Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 04/21/2006, 11:29 AM   #301
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

I've been super busy:

1. job
2. school
3. writing online SW articles
4. Fragging stuff for our frag swap this weekend, I made over 30 frags. (srhooms and zoas mostly)
5. car broke down

I was hoping as new people got TBS they would start posting here and keep the thread going, but we haven't heard much from the new people.

It is funny how time flies. Last July I went to the frag swap and came home with around 20 frags. This time I'm selling around 30 and will come home with 3 or 4.

Brian

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef with 29 gal sump and 8 gal Clownfish species tank
Unread 04/21/2006, 11:31 AM   #302
drk70
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CirolanidHunter
This time I'm selling around 30 and will come home with 3 or 4.
Yeah Right! That is what we all say.

Current Tank Info: 70g RR, DIY Stand & Canopy, 29g Sump, Mag 9.5 return, Aqua C EV-180 w/ Mag 7, 6-39W T-5 Retro Kit, 70g TBS package
Unread 04/21/2006, 11:32 AM   #303
patsan
Premium Member

I have nothing new in the tank and just haven't been feeling well for over a month now.

That's great that you guys are selling your frags!!

Current Tank Info: spectator
Unread 04/21/2006, 11:53 AM   #304
bobt2
Registered Member

my lsf here on long island will not give me anything! of course he'll take it for free and then sells the xenia frags for $29. i gave him a batch rather than flush them but no more. i'll start selling stuff out of my fish room.

Unread 04/21/2006, 11:58 AM   #305
drk70
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
my lsf here on long island will not give me anything! of course he'll take it for free and then sells the xenia frags for $29. i gave him a batch rather than flush them but no more. i'll start selling stuff out of my fish room.
If that is the way they are I wouldn't ever buy anything from them. All the LFS that I have been in have all said the same thing and that is they will give me 1/3 of their selling price in store credit. Of course that all is depending on if they actually want what you have.

Current Tank Info: 70g RR, DIY Stand & Canopy, 29g Sump, Mag 9.5 return, Aqua C EV-180 w/ Mag 7, 6-39W T-5 Retro Kit, 70g TBS package
Unread 04/21/2006, 12:10 PM   #306
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
Yeah Right! That is what we all say.
Stay tuned for my post of my 30 frags I bring home

I've gotten pretty picky about corals for my tank now, but I'm planning on bringing home a peach montipora, turquoise fuzzy millipora and a couple of impulse purchases.

My corals are going to LOVE me though, I'm buying live rotifers and bbs and fresh phyto at the swap. It will be a feeding frenzy Saturday night.

Brian

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef with 29 gal sump and 8 gal Clownfish species tank
Unread 04/21/2006, 12:18 PM   #307
patsan
Premium Member

Well, I for one can't wait to see what you get. I miss seeing nice pictures of everyone's tanks, corals and fish.

Unread 04/21/2006, 12:21 PM   #308
drk70
Premium Member

I'm going to the LFS tomorrow so maybe I will have something new to show.

Unread 04/21/2006, 12:27 PM   #309
krajacich
Premium Member

I've been really busy doing a bunch of traveling for random interviews. My work is starting to get a bit busier, too.

My tank is pretty much the same as it had been....not much new there. Although if we end up moving in the next few months I might be getting a new, larger tank....so I'd have lots of new pictures then.

Anyone who buys new stuff this weekend needs to post LOTS of pics. I miss all the pics too Pat!

Current Tank Info: 72g bow reef tank with TBS package
Unread 04/21/2006, 12:38 PM   #310
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
Well, I for one can't wait to see what you get. I miss seeing nice pictures of everyone's tanks, corals and fish.
Well, my camera isn't going to available until middle of May Pat, so don't hold your breath!

But at that time BELIEVE me you will have pics and LOTS of them. It has been difficult not taking pictures for a month.

Especially of one of the TBS brains I have in my QT tank. It is definitely a different species than the other 4 I have. When it shrinks up during the day you can see space between the fleshy areas. It almost looks like a favia and has a HUGE feeding response. I'm very curious to see what Eric Borneman thinks it is.

Oh my kingdom for a camera

Brian

Unread 04/21/2006, 12:47 PM   #311
patsan
Premium Member

Well, by that time (middle of May), we'll have lots of pictures to look at.
I am going to take zillions of Sally's tank when we go there....and at least then, we'll have something different to look at!!

Unread 04/21/2006, 07:34 PM   #312
bobt2
Registered Member

dennis, trouble is, he's 5 min from the house, he has a good selection and his prices are not bad, that plus when i lost a leather after 1 week he replaced it sight unseen. it's just his policy not to pay anything for frags

Unread 04/22/2006, 12:51 PM   #313
gebman
Registered Member

Hello fellow TBSers. Thanks for the invite to the thread. Got my rocks about 4-5 weeks ago and have loved every minute of having them. Lots of great hitchhikers (minus the one mantis shrimp). I keep finding new crabs (no gorilla's as of yet). Here are some pictures of my rocks.

(My Favorite Hitchhiker)

(My least favorite hitchhiker ;-) )

Unread 04/22/2006, 02:35 PM   #314
DiverDownBrian
Registered Member

Here's my 12G NanoCube ... it's been up since Aug ... Rock and Sand came from TBS

Unread 04/22/2006, 03:05 PM   #315
drk70
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobt2
dennis, trouble is, he's 5 min from the house, he has a good selection and his prices are not bad, that plus when i lost a leather after 1 week he replaced it sight unseen. it's just his policy not to pay anything for frags
That just stinks then.

