Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/09/2020, 10:01 PM   #26
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I enjoyed the vid! That overflow is intense. So the display drains into the macro tank, and that overflows into the sump, right? That really came together quickly Dawn!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2020, 05:02 AM   #27
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
I enjoyed the vid! That overflow is intense. So the display drains into the macro tank, and that overflows into the sump, right? That really came together quickly Dawn!
I am glad that you enjoyed the video. I tried to get it to accurately depict my tank system but without being too long and burdensome to watch.

And yes, the display overflows into the macro tank which then overflows (via my diy overflow) into the sump. I think I was able to pull it together so quickly because I use flexible tubing to plumb my tanks. There was enough play and wiggle room that I did not have to change any of the plumbing at all from when the seahorse tank overflowed into the basement sump. All I did was move the display tank a bit to the left, move the hang on the back overflow box onto the display. Downstairs I moved the sump a bit to the left which made enough room to set the macro tank to the right of the sump. Since the macro tank is a 30g XH it was much taller than the sump and was perfect to have it overflow into the sump, via the diy overflow.

Usually the thought of 3 tanks plumbed together scares me because I am a KISS (keep it simple stupid) kind of a gal. However, this is pretty simple. The only thing I can foresee that could go wrong is that the diy overflow could fail, ( although I have stopped and started it over and over and it starts right up). Should that happen for some reason the sump will overflow about 15 gallons of water on the basement floor and there is a drain right there to handle that. The DC pump is designed to shut off automatically should it pump dry and the display will still be aerated by the gyre and powerhead. So it would not be disastrous if the worst scenario happened.

Equipment wise this tank system is fairly simple too. I removed the protein skimmer because I am going to let the macro algae and someday seagrass do my nutrient removal. I have cheap LED lights on the macro tank that I had been using on the sump and the seahorse tank. I am using the same heater as I was using in the reef display but now the heater is in the sump. The sump is not lighted which should encourage the sponges that are already in it to flourish even more. Cryptic zone sponges also have great potential for removing nutrients so I want to encourage that in this system as well.

I could not be more pleased with how well this worked out for me.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2020, 05:16 AM   #28
vlangel
Registered Member

Big news for the tank system today...I placed an order with Live Aquaria. Some time this morning a flasher wrasse, 2 firefish, 3 yellow tail damsels, a royal gramma, a yellow watchman goby, and an ocellaris clown are arriving. My QTs are all set up and ready. I do not plan to medicate unless I see disease. I will give them about a week or 2 and then move them all at once into the display.

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 03/12/2020, 08:38 AM   #29
vlangel
Registered Member

The fish have arrived alive! They all look real good except 1 or 2 of the yellow tail damsels is floating oddly in the QT. Hopefully its just an adjustment issue.

Unread 03/12/2020, 04:10 PM   #30
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
The fish have arrived alive! They all look real good except 1 or 2 of the yellow tail damsels is floating oddly in the QT. Hopefully its just an adjustment issue.
all the best with them.

Current Tank Info: Algae scrubbed.
Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2020, 01:59 PM   #31
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubber_steve View Post
all the best with them.
Thanks scrubber Steve. Sadly none of the damsel made it. They were all in the same QT tank and now I am worried that something was wrong with that tank to cause the problem. All the other fish in the other QT seem fine, even the Carpenter flasher wrasse. I hate it when I have fish losses when I get new fish. Generally if they make it the first 2 weeks I have them for years but its always a risk at first.

Unread 03/13/2020, 10:29 PM   #32
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Sounded like the damsel may have had problems before you got them

Current Tank Info: Algae scrubbed.
Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2020, 10:59 PM   #33
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Great news on the new fish. Sorry the damsels didn't make it. Did they get big lesions on their sides? What were their symptoms?

Unread 03/14/2020, 06:57 AM   #34
vlangel
Registered Member

I am not sure what happened with the damsels and now a firefish is not looking good. There were no lesions or marks on any of them.

