Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/27/2016, 01:49 PM   #1
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Which bubble king ?

Hi,

Am in the process of setting up a 93 gallon cube with a 20 gallon sump . So the volume comes to around 120 gallons.
Looking for a protein skimmer in the market and if my wallet permits , wanna buy a RE once for a lifetime ..
Question is which one more suited as unlike most skimmers, bubble kings are efficiently sized by Royal Exclusive .
I have narrowed down to :-

1. RE Mini 180 VS12 Extra Slim
2. RE Mini 180 Gen 3 VS12
3. RE Double Cone 180 + RD3 pump.

Which one will be most suited for a dominant sps tank ? Also whats the difference between Mini 180 VS12 Extra slim and Mini 180 Gen3 and why is it costlier than the Double Cone 180 with RD3 pump.

One more thing wanna declare that am very novice when it comes to hobby and starting after 5 years and have used only cheap skimmers so far . So will like to stay away from complicated skimmers which require very minute fine tuning as I don't have a lot of experience .

Appreciate your help ..

Regards,
Abhishek

abhishek@1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2016, 02:25 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

My first choice for your display size would be the Double Cone 180 due in large part to the RD3 pump but also because of your display size. The RD3 pump makes fine tuning a skimmer a breeze and it's also much more efficient than the standard Red Dragon included with the Mini 180. With the RD3, your best setting for that skimmer would be between 18 and 23 watts. The Mini 180 would be a bit oversized for your display and may not perform as well. Another reason why I would choose the Double Cone 180 over the Mini is because the pump is located outside the skimmer body where as the Mini's as space saver designs that locate the pump inside the skimmer body. Having the pump outside the body makes routine pump cleaning much easier as you won't have to disassemble the skimmer body to access the pump.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2016, 02:43 PM   #3
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Thanks Sleif for the reply ..

Makes total sense with your explanation. The Double Cone 180 with pump requires 11" x 14 " space if I am not wrong .. That's a lot .. Will have to find a sump suitable enough

Wonder why the RE Mini 180 Gen 3 VS12 cost more than the one with RD3 pump ? Am looking at Aquarium Specialty though -

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/pro...ufacturer=6949

Regards,
Abhishek

Unread 06/27/2016, 07:01 PM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek@1985 View Post
Thanks Sleif for the reply ..

Makes total sense with your explanation. The Double Cone 180 with pump requires 11" x 14 " space if I am not wrong .. That's a lot .. Will have to find a sump suitable enough

Wonder why the RE Mini 180 Gen 3 VS12 cost more than the one with RD3 pump ? Am looking at Aquarium Specialty though -

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/pro...ufacturer=6949

Regards,
Abhishek
Good question. Not sure but it could be a mistake though. I checked both our site and Premium and both have the Mini 180's priced below the Double Cone 180.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 07/04/2016, 12:25 PM   #5
abhishek@1985
Registered Member

Hi Slief ,

I have an opportunity to pick up a Double Cone 150 in amazing condition but only at less than half the price . Also, my tank size has been revised to be around 60-65 gallons with 20 gallon sump.

Do you think Double Cone 150 will be a better fit than the 180 ?

Is there any mod that you suggest that can be added to the Double Cone 150 ? I saw your Youtube video on the Double Cone 150 after 4 hrs f setting up and was amazed a the amount of foam created :O..

Blew me away literally ...

Regards,
Abhishek

Unread 07/04/2016, 01:19 PM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek@1985 View Post
Hi Slief ,

I have an opportunity to pick up a Double Cone 150 in amazing condition but only at less than half the price . Also, my tank size has been revised to be around 60-65 gallons with 20 gallon sump.

Do you think Double Cone 150 will be a better fit than the 180 ?

Is there any mod that you suggest that can be added to the Double Cone 150 ? I saw your Youtube video on the Double Cone 150 after 4 hrs f setting up and was amazed a the amount of foam created :O..

Blew me away literally ...

Regards,
Abhishek

The Double Cone 150 would be better in terms of size for your load though a bit more difficult to fine tune. The Mini's are more of a set it and forget it skimmer that do well right out of the box. For your size tank, a Mini 160 would work well too. The Double Cone 150's are a bit more finicky to setup due to the adjustable nozzle which a slight adjustment of the nozzle can have a big impact on the skimmers performance and stability. This isn't a bad thing but it does take patience to get it dialed in for any given system.

If you go that route, I would set the skimmer up in about 6.75" of water and start at around 4.5 full turns out on the nozzle. Wedge pipe wide open. Then close the nozzle a fraction of a turn at a time until you get the foam where it's consistent and stable. You can then use the wedge pipe to raise the water level in the skimmer as needed to get it producing skimmate. Keep in mind that a very slight adjustment of the nozzle and wedge pipe can make a big difference in the skimmers foam production and level inside the skimmer. Best settings on the nozzle for that skimmer are generally between 4.5 and 3.5 full turns out from closed. I've seen some have to go as high as 5 full turns out on the nozzle but sump depth, amount of dissolved organics in the water coupled with salinity all play a big role in where the best settings are as every tank is different.

Make sure you give the skimmer 24 hours to settle in before starting to make adjustments and also keep in mind that it will take a week for the skimmer to fully break in which will be when you can make the final adjustments. Make sure when adjusting the nozzle, you only turn it a fraction of a turn. It's best to mark the nozzle as noted in the video so you have a reference point as to where you are in the turns. I suggest taking some notes so you know what each adjustment has accomplished (good or bad). Also, every time you put your hands in the tank to make an adjustment on the nozzle, the oils from your skin will impact the skimmer so allow a couple hours after making an adjustment so the skimmer has a chance to settle back down.