Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/02/2019, 11:29 AM   #1
simonfrost681
Registered Member

PH should I go from 7.8 to 8.2?

Hello all,
All is well in my tank at the moment. All fish are healthy and doing well. 2 manderines died before, my only 2 losses. I now have one that is doing well. I also have kryptonite candy canes, pods, chaeto , clown, tang, ECT ECT. My question is I get my water from LFS I recently got a ro/di I will hook up soon. My PH is 7.8,,,,,,,I read that it should be 8.2. I bought "proper PH 8.2" by API .....it should just adjust the pH to 8.2...my question is should I use it???? Worried my star fish or candy canes or manderines or everything will die.....also if I get my water at LFS why isn't it 8.2? I just don't want to read a number off internet make a change and then everything die, when everything is fine now......I also want the optimal environment....so?? To use "proper PH 8.2...or not?
Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

simonfrost681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2019, 06:11 AM   #2
alton
Registered Member

If it is working don't change it

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2019, 06:33 AM   #3
OrionN
Moved on

Agree with Alton. Also pH probe is notoriously inaccurate. They need to be re.calibrate all the time.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2019, 08:19 AM   #4
nereefpat
Registered Member

pH "buffers" only raise alkalinity. Any effect on pH from using them will be temporary.

pH is lower than 8.2 because CO2 in our homes is high.

Also, your fish don't care.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2019, 08:32 AM   #5
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

I have been keeping tanks for the past 20 years and I have checked ph less than a handful of times

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2019, 01:23 PM   #6
simonfrost681
Registered Member

Thank u all. I went ahead and added 6 table spoons into 32 gallons thru a 10 gallon water change. Nothing died , everything seems fine , been about 24 hours.....only change I saw is sand sifting star fish acted like they did when I first put them in tank. But they live. Tank looks really healthy, same. I did not do another PH check yet , I will today at around 7,,,,maybe or soon. Have manderines coming in and I want the water the way I am going to have it for the Long haul before I put them in. Trying to get environment perfect for kryptonite candy canes, manderines, and pods. I guess aimed towards the kryptonite and everything else should be good.
Aiming for 79 temp, .025 sal, 8.2, as much calcium as is not dangerous I think around 400ish plus..... Hopefully the LEDs standard on the biocube32 are good, they seem good enough but I just got these candy canes a few days ago so we will see. I may add something if it will go under the hood for the canes if it REALLY proven works or is needed. Rather not. Spent a fortune already, and I like the timer , all ready have another light for fuge or second chamber. ...
Thanks guys, I love this tank, I have not lost track of time like this for a while. Pods and manderines next.....

Unread 12/04/2019, 06:42 AM   #7
OrionN
Moved on

I know that this is unasked for but I see that you have a Scooter Dragonet in this small tank already. I would advise against adding another Dragonet. Even consider removal of your Scooter Dragonet because it is unlikely that this tank will able to sustain one Dragonet, much less two.
The blue tang will also outgrow this tank rather quickly, should not be a long term resident of this tank.
Remove 2 clowns. Keep a pair instead of 4 of them.

Best of luck to you.

BTW, I keep reef aquarium for 30+ years and never check tank pH. I got a pH probe in my Ca reactor but not the tank.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 12/04/2019, 07:24 AM   #8
simonfrost681
Registered Member

Your absolutely right, bigger tank in the the plans, lots of pods, and daily feeding in morning with daily 5 gallon water change. I actually have 6 clowns, 1 tang, one scooter, 3 manderines, algeage belanny, diamond goby,

Unread 12/04/2019, 07:32 AM   #9
simonfrost681
Registered Member

Pushing the limits, but all fish get along, 6 clowns are paired, lots of live rock and caves, tons of podsand rotifers, and I test water every other day. All is good with a lot of maintenance(water test and change. The tang will be a definite problem as he eats as he shits chateo, eatas everything. He will needed to a smaller one within a year or 2. And maybe lose 2 clowns. Everything else works well....with daily 5 gallon changes.

