Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/28/2016, 04:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

How long to go Fallow?

So I've set up my new tank, and I put a bunch of corals in from a swap, so I have things from a bunch of different reefers from hobbyist to commercial. I also have gotten a new fish that has been kept in a separate tank up until now. I want to do my best with quarantine procedures for this new tank. How long do I have to keep the fish out of the DT to ensure that any parasites that hitchhiked on the corals will have died out?

Fish will be receiving 2 rounds of prazipro, and likely TTM in the meantime. Is there anything else I ought to do? Fish appears to be in good health or is asymptomatic.

00101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2016, 05:20 PM   #2
lg2725
Registered Member

Taking it into regard from someone brand new in this but from what I have read, DT stays fallow for 72 days (minimum) after ANYTHING other than a QT'd fish goes in. That includes corals and inverts. I'm in the process as we speak. I am sure someone with more experience will post.
Happy Reefing!

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon long reef tank, 75 gallon basement sump/fuge, GHL 3.1T ex controller, GHL Doser 2.1, BRS dual GFO/Carbon, Rapid Led's
lg2725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2016, 06:16 PM   #3
Deinonych
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg2725 View Post
Taking it into regard from someone brand new in this but from what I have read, DT stays fallow for 72 days (minimum) after ANYTHING other than a QT'd fish goes in. That includes corals and inverts. I'm in the process as we speak. I am sure someone with more experience will post.
Happy Reefing!
Correct.

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge · 2x MP40wES PHs · 2x Radion Gen2 · Apex w/PM2 · Fish · Corals · Rock · Sand · Water
Deinonych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2016, 08:24 PM   #4
Registered Member

Yeesh. Was hoping for something closer to a month. As always I assume its an all or nothing proposition? Either I'm sure its gone, or I'm sure its there?

Unread 09/29/2016, 02:05 AM   #5
ThRoewer
Registered Member

72 days is only the longest observed duration of a cyst - you still have to add a day or two for the hatched infective stages.
So the minimum fallow based on this should be 74 days.
Though if you go that long you may as well do 3 full months - keep in mind that this was a single observation of a single strain. There is no warranty that a cyst can't hold out longer.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2016, 11:21 AM   #6
Registered Member

So where does the 72 day figure come from? I've been doing some searches through my university's system and I'm not really finding a whole lot of specific details about the cyst stage.

Unread 09/29/2016, 11:51 AM   #7
Mishri
Registered Member

Interesting.. I usually see people cite this study for the 72 day window

http://www.int-res.com/articles/dao/1/d001p019.pdf

but.. I read it says 28 days is maximum... must have been from a different study. I seem to remember reading it before, and it was done by keeping it at something like 52 degrees... the ones kept at normal aquarium temps all hatched much sooner... and even to achieve 25-28 days they kept it at low salinity.

just keep in mind the time/money/fish lives you could lose if you decide to shorten it though. I'll be doing a 90 day fallow period on my currently ich infected tanks. patience is very inexpensive...

Last edited by Mishri; 09/29/2016 at 12:02 PM.
Mishri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2016, 12:27 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishri View Post

but.. I read it says 28 days is maximum... must have been from a different study. I seem to remember reading it before, and it was done by keeping it at something like 52 degrees... the ones kept at normal aquarium temps all hatched much sooner... and even to achieve 25-28 days they kept it at low salinity.

just keep in mind the time/money/fish lives you could lose if you decide to shorten it though. I'll be doing a 90 day fallow period on my currently ich infected tanks. patience is very inexpensive...

Hmm. Interesting. I'm all for doing the job right, but there's a difference between doing it right and doing 3x as much for no reason. The articles I've read so far mostly deal with vaccination and protocols for keeping infections to a minimum in mariculture facilities.

I don't want to disparage the experts or anything, but like many things both in and out of the hobby it might be a case of 'so and so said to so thats what I do..." ad infinitum.

Unread 09/29/2016, 12:57 PM   #9
Deinonych
Registered Member

Quote:

There was a more recent study (1997) by the same author (along with P. Burgess) in which the 72-day period was observed in at least one strain. I have a PDF archived somewhere, but can't find an online source that doesn't require payment. Here's the abstract: http://link.springer.com/article/10....:1018360323287

Hope is not a strategy.
Display Tank: DSA 105 w/36gal sump/fuge · 2x MP40wES PHs · 2x Radion Gen2 · Apex w/PM2 · Fish · Corals · Rock · Sand · Water
Unread 09/29/2016, 12:59 PM   #10
Mishri
Registered Member

This one has a bunch of studies cited you could read through:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa164

this is cited frequently.. for data on ich

I think that link Is the one you are referencing Deinonych

edit: maybe it isn't.. I can't find the section which would have that info in it.. I think it still says 21 days on that one.. but I know someone did link me to a study that had the 72 day observation in it.. because nobody else could find that info either.. this has been discussed before as I wanted that info as well. The thing I still had a problem with though was the temp was so cold to keep it as a tomont/cyst stage longer intentionally... so it isn't what we would observe under normal reef aquarium conditions. But, there are new strains being discovered and one that can survive hypo so... things are getting tough. I doubt that any strains are developing longer rather than shorter tomont duration though.. I can't imagine the benefit for it.

edit again: this should hit a pdf:

https://pearl.plymouth.ac.uk/bitstre...PDF?sequence=1

Last edited by Mishri; 09/29/2016 at 01:13 PM.
Mishri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2016, 01:46 PM   #11
Deinonych
Registered Member

Quote:

edit again: this should hit a pdf:

https://pearl.plymouth.ac.uk/bitstre...PDF?sequence=1
That's the one. Good find.

