Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/12/2016, 02:36 PM   #7701
SantaMonica
Registered Member

The flow will even-out after growth starts.

First growth in SW is always brown; in FW it's usually green.

Unread 02/12/2016, 03:21 PM   #7702
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheron View Post
What am I doing wrong here? Or will this adjust over time?
Yours is like mine.

Cut a hair to wide.

It takes practice to get the perfect flow, as Floyd points out in his tutorials.

They do adjust a little with time, but I would say minor at first, and then more with growth as santamonica states. mine after 2 weeks is still identical and I'm getting uneven growth because I'm to lazy to cut another one.

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2016, 04:00 PM   #7703
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheron View Post
Ok just got mine up and running (without lights) and have some pics. Also need feedback on my flow issue (last pic and video).

First, I used a table saw to cut my slot. Really simple albeit a bit dangerous so really was careful and took my time. Removed the protector plate and slowly lowered the 1" pipe down onto the blade. Using the guide it seemed to cut a perfectly straight hole. Except...at the ends of the cut its not clean from the round blade. I cleaned them up with a small hand saw:

If you can add it, I would add a ball valve. My set up is similar to yours and runs off the return pump. With the ball valve I can shut down flow for cleaning or other maintenance, and do not have to worry about dialing the flow back in with the gate valve. The ball valve is like an on/off switch and the flow never varies.

Next roughed up the screen with a hole saw/bit things as recommended. Spent about 10 mins in total, seemed very easy. Couldnt get a close up pic but I think its good

Attached it using zip ties. I know there's other ways but this works for now.

Here's the ATS assembled. Tee-ing it off my main pump using a gate valve and union. Should get about 180GPH if needed.

So fired it up, opened the valve and water started flowing, but not as evenly as I hoped:

It seems like right at where the zip ties connect to the screen it blocks the flow. What am I doing wrong here? Or will this adjust over time?

Here's a 10 second video showing the problem. Also does this seem like too little flow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B9Tykfdz8E

thoughts? feedback?

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2016, 12:58 PM   #7704
wildwilly1
Registered Member

how about these leds

I have my waterfall scruber built need some lights screen is 12 inches wide and 10 inches tall would these lights work

http://www.amazon.com/GLW-Hydroponic...led+grow+light

wildwilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2016, 01:08 PM   #7705
SantaMonica
Registered Member

12 x 10 = 120 sq inches = 120 total real CFL watts both sides max = 60 total LED watts both sides max.

Since those lights say 50w and are probably only 30 real watts, they should be good for one on each side. Smaller lights would probably work too if your nutrients are not too high or the tank is new.

Unread 02/14/2016, 01:19 PM   #7706
wildwilly1
Registered Member

yeah I figured either the 30 or 50 watt .the 50 watt is a little bigger light 12x9.5 so should cover screen pretty good thx

Unread 02/14/2016, 01:19 PM   #7707
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
12 x 10 = 120 sq inches = 120 total real CFL watts both sides max = 60 total LED watts both sides max.

Since those lights say 50w and are probably only 30 real watts, they should be good for one on each side. Smaller lights would probably work too if your nutrients are not too high or the tank is new.
How far from the screen and how many hours a day for those lights. I have 2 20 watt, 1 on each side of my 7 wide 8 long screen. This light:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

I replaced 2 26 watt CFL's that ran 18 hours/day. The LED's are 9 hours and 5 inches from screen
I am seeing no growth. They have been in use for 7 days.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2016, 01:50 PM   #7708
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
How far from the screen and how many hours a day for those lights. I have 2 20 watt, 1 on each side of my 7 wide 8 long screen. This light:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

I replaced 2 26 watt CFL's that ran 18 hours/day. The LED's are 9 hours and 5 inches from screen
I am seeing no growth. They have been in use for 7 days.

While those lights are 13w roughly speaking each, your screen size is small and some are getting great growth off the 10W versions.

Lighting cycle under 12 hours is recommended for the beginning, and more flow the better.

After 2 weeks I have great growth, but none in low flow areas

Unread 02/14/2016, 01:52 PM   #7709
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwilly1 View Post
I have my waterfall scruber built need some lights screen is 12 inches wide and 10 inches tall would these lights work

http://www.amazon.com/GLW-Hydroponic...led+grow+light

I'm running a 30W version of that exact light and my screen size is similar as yours.

I'm getting great growth over the whole screen.

Unread 02/14/2016, 01:55 PM   #7710
karimwassef
Registered Member

For a variety of reasons, I'm considering an experiment with Miracle Grow. I assume the ATS will be just as capable in removing excess organics due to MG as cubes of frozen food. Right?

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2016, 02:36 PM   #7711
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
For a variety of reasons, I'm considering an experiment with Miracle Grow. I assume the ATS will be just as capable in removing excess organics due to MG as cubes of frozen food. Right?
its not wise.

