Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/14/2020, 05:18 PM   #1
reefwisher
Registered Member

Icecap K1-130 or Bubble Magus Curve 5

Just got back into this hobby after a 5 year break. So I'm looking for a new skimmer, I have my eye set on the Bubble Magus Curve 5 until I stumbled onto this Icecap K1-130. It look like a pretty nice skimmer but cannot find enough info. on it to pursue it so I like to know what you people think of it and know of it? I know enough of the Bubble Magus that I'm leaning on it but would be willing to try the Icecap if it can do or a better job then the Bubble Magus.

reefwisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2020, 01:24 PM   #2
Millwright
Registered Member

I have/had the K2-120 till late last year. I also had a SSA curve 7 about 6 years ago.
The K2 was quiet and did a good job pulling thick green ski mate on my 60 gallon cube. After a 2 week break in and some tweaking it ran consistently with little to no micro-bubbles.
The curve 7 had the sicca pump and the same body as the B.M. It also ran well with little to know micro bubbles after tweaking and breaking it in.
Does the BM have a Sicca pump? I think I remember a few complaints about noise? I could be wrong.
Personally I liked both equally well. If the only difference is the pump I’d go with the one that has the Sicca pump.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL
Millwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2020, 03:44 PM   #3
reefwisher
Registered Member

For all who have looked at this post and no response, I decided to go with the Bubble Magus. The pump that comes with it is a Rock SP-1000. What made me decide on this is that they say the pump can be easily replace if anything should go wrong. I don't know about the Icecap pump. One of the online vendor had a President sales this weekend with 20 percent off on the Bubble Magus skimmer so I jumped on it. Thanks for all who looked at this post.

reefwisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2020, 07:55 PM   #4
Krchfam
Registered Member

Have had no issues with my bubble 5, had to clean out the air hole once but otherwise great. Quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krchfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2020, 08:38 PM   #5
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

I’ve had a BM curve 7 for 5-6 years now, also a rock (2000) pump that only recently failed. Replaced it for about $60, still works well. Same design as the 5, just a bit larger, and good bang for the buck.

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote