Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/14/2019, 10:40 PM   #1
reachjohnnyliu
Registered Member

battery backup

Is there any reason to not use a UPC that's designed for a computer as the battery backup for an aquarium?

reachjohnnyliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2019, 12:53 AM   #2
gargoylenest
Registered Member

that is what I been using for 2 years, give me a few hours on the pumps until I start the generator.

gargoylenest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2019, 11:21 AM   #3
alton
Registered Member

UPS are used for backup of items for a very short time. Unless you connect a deep cycle battery normally you may only connect a small power head. 12 amp hour battery x 12 volts + 144 watts per hour so 120v motor x 10 watts = 120 watts for an hour. There are other factors but hopefully you get the idea?

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2019, 07:44 PM   #4
ROlympia
Registered Member

Depends on what you're putting on it. Ecotech pumps/powerheads for instance will slow to conserve battery life when power fails and connected to an Ecotech battery backup; won't on a UPS.

ROlympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2019, 10:13 PM   #5
Wiskey
Registered Member

It depends. There are "true" sine wave battery backups, and regular ones. I have a regular one and if I connect that to my computer it works great, but my Iwaki pump makes a crazy noise.

My backup is only connected to my tunze pump. It will last about 24 hours in it's current config, but if I was buying new I'd buy the Tunze solution that's DC to DC for extra efficiency.

It did save my tank. We had fires that wiped out the community next to ours, but never jumped the 15 freeway. This was about 2 years ago. We were evacuated for a week, and the logs show that power was out in my system for about a day and a half. I have no idea what temp did, but that one Tunze 6105 kept flow going and the corals and fish all survived.

My advice? Keep flow going and that's it. The most important thing is flow to bring O2 to corals, and propeller pumps are very low power so they can run a long time.

Whiskey