Well went to the LFS today. They didn't have anything that I wanted so no pics of anything new from me.

Unread 04/22/2006, 03:11 PM   #316
drk70
Premium Member

Gebman - Your favorite hitchhiker is a mithrax crab and eventually you are going to want it out of your tank.

BTW, nice pics! Do you have a full tank shot?

DiverDownBrian - Cool nano!

Unread 04/22/2006, 07:35 PM   #317
patsan
Premium Member

Oh, glad to see someone new posting here. It's nice to see new pics.
I got a cool picture today of a chiton that I see every now and then along the front glass (acrylic).

while I'm at it, here are a few more from today while feeding the tank:

Unread 04/22/2006, 09:13 PM   #318
tspfish
Registered Member

Thanks for informing me of this thread. I have not had time to look at it all but I will. I have had TBS rock in my fish tanks for a long time. Recently ( 6 months ago ) I had to sell my 135 gallon TBS tank

I have just recently got back were I can have a saltwater tank again. So I called be friends at TBS and here are a few pics of what I got. This tank is less that one month old. Just finished the second cycle of the second half.

Sorry about the pic sizes I have to learn how to bake them bigger.

Thanks

Tom

Unread 04/22/2006, 09:18 PM   #319
patsan
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tspfish
Thanks for informing me of this thread. I have not had time to look at it all but I will. I have had TBS rock in my fish tanks for a long time. Recently ( 6 months ago ) I had to sell my 135 gallon TBS tank

I have just recently got back were I can have a saltwater tank again. So I called be friends at TBS and here are a few pics of what I got. This tank is less that one month old. Just finished the second cycle of the second half.

Sorry about the pic sizes I have to learn how to bake them bigger.

Thanks

Tom
That looks so nice Tom! Looks nice and colorful.
As far as the picture size, try opening up an account in photobucket. It's free, unless you decide to take out a premium account, which is only $25 a year, and you can put your pictures the size they come out of the camera without worrying about having to scale them down as much as you need to in RC's gallery. You can also resize them right within photobucket if you need to.
I'd love to see more pictures.

Unread 04/23/2006, 11:30 AM   #320
krajacich
Premium Member

YAY pictures!!!!!!!!!!

Gebman- looks good! Glad you got the mantis out so quickly. Looks like you have quite a few tube corals...very neat.

Tom- your tank is looking pretty colorful. What size is it?

Pat- great pics as always. I love the one of the brain....but it makes me sad that mine's gone I've never seen the bottom of a chiton...mine is always crawling around on the rock, never the glass:

We've had some friends in town this weekend so I haven't been able to work on my light hood but I did buy paint & stain for it so I'm hoping to get some time to finish it soon. I can't wait to see how the tank looks with the MH/VHO. My PC bulbs are pretty old and the tank is looking way too yellow for my tastes right now.

Unread 04/23/2006, 11:44 AM   #321
krajacich
Premium Member

I thought I'd post some other pictures from my tank:

This ones a little blurry but worth posting because it's just funny. One of my clownfish has taken to sleeping in this dead clam....it's hard to get a good pic because he's only really in there at night

Maze Brain:

Sun Coral:

Ricordea & unidentified SPS frag:

Unread 04/23/2006, 12:03 PM   #322
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Nice pictures everyone! Glad to see more photos as always. The clownfish sleeping in the clam is just too funny

I went to the frag swap yesterday and 60 of my baby snails found new homes (hopefully to establish other breeding populations).

I went with two coolers worth of frags and came home with a fat wallet and 3 frags:

1. Peach Montipora sp. (possibly digitata, but polyps are small)

2. Turquoise Acropora millepora (with purple tip). GORGEOUS even under my 6500K QT light. I'm hoping now that my Ca and Alk are stable in my main tank it will do well.

3. Unknown species..possibly Montipora sp. BEAUTIFUL under the owner's tank lights. It is mostly gray flesh with a pink/peach growth edge and orange polyps. WOW.

No pics though! Sucks not having a camera.

Brian

Last edited by BrianPlankis; 04/23/2006 at 12:32 PM.
Unread 04/23/2006, 02:26 PM   #323
Safir
Registered Member

The recent growth in this thread led me to take some pictures today:

I counted three different porcelian crabs today.. all hitchikers. My friend says he counted 5 last night

full tank shot:

a few of my frags:

a few of my hitchiker corals:

and my maroon clowns.. this is the first time i've seen "him" doing the submissive dance, happened to catch it... female on teh right with the misbars, male on the left, he has a funny little "dot" at the base of his rear bar on both sides... she is only misbarred on one side - both very interesting markings IMO

and the newest member of the family, picked him up from the shelter today:

Unread 04/23/2006, 02:56 PM   #324
BrianPlankis
Premium Member

Safir,

Great pictures! Any idea what that first hitchhiker coral is? Does it eat anything? That is the first time (that I recall) that I've seen that coral as a hitchhiker.

Pretty cat, glad you rescued him/her/it

Brian

Unread 04/23/2006, 03:02 PM   #325
krajacich
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Safir
a few of my hitchiker corals:

Safir- I LOVE this coral! Great shot. Always nice to see someone who rescues other animals too! I'm sure the cat will be a great addition to the family.

Closed Thread