in the evening, everything seems to slow down and calm in the tank. Obviously having a sunrise and sunset is of no benefit to the coral at all but it does maximise my enjoyment of the tank.
At present I’m running two XR15 G4 pros on my 2ft shallow cube, I’m seeing good coral growth and colour but it is slow growth, my previous system ran a Giesemann T5/LED hybrid and if I’m honest I’d go back to this in a heartbeat if it didn’t mean losing about $1000 on replacing my G4’s.
LEDs definitely grow coral but I find the growth much slower, the growth I’ve had under my G4’s in a year I achieved in around 4-5 months under my hybrid, this is probably the reason we see very few fully grown out LED tanks, as reefers we tend to be inherently inpatient, why spend more to wait 5 years to achieve results you can achieve in 2 years for less money.
It all depends on your viewpoint I guess, if you enjoy the sleek design and customisation LED brings, AND you have the patience then LED all the way.
If you want faster results and aren’t fussed on the bells and whistles then MH or T5 will definitely do that for you.
Hybrids are the best of both worlds I guess.

Current Tank Info: 220 Gallon mixed reef
kenpau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2019, 10:10 PM   #22
ros_sco
Premium Member

Mike,
I have had great success with 3 X Radion XR30 and a pair of 80 watt T5 Blue Plus over my 6 foot x 27 wide x 25 tall 210. This is after switching from T5’s and a reefbrite. I am running the Radions end to end and am utilizing the T5’s front and back to prevent shading at just 4 hours a day. It just makes sense that the side of the coral we look at the front of the tank at will not be colored to it’s full potential if the light source is behind it. I have no doubt that running a canopy full of Radions at half intensity would grow the coral just fine, but like you, I’m not gonna spend another 2K to achieve that.
My setup was inspired by a visit to WWC, and they have a jaw dropping show tank set up the same way.
I think your plan will work just fine.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8AB1DF55-2E76-47DE-A2D7-E31C23B97A66.jpg (85.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 63CCEA03-EB99-4EC5-91A5-9F656011376B.jpg (84.5 KB, 32 views)

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon 72"L x 25"H x 27"W custom 3/4" acrylic reef tank with custom sump, 3 x Radion XR30 Pro with 2 80 watt T5, Aqua C EV180 skimmer, Geo 818 CA reactor, 4 x Vortech mp40 & 2 MP60, Apex controller
ros_sco is offline   Reply With Quote