Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/14/2019, 12:58 PM   #1
Melfy77
Registered Member

Fish stocking for 30 FO

Hi!
I've kept manu saltwater tanks in the past (most of them between 5 and 20g). I set up a 30g FO des weeks ago
I already have a yellow watchman/randall pistol shrimp pair. I also plan on having :
Pair of pink skunk clownfish
Valentini puffer

I was thinking one other fish, like a carpenter's wrasse.
I like the jawfish but only have 1 1/2 Or 2 inches of sand so clearly not enough lol

Melfy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2019, 04:46 PM   #2
mike61289
Registered Member

The watchman goby and shrimp pair is a great start! As for the rest, it's not a great idea. Pink skunk clowns get pretty big. A pair would be a bit much for a 30 gallon. A valentini puffer can theoretically be kept in a tank that size, but your pistol shrimp might be dinner.

Consider other fish and maybe try to keep the list to 3 smaller fish. A royal gramma would be a nice addition. You can consider a banggai cardinal (even a pair). There are options, but the list is still limited in a 30 gallon.

Unread 04/14/2019, 04:58 PM   #3
Melfy77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike61289 View Post
The watchman goby and shrimp pair is a great start! As for the rest, it's not a great idea. Pink skunk clowns get pretty big. A pair would be a bit much for a 30 gallon. A valentini puffer can theoretically be kept in a tank that size, but your pistol shrimp might be dinner.

Consider other fish and maybe try to keep the list to 3 smaller fish. A royal gramma would be a nice addition. You can consider a banggai cardinal (even a pair). There are options, but the list is still limited in a 30 gallon.
My girls really wanted pink clownfish haha. I've owned baggai before and hated them. Not active at all and not super colorful. I want something différent (also had dottyback and gramma in the past).
What about a jawfish?

Unread 04/14/2019, 05:29 PM   #4
Melfy77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melfy77 View Post
My girls really wanted pink clownfish haha. I've owned baggai before and hated them. Not active at all and not super colorful. I want something différent (also had dottyback and gramma in the past).
What about a jawfish?
I should also and I really want a pair of something. Clownfish are great because 2 juvies will become (most likely) a pair. I don't know a lot of fish that do this. I think the green banded goby does but too small for this tank

Unread 04/14/2019, 06:10 PM   #5
mike61289
Registered Member

The jawfish needs a deeper sandbed.

From what I understand, you want pink, pairing, and different. What about a pair of helfrichi firefish? They're expensive and rare, but somewhat pink and extremely beautiful. I just don't know how the goby would like them. You would also need to ensure that the tank is covered.

Like I said before, 30 gallons isn't that big. Your options are pretty limited.

Unread 04/14/2019, 06:31 PM   #6
Melfy77
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike61289 View Post
The jawfish needs a deeper sandbed.

From what I understand, you want pink, pairing, and different. What about a pair of helfrichi firefish? They're expensive and rare, but somewhat pink and extremely beautiful. I just don't know how the goby would like them. You would also need to ensure that the tank is covered.

Like I said before, 30 gallons isn't that big. Your options are pretty limited.
They are gorgeous!!! My LFS had a pair few weeks ago...250$...There goes my groceries for the month
I know 30g is small (well after running a 8g it looks to me lol) but my landlord would freak if I got something bigger
I'll keep looking. But the Valentini is staying on the list. I had one and it jumped. We were heartbroken. So much personnality. It ate a peppermint shrimp as big as him and was just looking at my saying "oh this? I don't know what happened...much be a snail..." His fat belly gave him away

Unread 04/14/2019, 06:33 PM   #7
Melfy77
Registered Member

And this tank had a lid on it

Unread 04/15/2019, 11:30 AM   #8
mike61289
Registered Member

Maybe remove the shrimp in your tank then if you still want the puffer. Getting a fish that's going to kill your other livestock isn't worth it. The shrimp has a life too after all.

Unread 04/15/2019, 03:51 PM   #9
Melfy77
Registered Member

I won't get the puffer. Pink clownfish yes though. It had to be one or the other. 2 pink skunk and the goby/shrimp combo. Not exactly what I had in mind but oh well my kids win hahaha

Unread 04/15/2019, 05:27 PM   #10
mike61289
Registered Member

Just be ready... You'll likely have to pull those clowns out when they get big. They get bigger than the usual ocellaris and percula clowns.