Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2016, 04:59 PM   #126
edward1096
Registered Member

Mixing up the sand bed weekly is a really good idea to get rid of all the waste that builds up in your tank. I would recommend for any size tank followed by water change.

edward1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2016, 07:06 PM   #127
dmh8801
Registered Member

Cleaned my sand with a canister filter

After getting fed up with fighting algae I said screw it and vacuumed every bit of the sand bed I could get to with a canister filter. No water changes (other then the gallon or so I lost while dumping out the filter).

I connected my siphon to a canister filter and the outlet went back in the tank. (The canister had a couple types of filter media in it.) I siphoned the sand all the way to the bottom of the tank. I would leave it in the same spot until clear water flowed through the siphon and the sand looked clean. The places I couldn't get to with the siphon, I would blow with the outlet hose of the filter with the siphon close by. I made three passes through the tank doing this.

I did this yesterday. While doing it the tank was a cloudy mess. Three hours later everything had cleared up and our corals were starting to perk back up. Six hours later, the corals looked great. Today I come home from work and the tank looks better than it ever has!

I have to say, I did start running GFO and carbon about two weeks ago with just a little effect. Cleaning the sand bed was like a night and day difference.

I'll report back on how things go from here.

Remora-S skimmer

Last edited by dmh8801; 02/16/2016 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Left out about GFO and carbon
dmh8801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2016, 10:42 PM   #128
CStrickland
Registered Member

I would expect some immediate perking from coral just due to stirring up detritus. They love that stuff.
I hope the good results continue long-term.

Current Tank Info: 3/2016 upgrade to 120g. Chalk bass, melanurus, firefish, starry blenny, canary blenny, lyretail anthias, engineer gobys, kole tang. Softies / LPS / NPS. <3 noob4life <3
CStrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2016, 05:49 PM   #129
dmh8801
Registered Member

Thanks CStrickland.

One week in after my major vacuum job and the tank is still looking great.

Very glad I did it.

Remora-S skimmer
dmh8801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2016, 05:21 AM   #130
rcypert
Registered Member

I take care of about 8 tanks for friends and people I have met through work. When I started out caring for tanks there were some filthy tanks. Some sandbeds had an inch thick layer of crap on top. I needed to vacuum it. So I started really light just a little at a time only do part of the tank. Bullcrap. It's all myth. Finally after playing with it. I just vacuum the heck out of them now. Everytime I see a new tank I don't care if it's 1 or 3 inches thick I vacuum it. All the way down. It has never hurt a single thing. It has only made it better. My sandbed at home has always been fairly clean so I never felt the need to vacuum it. But I started doing mine. It helps. All tanks I look after are saltwater. Some with skimmers and without. All different types of setups and livestock.
Don't just stir it. Vacuum it. Kick your skimmer on high make sure it's working good and go to town on that sand. If you don't have a skimmer get one first. A good one. Vacuum your sand. Your tank will appreciate it

rcypert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2016, 05:52 AM   #131
salty joe
Registered Member

You mention that some tanks you look after don't have a skimmer. You also mention getting a skimmer before you vacuum sand. Do you vacuum sand on systems with no skimmer?

I ask because keeping sand turned over makes sense to me and I don't use a skimmer.

Unread 12/21/2016, 05:48 PM   #132
Griff500
Registered Member

This is a great thread. Shouldn't it be a sticky?

Griff500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2017, 02:57 PM   #133
Behroz
Registered Member

from DSB to 1 inch

Hello. i have 150 gl reef whit DSB but always i have problem . can you please let me know how from DSB i go to 1 inch sand bed ? Thanks ben

Behroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2018, 12:04 PM   #134
Pipefitter533
Registered Member

this is very good point and the way i am going thx

Pipefitter533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2018, 05:20 PM   #135
Cstone123
Registered Member

I strongly agree.

I am fortunate. When I started this hobby my son was already 10 years into the hobby so he helped me with several items I would have struggled with. One of his first suggestions was to put in a course sand. Reason: it’s heavier, so during a vacuum it tumbles in the vacuum tube releasing all of the detritus ( poop ) while the sand falls back to earth. I actually use a small tube for tight areas and a big tube for the main field. I have a 90 gal with lots of rock so I can only vacuumed the outside edges as I can reach. I’m guessing I get 35% of the bed at best. But what I do vacuumed is like milk coming out of the same. The longer I wait the worse it is. For the remainder of my bed I keep 2 sand sifting cucumbers that help a lot. I have to be carful when I go digging with my small tube so I don’t hit them. The sand creates its own ecosystem, stuff that eats and stuff that rots. I call it a compost bed. It’s like changing the sheets on my bed. I can’t see it, but it’s there. Like a second hand smoke or a drive in farm country, fish don’t like it either. Poop is poop. Get it out.......

Cstone123 is offline   Reply With Quote