Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/26/2019, 09:32 PM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

back up power for tunze stream -- batteries in series??

Hi,
Can this be done?:
Using https://www.amazon.com/12v-10Ah-SLA-.../dp/B004WENYYE
2 of them in series in order to get longer pumping time?
If so, I'm thinking I wire negative to negative. Positive to positive. then take a positive to Tunze safety connector (?) https://premiumaquatics.com/products...connector.html
Then that to the tunze stream?

Let me know if that's right please!... I'm thinking I'd get nearly 24 hrs of pumping with the pump pulsing from 0-50% power (?). which is 4watts (near 0 power) to 25 watt (50 % ) power, average about 15 watt. I might have both hooked up to it so that may bring it to average 30 watts.

TY

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2019, 01:50 AM   #2
RobbyG
Registered Member

Negative to negative and positive to positive is not a serial connection, they are in parallel and will produce 12v at 20Ah. If this is a 12v pump then at 30w you would get about 8 hours of runtime. Also charging parallel batterie can be tricky so you would need a charger that can independently monitor each battery during charging. I would instead go with a single deep cycle battery with a much higher amperage. More run time and easier to charge.

Current Tank Info: Insanely Automated Low Power Consumption 90 Gal Oceanic Bow System/Aquatronica Touch Controller/AQ Dosing Pump/AQT LEDS/AQ SMS/Seq Dart Pump/ASM G3/Ozotech Ozonizer/Koralin 1502/Chiller/Typhoon3 Ro/S.Squirt /Phos React/Rmt DSB
RobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2019, 07:09 AM   #3
blowmecius
Registered Member

A single group 27 battery should have 90 to 100 ah. A flooded battery will cost about $100 at any autoparts store or walmart. If you insist on agm expect to pay 2 to 3 times that.

They are big. They are heavy. But you can put one and a charger pretty far away, say in the garage or basement and just run a wire to your tank. 18 gage wire would be good for 5 amps 25 feet. I believe the tunze adapter has a 4a fuse.

Last edited by blowmecius; 11/29/2019 at 02:24 PM.
blowmecius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2019, 09:35 PM   #4
laverda
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowmecius View Post
A single group 27 battery should have 90 to 100 ah. A flooded battery will cost about $100 at any autoparts store or walmart. If you insist on agm expect to pay 2 to 3 times that.

They are big. They are heavy. But you can put one and a charger pretty far away, say in the garage or basement and just run a wire to your tank. 18 gage wire would be good for 5 amps 25 feet. I believe the tunze adapter has a 4a fuse.
True but that type of battery should not be charged in the house. For many people, myself included it is not practical to have it in the garage.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2019, 11:18 PM   #5
CTaylor
Registered Member

TY for all the responses. I do not have a garage. I maybe able to find a spot on my balcony to put it on. I really didnt want to get a huge battery, though, then to wire it from outisde through to the tank. I didnt want to have electrical wires etc going from outside to inside. I just have a problem with that. I might just stick with the original battery back up with a single, not in series, and accept it will be only 6-9 hrs max power. Hopefully I'll be home if power goes out longer so I can switch to my gas generator.

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote