Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/19/2014, 02:05 PM   #1
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Question Mauritius and Reunion Island

Hey guys,

Has anyone gone diving or snorkeling in Mauritius and Reunion Island?

Thinking about taking a trip there next year.

Any input would be great

Thanks,
-Peter

TankStop - Fish and Coral

470G Display - Build Thread

Current Tank Info: Retired - 470 Gallon Mixed Reef (120x29x31")
nuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2014, 03:01 PM   #2
ace_92101
Registered Member

I've dove Mauratius but not Reunion. It was an amazing trip with my dad and brother. Very good diving and culturally very interesting. I dove with the British Sub Aqua Club when I was in Africa. Many in the club made the trip, as it was a chance to get in some ocean water.

I'd definitely go back if I had the chance. You could fly Emirates one stop from Texas. I was in Africa at the time, but still it want that close.

ace_92101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2014, 03:03 PM   #3
nuxx
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_92101 View Post
I've dove Mauratius but not Reunion. It was an amazing trip with my dad and brother. Very good diving and culturally very interesting. I dove with the British Sub Aqua Club when I was in Africa. Many in the club made the trip, as it was a chance to get in some ocean water.

I'd definitely go back if I had the chance. You could fly Emirates one stop from Texas. I was in Africa at the time, but still it want that close.
Nice

I was actually both in Cape Town, was debating stopping there... but not sure...

Would like to stop in Dubai for a day to break the flying up. We'll see...

Can get flights to Reunion for $300 round trip... so sounds interesting...

TankStop - Fish and Coral

470G Display - Build Thread

Current Tank Info: Retired - 470 Gallon Mixed Reef (120x29x31")
nuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2014, 01:53 AM   #4
champacs
Registered Member

Hi I'm a scuba diver who lives in Reunion and who's twice spent a week diving in Mauritius (I've also dived in about 20 other countries).

Diving in Mauritius and Reunion is pretty similar in terms of what you see.

I always say to people don't visit Réunion just for the diving, but if you're in Reunion yes you'll enjoy the diving.

Here's a video by Reunion's Tourist Board about diving: http://travelssmart.blogspot.co.uk/2...l-tourist.html. And here's a local underwater photography website: http://www.rup.re.

champacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2014, 08:47 PM   #5
Scubaken
Registered Member

I just returned from Mauritius, I wasn't impressed by either the diving or the snorkelling, it was pretty but I wouldn't make the trip again.
Loads of Sargent Majors, lots of black tangs, lots of Picasso triggers, and tons of eels, didn't see any sharks or other big game fish, a little disappointing.

I heard the Maldives is the better stop, which is just where I will be heading next year.

Scubaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2014, 09:41 PM   #6
ace_92101
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaken View Post
I just returned from Mauritius, I wasn't impressed by either the diving or the snorkelling, it was pretty but I wouldn't make the trip again.
Loads of Sargent Majors, lots of black tangs, lots of Picasso triggers, and tons of eels, didn't see any sharks or other big game fish, a little disappointing.

I heard the Maldives is the better stop, which is just where I will be heading next year.
Interesting. What part of the country did you dive? We were based out of Flick en Flack, but we dove with a local divemaster who hand built his own sailboat. I was very impressed with his own boat. We mostly dove out of the way sites. Granted it was years ago, but it was very good. I've been a divemaster for about 20 years, and lived in Asia and Africa, hence the trip there. While I haven't been to the Maldives, one of the few locations left on my dive bucket list, few place are said to be as nice. I'm looking forward to your trip report next year!

ace_92101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2014, 08:13 PM   #7
Scubaken
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_92101 View Post
Interesting. What part of the country did you dive? We were based out of Flick en Flack, but we dove with a local divemaster who hand built his own sailboat. I was very impressed with his own boat. We mostly dove out of the way sites. Granted it was years ago, but it was very good. I've been a divemaster for about 20 years, and lived in Asia and Africa, hence the trip there. While I haven't been to the Maldives, one of the few locations left on my dive bucket list, few place are said to be as nice. I'm looking forward to your trip report next year!

I would need to get my. Dive log out, we were at the lux resort grande gaube, we dove on the 3 islands off the reef. Needlessly to say, not much there and not much impressive there, loads of bleached out dead corals.
A real shame.

Scubaken is offline   Reply With Quote