Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/23/2014, 09:43 AM   #1
ryhiem
Registered Member

Help Identifying Triggerfish

Hello Everyone,
I was hoping for some assistance in identify a triggerfish. I acquired him yesterday from a coworker. Pretty sure I saved his life because the water from my coworkers tank was yellow and had a very strong odor. Anyways here's a few pics. He is currently placed in my sump because I don't know what temperament he has. Sorry about the pics, haven't cleaned my sump recently.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0634.jpg (36.4 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0639.jpg (26.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0635.jpg (36.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0640.jpg (32.7 KB, 37 views)
ryhiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2014, 10:08 AM   #2
hkarmy25
Registered Member

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...249&pcatid=249

Commonly labeled from wholesalers as "black triggerfish". Mine was very active once he felt comfortable. Temperment is very touch and go with the individual trigger. I've heard people say their black trigger is "a model citizen", mine was not. Nothing too bad as far as aggression, but once he nipped my tusks fins I rehomed him. They are cool fish and fun to watch. If you decide to keep him you'll enjoy his personality.

hkarmy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2014, 10:16 AM   #3
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhiem View Post
Hello Everyone,
I was hoping for some assistance in identify a triggerfish. I acquired him yesterday from a coworker. Pretty sure I saved his life because the water from my coworkers tank was yellow and had a very strong odor. Anyways here's a few pics. He is currently placed in my sump because I don't know what temperament he has. Sorry about the pics, haven't cleaned my sump recently.
that is an Indian trigger...Melichthys indicus...
they can be mellow but the last one I had was a terror..great fish with great personalities but the can be a real handful...

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2014, 11:03 AM   #4
ryhiem
Registered Member

Ya that's him! Thanks for the replies! Any ideas on if he would have a chance to get along with a blue throat in a 125? Knowing at each has his own personality and aggressiveness. My blue throat is mellow, but not fully mature, about 3-4 inches. The Black/Indian is about 5-6 inches and previously lived with 2 damsels, reportedly peacefully.

Unread 01/23/2014, 11:23 AM   #5
viggen
Registered Member

yes its a indian triggerfish

many stores will get the indian and black mixed up, sometimes called black durgeon trigger.

When the trigger has that line below the mouth and eyes.... it's a indian trigger

Hard to say with their temperament. They are not aggressive like most other triggers but its hard to say. My black trigger (the one on the live aquaria link) didn't work with my sargassum trigger who was very shy. My black trigger is 7+in I would say and the sargassum I HAD was 3-4in..... tank is a 10ft 475g

Unread 01/23/2014, 11:37 AM   #6
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhiem View Post
Ya that's him! Thanks for the replies! Any ideas on if he would have a chance to get along with a blue throat in a 125? Knowing at each has his own personality and aggressiveness. My blue throat is mellow, but not fully mature, about 3-4 inches. The Black/Indian is about 5-6 inches and previously lived with 2 damsels, reportedly peacefully.
as mentioned, my last one was just insane...and it only got worse the bigger he got...
With the size difference, I would be very careful...

Unread 01/23/2014, 08:30 PM   #7
hkarmy25
Registered Member

That explains alot. Wholesaler insisted mine was a HW, even though the color was off. Kept reading what nice triggers they were supposed to be, and mine was nothing of the sort. Sorry for the missed ID, glad they could turn it around for you...

hkarmy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2014, 08:52 PM   #8
ryhiem
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies! I think Im just going to find a good home for him. I dont think I want to chance it with how peaceful my tank is running right now. Too bad, he's been in there only a day and is already very social with me! Sucks! but cant see myself getting another tank at the moment!

Unread 01/24/2014, 09:06 AM   #9
humaguy
Premium Member

both the Hawaiian and Indian, ime, can be very tough fish...they also grow quickly and get large...

Tags
identify, trigger, triggerfish, unknown