Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/28/2010, 07:39 PM   #1
sterling18
WMAS and HVReef Member

Cryptocaryon irritans aka Ich Question

I haven't had to deal with this in years.

So, I found out my two little clowns have ICH.

They are in a small QT tank with some live rock and macro. I'm thinking about doing a hyposalinty treatment as I've done in the past. Very slowly drop the SG to 1.009 in the next 48 hours. I'm sure the macro will have no issues. I'll feed with garlic soaked flakes and pellets.

I'll either leave the lr and macro in the qt thank for 4 to 6 weeks or just chuck the macro and dry out the little bit of lr. I can re-cure them in a bucket in the future.

I'll also do water changes to try and get the free floaters out too.

My questions is, is there anything i'm missing?

I'm sure this was cause when I changed the temp in the heater from 79 to 77.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

sterling18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Ryno368
Registered Member

if you have not added any new additions as in fish or even inverts or corals then you most likely have had ich in your tank for a while.

the reason you have not seen any is that your fish were healthy and unstressed, but maybe dropping the temp made them stress and lowered their immune system to allow the ich to attach to the fish

just my 2 cents

also if the clowns showed signs of ich in the DT then you will most certainly have ich in there if any other fish were in there with the clowns. best thing would be to QT all the fish and leave the DT fallow for 6-8 weeks while doing hypo in the QT

Ryno368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2010, 08:56 PM   #3
sterling18
WMAS and HVReef Member

I'm in the processes of putting together my display tank. My first two fish went into the QT. I got some live rock and live water from the breeder I got my clowns from.

My QT was cycled and is running a whisper intank filter.

The ich must have come in from either the LR, LW or some of the macro i bought.

There are no other fishes or any other live stock.

Unread 04/28/2010, 10:17 PM   #4
Ryno368
Registered Member

oh you should be good then but hypo is a daunting task if you were not aware lol. just make sure you do not cross contaminate from tank to tank and it should take 6-8 weeks total to be rid of the crypto.

i would also suggest dosing rid ich or ich attach or paraguard during the hypo treatment in case it is marine velvet

Ryno368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2010, 10:50 PM   #5
sterling18
WMAS and HVReef Member

That's for the support. I think I'll hold off dosing until I can confirm it's more then just ich.

Unread 04/29/2010, 04:00 AM   #6
RBU1
Moving on Up

Yes please hold off on dosing.....Because those things dont work anyway.

You are on the right track if you want to go with the Hypo. I would not even mess with the temperature. Just make sure you keep a good eye on ammonia. You might get some die off from things living in the rock when you go hypo.

The key is to leave your main tank fishless for at least 10 weeks I prefer 12....

Also make sure your hypo level is correct and constant always maintain 1.008-1.009 and always monitor your PH. Have plenty of makeup water already at 1.008 ready to go....

Good Luck...and by the way I prefer Cuprmaine over Hypo its a lot easier....

RBU1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2010, 09:26 AM   #7
sterling18
WMAS and HVReef Member

RBU1

Great thanks. I haven't done this in a long time.