Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/13/2009, 07:09 PM   #51
cutnup
Registered Member

Okay so I had a little set back. I lent my caulk gun to my friend, for a non-reef related project. I got it back 2 weeks ago and I was about to silicone my frag rack in my tank and I picked up my caulk gun and there was a different product in it. It was DAP doors and windows I, I was pretty sure I didn't use it before, when I did my sump, but not 100%. So I cut all the old stuff out and re-did my sump. I also now have the tank setup. Not 100% sure if I like the aquascaping. I can tell you one thing though, these T5's are strong! I had to move some Cap's down because it was bleaching and also a couple of acro frags on the frag shelf I added accross my C2C overflow. They are doing better now, I moved them down....Ok I will stop blabbing here's the pics.

cutnup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2009, 07:29 PM   #52
4jlong
Registered Member

dude, your tank looks awesome!!! I wanted to ask you, on the pipe that empties into your refugium, it looks like theres some kind of cap on it? what is that? Thanks.

4jlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2009, 08:13 PM   #53
cutnup
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 4jlong
dude, your tank looks awesome!!! I wanted to ask you, on the pipe that empties into your refugium, it looks like theres some kind of cap on it? what is that? Thanks.
Thanks!! That "cap" is just a 45.

On a side note. Do you guys use sand in your refugium? What are the pros and cons. Also if I do decide to use sand in it I have about 100 # of sand in my 46 gal bowfront that is just sitting there could I use it? And if I did use it should I just add a cup or 2 a week? Or just dump what I need in there. Also how deep should I have the sand bed in the refugium if I decide to go that way?

Unread 02/14/2009, 03:25 AM   #54
somedude
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cutnup
Thanks!! That "cap" is just a 45.

On a side note. Do you guys use sand in your refugium? What are the pros and cons. Also if I do decide to use sand in it I have about 100 # of sand in my 46 gal bowfront that is just sitting there could I use it? And if I did use it should I just add a cup or 2 a week? Or just dump what I need in there. Also how deep should I have the sand bed in the refugium if I decide to go that way?
in my opinion you should definitely use sand in your fuge. if you do it right, it should create an anaerobic space on the bottom that acts as a natural nitrate reducer. i have a DSB in my fuge, 6" to be exact. with some rubble and chaeto and graci for the pods. it works so well that i only use a nano skimmer on my 95G SPS tank. not saying this is the only way...it just works for me.

oh and btw, your tank is awesome. i went krylon crazy on my tank also. it makes everything looks sharp. nice work.

~alex

somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2009, 05:35 AM   #55
aznboichandoi
Moved On

hey man, your two side trimmings, is that two pieces put in together or it's one piece? it's looks perfect man. you know which one i'm talking about right?

aznboichandoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2009, 04:44 PM   #56
cutnup
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aznboichandoi
hey man, your two side trimmings, is that two pieces put in together or it's one piece? it's looks perfect man. you know which one i'm talking about right?
Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner...
I took a piece of molding and 45'd it longways. I then tacked it to the stand with small brad nails and wood glue and when it dried I sanded the joint to make it round.

Unread 02/25/2009, 10:43 PM   #57
cutnup
Registered Member

Ok a little update...

I made some plugs for the tank. I used a gang box and wired them up.

I put a little LR and some Chaeto in the 'fuge. I will also be putting a 6" sand bed in there. I also installed a light which is a 7.99 CF bulb.

Here is a FSS (full sump shot) LOL I really need to clean that skimmer huh?

Unread 02/26/2009, 02:53 AM   #58
4jlong
Registered Member

looks good man.

4jlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2009, 09:25 AM   #59
runningnreefing
Registered Member

Quote:
[/B]
Nice build thread. What light fixture are you using, and what is the bulb combo.

runningnreefing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2009, 05:04 PM   #60
cutnup
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by runningnreefing
Nice build thread. What light fixture are you using, and what is the bulb combo.
Thanks!! The light fixture is the 8 bulb tek light. The bulbs are as follows
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Aquasun
Blue Plus
Aquasun
Super Actinic
Aquablue
Blue Plus

Unread 02/28/2009, 11:44 AM   #61
runningnreefing
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks!! The light fixture is the 8 bulb tek light. The bulbs are as follows
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Aquasun
Blue Plus
Aquasun
Super Actinic
Aquablue
Blue Plus
Thanks for the info. I am thinking of doing something very similar. I love the look of your tank.

runningnreefing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2009, 09:16 PM   #62
cutnup
Registered Member

Thanks man! It was a lot of work but it is finally paying off. I am dealing with a little red slime right now.

