Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 02/28/2006, 12:16 PM   #1
JohnL
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...03#post6847803

Unread 02/28/2006, 12:16 PM   #2
patsan
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
Nice pics as always, Pat!
Thanks Dennis. Can't wait to get the lights back. I guess we're just lucky we had those pc's sitting here from day 1.

Current Tank Info: spectator
Unread 02/28/2006, 06:06 PM   #3
drk70
Premium Member

Picture time!

Current Tank Info: 70g RR, DIY Stand & Canopy, 29g Sump, Mag 9.5 return, Aqua C EV-180 w/ Mag 7, 6-39W T-5 Retro Kit, 70g TBS package
Unread 02/28/2006, 06:06 PM   #4
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Wow...hey all, I thought i would post out a warning here. There is a fellow reefer in houston that has TBS urchins (the black/purple spined ones) and he told me they attacked his maze brain. I was like, YEAH RIGHT! I have a favites doing just fine in my tank.

INSERT IGNORE IGNORE FOOT INTO MOUTH

I woke up this morning to find half of my favites frag eaten away!!!! All the skeleton was gone from one side. There was a trail of bare rock leading away from the frag (all the coralline had been eaten) and the trail led right to one of my urchins!!!

Now that isn't exactly proof and watching it eat the frag, but I don't have any known hitchhikers or livestock that could munch away on a coral skeleton like that. The urchins have the most powerful mouths in the tank and the trail was pretty clear.

Looks like they will be banished to the sump They might get mini vacations to the main tank if hair algae grows out of control. I doubt I have enough rock in my sump to support 2 urchins long term though

Bummer.

Brian

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef with 29 gal sump and 8 gal Clownfish species tank
Unread 02/28/2006, 06:07 PM   #5
drk70
Premium Member

More!!

Current Tank Info: 70g RR, DIY Stand & Canopy, 29g Sump, Mag 9.5 return, Aqua C EV-180 w/ Mag 7, 6-39W T-5 Retro Kit, 70g TBS package
Unread 02/28/2006, 06:09 PM   #6
drk70
Premium Member

The last of them!

Unread 02/28/2006, 06:12 PM   #7
drk70
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CirolanidHunter

Looks like they will be banished to the sump They might get mini vacations to the main tank if hair algae grows out of control. I doubt I have enough rock in my sump to support 2 urchins long term though
I kept an urchin in my QT for months and months with nothing at all and it is still fine. It is in my sump now and I'm sure it can find more to eat in there than the QT.

Unread 02/28/2006, 06:17 PM   #8
patsan
Premium Member

Brian, sorry to hear that. I found that the limpets had the most powerful suckers when I had them. I was always able to remove the urchins with the claw much easier than I was able to get the limpets out.
And I was the queen of urchin owners. I had more of them than even hermits!

Unread 02/28/2006, 06:21 PM   #9
patsan
Premium Member

Dennis....the pictures are awesome. I gather you borrowed your moms camera again. You need to do that more often.
I love the elephant coral. It is so interesting! I also like the color of your lobo. I think this is the first time it actually looks red in the pictures. Past pics always had it looking brownish/orange.
The zoas look great and so does almost eveything. The only thing that looked weird is your torch coral.

Unread 02/28/2006, 06:26 PM   #10
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Brian, sorry to hear that. I found that the limpets had the most powerful suckers when I had them. I was always able to remove the urchins with the claw much easier than I was able to get the limpets out.
And I was the queen of urchin owners. I had more of them than even hermits!
Pat,

Yes the suction power of limpets is much better than urchins. But the urchins have a considerably stronger mouth than the limpets. The suction isn't really important, it is those nasty sharp pointy teeth! Obscure movie reference if anyone who cares to guess

I also don't have any large limpets remaining in my tank, I think the mantis eats them (found a pile of limpet shells underneath the most likely mantis rock).

Brian

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef with 29 gal sump and 8 gal Clownfish species tank
Unread 02/28/2006, 06:38 PM   #11
drk70
Premium Member

Quote:
Dennis....the pictures are awesome. I gather you borrowed your moms camera again. You need to do that more often.
I love the elephant coral. It is so interesting! I also like the color of your lobo. I think this is the first time it actually looks red in the pictures. Past pics always had it looking brownish/orange.
The zoas look great and so does almost eveything. The only thing that looked weird is your torch coral.
Yes, I should borrow it more or just keep it.

I think as you can see from the pics is the clowns are trying to host in it and I think they are killing it or for the most part killed it.

