Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/05/2018, 12:14 PM   #1
JenkinsThePole
Registered Member

First Sump Build Baffles/Equipment/Material

Now that I have modified my stand and have everything ready I can start building my sump. Its a 20L aqueon tank. My plan is to have about my first baffle 9 inches from the right of the tank and have it set for a depth of 9in.
The first baffle would be over and then one inch away another 9in one would be under with an inch gap between the next one which would be an over and would be 7 in. Then about 7in away from the other side of the tank I'll put another baffle that is 7in the create a refugium that is about 10in give or take an inch. Its a sump for my 40 breeder and doing some crude math, during a power outage it should hold about 6.5g of water which I think is plenty.

So it'll go
Eshopps PF-800 overflow ---> Filter sock (maybe, still debating) ---> Bubble Magus Curve 5 skimmer --->9in over baffle ---> 9in under ---> 7in over ---> Refugium (macro algae, marine pure, rubble)---> 7in over ---> Jebao DCP-5000 (running at about 300 gph) and an ATO sensor ---> Tank

My measurements for the pieces are 11.75x9 and 11.75x7. I think 11.75 would work because I made a baffle out of sturdy cardboard at that and it was a nice tight fit but I don't know if it should be tight or a little loose and then the silicone would pick up the slack.

I can get either glass or lexan both at $4 a baffle at 1/8 in. But i'm looking around other places the cheapest I can find so far is $50 at 1/4in.

I plan on hard plumbing the overflow and using a clear tube for the return if that's relevant.

Any input on the design would be great.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-4240.jpg (57.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-4242.jpg (68.9 KB, 26 views)
JenkinsThePole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2018, 12:29 PM   #2
JenkinsThePole
Registered Member

Also, how should I tell them to cut the glass? Do they need anything special done or do they just need cut.

Unread 03/05/2018, 01:20 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I will always recommend against single strength (1/8" glass.. its actually thinner than 1/8" too).. It "can" work but its very fragile and even filling the tank you should do it so that you are putting in an even amount of water on each side to keep pressures equal..

In general you also always want 1/8" gap on each side..
So if the inside dimension of the tank is 12" you want the glass 11.75"

Just regular score/cut is fine but realize that the edge WILL be sharp and you might want to have them bevel the top edge or take some sandpaper (silica carbide type) to it..
Or get some grommet edging to snap on it.. (car parts store door edging strips)

Unread 03/06/2018, 08:03 PM   #4
JenkinsThePole
Registered Member

Alright I found a place that can cut glass for $7.50 a sheet at 1/4 inch so that problem is solved. Thanks for the reply! If anyone has any advice for the layout that'd be awesome.

Unread 03/07/2018, 06:02 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Yep.. always call around for glass..
I've had one place say $60 and another $4 for the same piece..

Unread 03/07/2018, 06:06 AM   #6
KTwo
Registered Member

Not that I have any experience building a sump - hell, I don't even have a tank yet. But my only thought is that in the reading I've done there seems to be a preference for the under-over-under baffle arrangement vice the over-under-over. I think it has to with the ability to reach under any of the 'under' baffles if needed (retrieve stuff). With the under baffle in the middle you may need some sort of a pickup device if anything ever gets between the two 'baffles'.

Make sense?

-K2

Unread 03/07/2018, 01:14 PM   #7
JenkinsThePole
Registered Member

Yep that does make sense I've decided to do O-U-O because it would allow me options later if I decide to go the route of say some type of substrate. If it was U-O-U it would kick up the substrate. I also picked up some silicone today (GE 1 for windows and doors) I think that should do fine it's not like it has to withstand too much pressure.

Tags
20l, baffle, diy, sump