Perhaps this was a poor decision but I moved all the healthy looking fish into the display. I may regret that but it's done now. I will let you all know how things go.

Unread 03/14/2020, 06:57 AM   #35
vlangel
Registered Member

I am not sure what happened with the damsels and now a firefish is not looking good. There were no lesions or marks on any of them.

Perhaps this was a poor decision but I moved all the healthy looking fish into the display. I may regret that but it's done now. I will let you all know how things go.

Unread 03/14/2020, 07:00 AM   #36
vlangel
Registered Member

Oops, my tablet is so slow that it acts like it did not post and then I end up double posting.

The fish that got moved were the carpenter flasher wrasse, the royal gramma, the ywg, the clownfish and the 1 firefish.

Unread 03/14/2020, 08:33 AM   #37
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I've had terrible luck with Live Aquaria fish orders. I don't know if it's the new normal, or the fish I ordered were more susceptible. You'd think damsels would be easy. I think damsels maybe don't get the best conditions in the chain of custody. This really forced me to get better at quarantine - finally.

Unread 03/14/2020, 01:40 PM   #38
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I've had terrible luck with Live Aquaria fish orders. I don't know if it's the new normal, or the fish I ordered were more susceptible. You'd think damsels would be easy. I think damsels maybe don't get the best conditions in the chain of custody. This really forced me to get better at quarantine - finally.
I had really good luck with Live Aquaria my first time I ordered from them. That is where the barnacle blennies and the linear blenny came from back in Sept 2018. A sailfin arrived deadthat order but everyone else did well. t I still have all 3 blennies.

Unfortunately not so much this time. I lost the 1 firefish this morning so that's 4 out of 9. It's disheartening. Good news is the wrasse, the Royal gramma, the clown and the living firefish have all eatten in the display tank. They are comfortably swimming out in the open water and look real good. The YWG is residing in a cave but not cowering. I have not seen it eat yet but he is robust looking so I am still optimistic. These fish are great additions to the tank and definitely add the activity and color I was looking for.

My lfs has yellow tail damsels so I may get them there instead of Live Aquaria.

Unread 03/15/2020, 05:16 PM   #39
vlangel
Registered Member

So far the 5 new fish in the display still look very good and I am encouraged. They really add to beauty of the tank and I really hope that I do not lose any of them.

Live Aquaria gave me credit on all the losses and I appreciate it but I think I may only get live fish from my lfs from now on. I feel awful losing animals like that.

Unread 03/15/2020, 06:13 PM   #40
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That's good to hear. I look forward to seeing them!

I reached the same conclusion with LA. You're right, it's an awful feeling.

Unread 03/16/2020, 11:54 AM   #41
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
That's good to hear. I look forward to seeing them!

I reached the same conclusion with LA. You're right, it's an awful feeling.
I will post a video soon of the tank with the new fish.

I did a survey for Live Aquaria and told them that they get good ratings on customer service, promptness in delivery and response to losses but I gave them a poor rating on the quality of the fish. Having worked in a lfs I know shipping losses happen but 4 of 9 is too high for me. I said I would order inverts, coral and dry goods but no more live fish for me. I just thought they should know.

O yeah, this morning the yellow watchman began to eat so all the new fish are eating which is usually the turning point for a positive outcome.

Unread 03/16/2020, 12:09 PM   #42
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I look forward to another great vid!

Good idea on the survey. They need to hear that.

A few months ago, they were the best option, with descent prices, $99 free shipping, and credit for losses to credit cards. Now their prices have skyrocketed, free shipping at $149, and store credit only. Big dif!

I will probably try another on line vender or two in the future for multi-fish orders, but single fish buys will go to my LFS.

Unread 03/17/2020, 04:34 PM   #43
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Great job on the video and tank!!

Liveaquaria has definitely decreased in quality and increased in price. I've heard that Petco recently bought them and their policies are changing? It makes sense to me, considering Petco's livestock health...

