Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/17/2016, 09:29 PM   #26
LiquidAquariums
Registered Member

Magnesium Level is 1350

LiquidAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2016, 08:54 AM   #27
LiquidAquariums
Registered Member

I was kind of hoping Mag was going to be low so that I had something to adjust and hopefully fix the problem, but all levels are within proper ranges.

However I will try the API Algaefix and post results

Unread 02/18/2016, 09:14 AM   #28
A1t2o
Moved On

I had this in my tank for a while. It wasn't as bad but I just assumed it was a different type of algae, and referred to it as a mat algae. I added more hermits and snails, got my parameters in line, and started cleaning my ATS much more often. As the GHA went away, the mat algae went away too. I saw the hermits picking at it too.

Treat it like GHA and establish a nutrient export system. You probably don't see phosphate or nitrate because it is stored in the 'mat' algae. The Algaefix may kill it off but it would still be feeding off of something so I would try to address that issue too.

A1t2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2016, 09:19 AM   #29
Flippers4pups
Home made abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAquariums View Post
How long did it take to clear up?
I dosed the recommended amount for three days. I did manually remove as much as I could by syphoning and using a brush, blowing off the rocks to speed the process. Did this only at first. Also using a filter sock and GAC in a reactor. I also run a UV on my system. Did not effect skimming. I've been dosing once a week as preventive to keep it from coming back. So far after two weeks, rocks are clean.

I believe this to be a strain of marine fungus.

Last edited by Flippers4pups; 02/18/2016 at 09:24 AM.
Flippers4pups is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2016, 09:48 AM   #30
LiquidAquariums
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1t2o View Post
I had this in my tank for a while. It wasn't as bad but I just assumed it was a different type of algae, and referred to it as a mat algae. I added more hermits and snails, got my parameters in line, and started cleaning my ATS much more often. As the GHA went away, the mat algae went away too. I saw the hermits picking at it too.

Treat it like GHA and establish a nutrient export system. You probably don't see phosphate or nitrate because it is stored in the 'mat' algae. The Algaefix may kill it off but it would still be feeding off of something so I would try to address that issue too.
The odd thing about this tank's cycle process is that there never was any GHA. That puzzled me, again, another first after several larger tanks I've set up in the past few years that were covered with it.

Unread 02/18/2016, 09:49 AM   #31
LiquidAquariums
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippers4pups View Post
I dosed the recommended amount for three days. I did manually remove as much as I could by syphoning and using a brush, blowing off the rocks to speed the process. Did this only at first. Also using a filter sock and GAC in a reactor. I also run a UV on my system. Did not effect skimming. I've been dosing once a week as preventive to keep it from coming back. So far after two weeks, rocks are clean.

I believe this to be a strain of marine fungus.
Thanks for the tips. I will try to scrub and siphon this weekend and post a photo.

Did you ever have an issue with cloudiness?

Unread 02/18/2016, 10:51 AM   #32
Flippers4pups
Home made abyss

This tank has had water column blooms off and on since I started the tank back in June 2015. White cloudiness and green water would come and go. Back in December I gave in and got the UV. Took sometime to time to clear up, around a week, but has been crystal clear since.

Funny that this is the first tank since I started the hobby back in the early nineties that has had these issues. Go figure.

Flippers4pups is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bloom, brown algae, saltwater, what is this