Unread 04/29/2009, 05:38 PM   #63
cutnup
Registered Member

Ok the long awaited update...
Sorry I couldn't take pictures that really displayed the rock work well. It looks much better in person.

and some random pics. (I think i am finally learning this stupid camera)

/fishtank079.jpg[/IMG]

Unread 04/29/2009, 05:39 PM   #64
cutnup
Registered Member

Unread 04/29/2009, 06:12 PM   #65
~sp0ok~
Registered Member

nice job on that tank

Current Tank Info: in the works
~sp0ok~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2009, 09:47 PM   #66
luvreefs23
Registered Member

you should try swapping an actinic bulb out for a kz fiji purple. I did on my system and wow what a nice color it adds. just thought, tank looks nice

luvreefs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2009, 10:42 PM   #67
cutnup
Registered Member

I was tols the same thing a while back. I just looked them up. Why are they so expensive? It's bad enough when I have to replace all the bulbs it would cost me about 160 plus shipping.

Unread 04/30/2009, 12:10 AM   #68
exoticaquatix
Registered Member.

great build so far! cant wait to see it with some life in it!

to help with the pump noise, put a neoprene mouse pad on some thin closed cell foam under it, that should deaden the vibrations. unfortunately those big pumps are kind of noisy in my opinion. i couldn't stand my big gen-x in my quiet living room. it was outside the stand for a while and i had to unplug it when watching movies or the neighbor complained i had the surround sound up too loud.

I ran my 75 bare bottom for about 9 months without SB which was a little scary when doing any serious work in the tank. one shift in the liverock could have cost me my damage deposit!! i ended up adding sand over time which really brightened up the tank and actually made my pH more stable. I currently have a shallow sand bed in my 120 and really prefer it. harder to keep detritus low but worth it because i really like the big tonga nassarius snails.

anyway, keep up the good work!

-nick

Current Tank Info: 120gal 500w MH 10K XMs 30g sump, MSX-200 skimmer, vortech MP40w and Tunze nanostreams; 9 gal, 29gal FW planted tanks
exoticaquatix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2009, 12:15 AM   #69
exoticaquatix
Registered Member.

ok, so im losing my mind. somehow i either missed an entire page or i just lost 2 weeks of my life.i hope i missed the page.

moving on......Tank looks great! i have to admit, i still do like the bare bottom look. i also think the re-aquascape is a huge improvement.

-nick

Current Tank Info: 120gal 500w MH 10K XMs 30g sump, MSX-200 skimmer, vortech MP40w and Tunze nanostreams; 9 gal, 29gal FW planted tanks
exoticaquatix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2009, 05:36 AM   #70
FFrankie
Registered Member

Looking good dude!

FFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2009, 10:09 PM   #71
nes999
Registered Member

id put a dsb in your fuge it makes life alot easier

nes999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2009, 11:43 PM   #72
luvreefs23
Registered Member

I think they are like 4 bux more than the other bulbs? They are a lil more pricy but worth it in my opinion.

Unread 05/02/2009, 03:24 PM   #73
cutnup
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luvreefs23
I think they are like 4 bux more than the other bulbs? They are a lil more pricy but worth it in my opinion.
Really? The place I saw they were about 10 bucks more. Where do you go?
Quote:
Originally posted by nes999
id put a dsb in your fuge it makes life alot easier
I already did. I put about 5 inches. I need to get rid of some of the extra live rock I have left because it is just sitting on the sand in the refugium, making the sandbed ineffective. Thanks for the heads up though!!

Unread 05/02/2009, 11:12 PM   #74
luvreefs23
Registered Member

Saltycritter.com I think i was off tho, they are like 5 or 6 bux more than most of the other bulbs but still worth it.

Unread 05/05/2009, 09:16 PM   #75
cutnup
Registered Member

you wouldnt happen to have a before and after shot of the tank with the kz bulb on it would ya? What color is it?
I have 2 of the aqua suns on it and am not really that pleased with the color. I would probably replace one of those with that light. Anyone else have the kz fiji purple?