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2020, 05:13 PM   #44
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I look forward to another great vid!

Good idea on the survey. They need to hear that.

A few months ago, they were the best option, with descent prices, $99 free shipping, and credit for losses to credit cards. Now their prices have skyrocketed, free shipping at $149, and store credit only. Big dif!

I will probably try another on line vender or two in the future for multi-fish orders, but single fish buys will go to my LFS.
Be sure to share Michael when you try another online vendor.

Unread 03/17/2020, 05:15 PM   #45
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurple12 View Post
Great job on the video and tank!!

Liveaquaria has definitely decreased in quality and increased in price. I've heard that Petco recently bought them and their policies are changing? It makes sense to me, considering Petco's livestock health...
I have been hearing similar stories. It's a shame because I had good luck a couple years ago with Live Aquaria.

Unread 03/17/2020, 05:18 PM   #46
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

For sure Dawn, I will! I have a few I'm considering.

Unread 03/22/2020, 02:30 PM   #47
vlangel
Registered Member

The 5 fish that survived the first week seem to all be adjusting well. Well enough that I am ready to name them. The clownfish is Ozzy, the firefish is Flame, the Royal Gramma is Big Mouth, the Carpenter wrasse is Plank and the Yellow Watchman goby is Guardian. With Barney & Betty (the barnacle blennies), Jet & Piper (the citron gobies,) Jammies & PJ (the cardinals), Linus and Marmalade (the combtooth blennies) and Sir Lancelot the venomous blenny that makes 14 fish in the display. I would love to buy 2 more yellow tail damsels from my lfs but the tank is pretty active now and that may be pushing it. Everyone seems to be getting along well and that is a feat with that many fish in that volume of water even if some of them are small. There are 4 shrimp, a hermit and nassarius snails too who all need their own space as well. So I will probably leave things as they are in the spirit of not messing up a good thing.

The 30 gallon fuge is really flourishing. The macro algae established almost immediately. Its primarily feather caulerpa right now but there is some red grape and red titan too.

Last edited by vlangel; 03/22/2020 at 02:35 PM.
Unread 03/22/2020, 03:53 PM   #48
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I agree, wait on the damsels. Good to hear on the fuge! Still planning to add seagrass? Fun fish names!

How is the overall system doing? Are you noticing any differences? Are you enjoying the fuge?

Unread 03/23/2020, 11:21 AM   #49
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I agree, wait on the damsels. Good to hear on the fuge! Still planning to add seagrass? Fun fish names!

How is the overall system doing? Are you noticing any differences? Are you enjoying the fuge?
Yes, I would still like to put seagrass in the 30 gallon fuge. The reason I have not moved on that is because Samson still resides in that tank. For the seagrass to get established I think I would need to do a large export of the caulerpa which is undoubtedly helping with nutrient removal. If nutrients and DOC get too high Samson will be vulnerable to getting sick and he is already in a tank that is not ideally suited to the needs of a Seahorse. Also the caulerpa provides nice soft hitches for him. I can wait on the grasses until I do not have Samson anymore.

Over all the system is working better than I could imagine. I have a little slimy algae (maybe dinos) in the 30 gallon fuge but not much. Hopefully the caulerpa will outcompete it. It seems to be.

The multiple overflows are working perfectly. To feed the fish I turn the main pump on 'feed mode' 2Xs a day and everything starts up perfectly every time so I am getting confident that my DIY overflow is as dependable as the overflow box on the display tank.

It is so great to not have to carry any water up the stairs and just do the water change right there next to the basement sump tanks. I am still learning what the right amount of WC per week is right for this system. I need to watch nitrates and phosphorus to learn that, plus watch how the coral and macro algae respond.

Unread 03/23/2020, 11:46 AM   #50
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That sounds great. It all seems to be coming together nicely. Hopefully you're not getting dinos. But if you do, it's fixable. Pods, snails and mollies can help. UV too.