You have everything to lose, and no real "new" knowledge to gain

Unread 02/14/2016, 02:43 PM   #7712
karimwassef
Registered Member

Ok

I personally believe that growth comes from challenging assumptions and conclusions considered standard. Where would we be if Einstein just agreed with Newton?

What old knowledge would you share?

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
Unread 02/14/2016, 02:48 PM   #7713
jrp1588
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok

I personally believe that growth comes from challenging assumptions and conclusions considered standard. Where would we be if Einstein just agreed with Newton?

Not sure I get the why behind what you're considering. Care to elaborate?

jrp1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2016, 02:50 PM   #7714
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Ok

Don't fix what is not broken.

You feed plenty no need to experiment here.

Add more iron if you want to take an agrarian approach to harvest more algae.

Unread 02/14/2016, 02:58 PM   #7715
karimwassef
Registered Member

It's a long story... I struggled with dinos a couple of years back when I was pushing my nutrients into starvation mode to get rid of GHA. They managed to almost kill my chaeto and the GFO was actually fueling their dominance over other more 'normal' algae. I cleaned it up, but I participate in a thread that focuses on their eradication. Those with ATS that are afflicted have shared that their ATS started to die too when dinos took over. Usually driven by use of chemicals... Lots of mechanisms at play, but the current theory is that pushing nutrients below natural levels to accelerate the removal of algae can create a zone where only dinos survive, and once they're in, they make the environment difficult for even GHA to return. Still - a theory - but getting broader adoption.

The solution, for some, has been to go dirty - overfeed to bring "normal" algae back to compete with the dinos and re-"terraform" (there's got to be a better word - mariform?)the chemical environment back to normal. We're also adding phyto as natural biological competition. And I'm advocating adding an ATS to create a balanced foundation.

Well- if you're on a different planet and you need to make it hospitable to algae, what do you do? You can add food and wait for it to turn into organic Nitrogen... OR... you add fertilizer...

Unread 02/14/2016, 03:02 PM   #7716
jrp1588
Registered Member

Ugh, dinos. Been there, done that several times. Is there anything in miracle grow besides nitrate and phosphate?

Unread 02/14/2016, 03:10 PM   #7717
karimwassef
Registered Member

Are there phosphates? I thought it was just nitrates to supplement the need for nitrogen fixing bacteria.

Unread 02/14/2016, 03:10 PM   #7718
karimwassef
Registered Member

But back to ATS... This shouldn't hurt or overwhelm an ATS, in theory - right?

Unread 02/14/2016, 03:12 PM   #7719
jrp1588
Registered Member

Quote:
Are there phosphates? I thought it was just nitrates to supplement the need for nitrogen fixing bacteria.
I have no idea actually. I can't find much info from my quick Google search.

Unread 02/14/2016, 06:14 PM   #7720
salty joe
Registered Member

There's copper in Miracle Grow.

Why not overfeed? Seems a whole lot safer and it can't take that long. Or if you can't wait for a little bit, get the specific forms of nitrogen and phosphate.

Unread 02/14/2016, 06:17 PM   #7721
wildwilly1
Registered Member

I have those same lights hkgar I like them but they are just so small worried they are too small and not powerful enough the reds are only like 530-550 nm I think you need 660 nm if I remember. just worried that maybe the new 50watts I ordered are too strong but I guess I can always increase the flow or move back from screen a little

Unread 02/14/2016, 06:27 PM   #7722
karimwassef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty joe View Post
There's copper in Miracle Grow.

Why not overfeed? Seems a whole lot safer and it can't take that long. Or if you can't wait for a little bit, get the specific forms of nitrogen and phosphate.
 photo 0_zpsbx53vwty.png

http://agr.wa.gov/PestFert/Fertilize...spx?pname=2101
http://oda.state.or.us/dbs/heavy_met...roduct_id=6023

what's the safe Cu ppb level?

Unread 02/14/2016, 07:06 PM   #7723
outy
Moved On

Quote:

what's the safe cu ppb level?

Unread 02/14/2016, 07:55 PM   #7724
karimwassef
Registered Member

then noone is safe... LOL

there's no such thing as 0 in nature. there's always some parts per billion, unless you're in a clean room, and even then...

Unread 02/14/2016, 10:43 PM   #7725
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Quote:
How far from the screen and how many hours a day for those lights. I have 2 20 watt, 1 on each side of my 7 wide 8 long screen.
Pics are needed for this.

Quote:
I assume the ATS will be just as capable in removing excess organics due to MG as cubes of frozen food.
Scrubbers/algae do not absorb organics at all. Only inorganics.

Quote:
Those with ATS that are afflicted have shared that their ATS started to die too when dinos took over.
Something is wrong there. Some chemical (copper, etc) killed the scrubber, and thus without the scrubber to absorb nutrients, the dino's grew. If a scrubber is working at all, dino's and diatoms are the first to go (sand clears up, etc.)

Quote:
Why not overfeed?
That's the best.