Unread 12/04/2019, 07:37 AM   #10
simonfrost681
Registered Member

3 more manderines on the way
You don't know how far u can go until u try.
Deep sand bed , cheato , fuge, pods galore, every snail and crab, and another kind that go under the live rock.....hope my eco system holds without catastrophic death all in a day. I am watching chemistry daily, and aggression is actually almost none existant , the clowns will change likely and 2 will go, I will trade tang for a smaller one also. Hopefully all else will stay.

Unread 12/04/2019, 08:29 AM   #11
OrionN
Moved on

Simon,
Your tank will not do well. You should stock to your tank, not a future tank. Temperament of a fish, especially female clowns will increase greatly as they mature, or changing.
There is no way you can add enough pods for 4 mandarin in a 32 gal tank.
Please update this thread as time go on. Maybe I will eat my words. Two male mandarin will not coexist in a 32 gal tank. Larger female mandarin will also attack smaller male mandarin.
Interaction between mandarins are my first hand personal experiences. So are my Ocellaris and Percula clowns experiences. I used to breed clowns.

Unread 12/18/2019, 07:22 PM   #12
simonfrost681
Registered Member

You were right. Manderines went gangster. It took many tries and sacraficed. Finally have to medium to large manderines that get along great. 2 davincis, one tang, one starry belleny, many copepods and ampods. So 2clw 2man 1Tang 1 starry. All is well. Will be adding, on sandsifter starfish, one blue linkia starfish, 3-5 porcelain spotted crabs. After that will be a few months of switching salt from regular ocean to oceans reef crystals and getting what's needed to test all parameters for corals. Then it's candycane city. The only coral will be kryptonite candy cane. I have tried them before but they died. I believe because I didn t preheat my water when water changing. Candy Cane will be my next phase starting in a few months.
Those manderines have the kiss of death interesting, sucks but it was like the nature channel.
Anyway,
You were right. Live and learn

Unread 12/18/2019, 07:38 PM   #13
simonfrost681
Registered Member

On another note, I have tried about 4 different suppliers for pods and trying to get them to propogate. I finally found one that is unreal. Either that or all four kicked in at once. But I have different kind of pods and I think shrimp everywhere. If you look at the sand with a magnifying glass they are like ants everywhere, literally everywhere, red, white, shrimp like. I'm so impressed I know they are going to propogate if they are not already. I watch them all the time with and without a magnifying glass. I'm not sure if I found the right kind or if everything just took off one day. I am seriously considering getting another chaeto light for my small tank I don't use and grow cheato and these pods. They are ... There is either more or they are propogateing more then any other time I have bought pods. I am scared though of getting "crabs" , I wash the heck out of my arms now after being in tank. I will try and make a magnifying video of these pods, they took off unlike when I bought pods before. Literally everywhere, rocks, glass, all Chambers, if the manderines would tolerate each other they would be enough for alot. Not sure why these took off like no other order of pods.

Unread 12/18/2019, 07:56 PM   #14
simonfrost681
Registered Member

Also FYI
I don't recommend this and it almost gave me a heart attack when I got back home, but your fish can survive 93 degrees. I did a 10 gallon water change more then usual because I was clean the fuge, any way the temp dropped more then usual so trying to do the right thing I threw in an extra heater at 93. What I forgot was I also turned up the chamber heater to 93. Was going to watch and then take out in an hour or at 77 or 78. My usual temp is 79. Anyway got a call and had to go, so I took out the extra heater and left ,,,forgetting I had set the main heater at 93 also. Came back 9 hours later and saw my gauge and almost fainted. Everything lived. ...anyway just some experience to pass on. That was a few days ago and they are all fine. Maybe that's when the pods population took off. Hmmm

Unread 12/18/2019, 08:48 PM   #15
simonfrost681
Registered Member

These are the red ones, there is also white ones, not sure which type they are.

https://youtu.be/tZsyI1A7Ecw

Unread 12/18/2019, 09:13 PM   #16
simonfrost681
Registered Member

Sincerely hoping this is a good sign... It's Alot!

https://youtu.be/VM7YQ-uF3pA