Unread 02/28/2006, 06:47 PM   #12
ratherbediving
Registered Member

Quote:
Pat,

...The suction isn't really important, it is those nasty sharp pointy teeth! Obscure movie reference if anyone who cares to guess

Brian
Monty Python's The Holy Grail

Except it was a little rabbit, not an urchin, that was eating things it wasn't supposed to

Unread 02/28/2006, 06:52 PM   #13
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ratherbediving
Monty Python's The Holy Grail

Except it was a little rabbit, not an urchin, that was eating things it wasn't supposed to
Yep, my favorite movie probably

Great pictures Dennis, looks like your animals aren't even in water!

Brian

Unread 02/28/2006, 06:53 PM   #14
lunner
Premium Member

WoW DrK70!

I can't stop drooling.......

Unread 02/28/2006, 06:55 PM   #15
patsan
Premium Member

I don't doubt one minute it was the urchin. I watched them eat and destroy my tunicates, sponge and coralline when I first got my TBS.

I can't compete with your corals and pictures Dennis......here are some I took today:

This is the monti cap frag I have. It isn't growing, which is sad. I love monti caps. Who here has some that they can frag me when the weather gets warm?

Unread 02/28/2006, 06:59 PM   #16
patsan
Premium Member

Here are some of the clowns, mandarin and the one of the foxface is weird....but cool the way he was coming at me:

Unread 02/28/2006, 07:00 PM   #17
drk70
Premium Member

Quote:
Yep, my favorite movie probably

Great pictures Dennis, looks like your animals aren't even in water!

Brian
It pays to turn off the skimmer about an hour before and turn off the Tunze just before I take pictures.

Unread 02/28/2006, 07:04 PM   #18
drk70
Premium Member

Lunner, it's the camera!

Pat, give me a break your pics are always great! and remember you still only have those PC lights on your tank.

BTW, any word from Sunlight Supply about them?

Unread 02/28/2006, 07:08 PM   #19
drk70
Premium Member

Pat, I want one of those monti caps also and I was going to get a great frag at the LFS yesterday but when I got there it was gone.

I may consider a montipora digitata. I was reading that they are not too bad to care for. I would like to try something that is a little more difficult than what I have and see how it goes.

Unread 02/28/2006, 07:41 PM   #20
bkelley02
Premium Member

I'll send you one Pat. I have a light green with baby blue polyps that's really starting to grow. As long as it makes it till spring, I'll send you my very first Frag!

Quote:

This is the monti cap frag I have. It isn't growing, which is sad. I love monti caps. Who here has some that they can frag me when the weather gets warm?

Unread 03/01/2006, 05:16 AM   #21
jezzeaepi
Registered Member

What temp do you guys keep your tanks at? Since the gulf is slightly cooler, I was wondering if you were seeing any ill effects from running above 75F.

Unread 03/01/2006, 07:43 AM   #22
bobt2
Registered Member

i still have the limpets in my tanks.i think they do a good job on the algea

Unread 03/01/2006, 07:43 AM   #23
patsan
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
Pat, I want one of those monti caps also and I was going to get a great frag at the LFS yesterday but when I got there it was gone.

I may consider a montipora digitata. I was reading that they are not too bad to care for. I would like to try something that is a little more difficult than what I have and see how it goes.
That picture I showed was the size I got the frag at. Then it was growing...more that double that size. But when we broke down my tank, and we were changing rock from tank to tank, a big piece broke off. I left it in my tank until we had things settled, then I planned on gluing it back on...but when everyone was taking rock out of the tank, the water got so cloudy, I lost the piece...and didn't find it until I was sucking the sand out of the tank.
It just hasn't seemed to grow that one little piece I showed in the picture. But it hasn't died either, so I don't know what the story is. I love the orange color. I would like to get purple, green and more orange. What's the difference between digitata and capricornis?

Brian...that would be GREAT!! I will gladly take you up on the offer. They ship nice in warm weather. Is it you than has a red one? I remember seeing a color I never saw before but I don't remember where.

Quote:
Originally posted by jezzeaepi
What temp do you guys keep your tanks at? Since the gulf is slightly cooler, I was wondering if you were seeing any ill effects from running above 75F.
I think at times the gulf gets up to 90º so I don't think running it at 78-82º is going to have any ill effects. I think we keep our tank around 80-81º.

They do a good job on the algae Bob....but also the coralline. That's what I didn't like about them. Plus they also took care of lots of tunicates I had in the tank.

Unread 03/01/2006, 07:58 AM   #24
bobt2
Registered Member

i run my tanks at 76-78F

Unread 03/01/2006, 08:02 AM   #25
drk70
Premium Member

Quote:
What's the difference between digitata and capricornis?
Not really sure but I think the digitata is more like a branch and the capricornis is flat like a plate.

My temp varies between 78-82 depending on the season and my heater hardly ever comes on. In the summer I have 2 more fans that come on when the lights come on to keep the temp down around 82 during the day.

I still have limpets, welks and gorilla crabs in my tank. Just never manage to get them. I see one of those fleshy limpets from time to time also.

Closed Thread