The University of Florida one you mentioned above is also very good as it provides all the pertinent information about Cryptocaryon in one place (and in relatively lay language).

Hope is not a strategy.
Unread 09/29/2016, 03:06 PM   #12
microlady
Registered Member

72 days worked for me.

microlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2016, 09:29 PM   #13
traumamed
Registered Member

I am currently in the midst of a fallow period in my DT for velvet, so I have just done a bunch of research on fallow periods myself. The advice above is absolutely sound, but I will offer a different way of looking at things.

This is an odds game, and on multiple levels. The odds that your new livestock was infested, the odds that it is infested with ich vs velvet (shorter life cycle) vs something else, and the odds that it is a long-lived tomont strain of whatever the hypothetical infestation may be. So it more boils down to your comfort level and how risk-averse you are.

Go 72-74 days, and you're pretty much guaranteed a parasite-free tank. That will cover the longest-lived strains of the longest-lived saltwater parasites under water conditions that are conducive to longevity of parasites.

However, many people will green light new livestock for the DT after only 4 asymptomatic weeks in a QT. For that matter, many people don't QT at all and get lucky most of the time, but that is not good husbandry.

I need to dig up the source, but I saw one article that said something like 84% chance of being parasite-free at 4 weeks fallow, 97ish % at 6 weeks, and 99.7% at 8 weeks. Can't remember where or in reference to what though, but my gut is telling me that was for marine ich. The data is out there (and referenced in the posts above). You have to decide what level of risk, if any, suits you.

traumamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2016, 10:28 PM   #14
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlady View Post
72 days worked for me.
... and only 4 weeks worked for me... (with 4 fully immune fish still in the tank) - no new fish ever got it.

The tomonts of most ich strains will likely be excysted after the 28 days as stated in the above linked Colorni study.

The 72 days go back to one single observation in one single study among several research studies done on Cryptocaryon. From hearsay here, this was also under rather fringe conditions (rather low temperature).
Based on that it is nearly impossible to claim that 72 days is the maximum encystment period or to claim that this is a frequent occurrence.

I would bet that in most cases 42 days would be more than sufficient.
Yet, there are also indicators that there are strains that may hold out longer.

So in the end there is no way to say how long is enough, only that the longer you go the better your odds get.
After 90 days your chances of being ich free are pretty good, though 30 may already be enough.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 09/30/2016, 10:55 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumamed View Post
I need to dig up the source, but I saw one article that said something like 84% chance of being parasite-free at 4 weeks fallow, 97ish % at 6 weeks, and 99.7% at 8 weeks. Can't remember where or in reference to what though, but my gut is telling me that was for marine ich. The data is out there (and referenced in the posts above). You have to decide what level of risk, if any, suits you.
Was that one of stickies by snorvich? Because the numbers he showed there were entirely hypothetical to show how a normal distribution worked. He said right in it that no one really knows the actual distribution characteristics of the cysts.

Edit: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388421 This one? Because "Unfortunately, there is no published value for the standard deviation of the life cycle of Cryptocaryon irritans."

Also being that this uses the life cycle mean, I'm suspect if that is even the figure we want to be examining. More directly when going fallow, we really only care about how long the cysts can remain viable.

Last edited by 00101; 09/30/2016 at 11:02 AM.
Unread 09/30/2016, 11:39 AM   #16
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Well, if you remove your fish from an ich infested tank and return them 72 days later and happen to have a cyst (tomont) that lasted 72 days, your fallow period would have failed.

What is mostly ignored are the protomont (up to 18h) stage and tomite (up to 48h) stages These add roughly 3 days to the possible 72 day tomont duration for the required fallow period.

So if you assume that 72 days is the longest a cyst can hold out you would need to wait 75 days before returning the fish.

Unread 09/30/2016, 02:49 PM   #17
traumamed
Registered Member

This has just about everything you'd ever want to know about Cryptocaryon. It references the 1997 Colorni and Burgess study that showed the infamous 72-day tomont, but it also discusses the average lengths of time before tomont-to-theront progression based on both Colorni and Burgess 1997, and on Diggles and Lester 1996.

traumamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2016, 08:39 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumamed View Post
This has just about everything you'd ever want to know about Cryptocaryon. It references the 1997 Colorni and Burgess study that showed the infamous 72-day tomont, but it also discusses the average lengths of time before tomont-to-theront progression based on both Colorni and Burgess 1997, and on Diggles and Lester 1996.
Alright so I've done some digging! The 1997 study from Colorni and Burgess cites the 72 day figure coming from Colorni 1992 which from what I can tell is an unpublished thesis. The only place that I have found that hosts this paper is the Hebrew University of Jerusalem (the university where the work was done). I don't think I'm able to gain access to the full text, so I cannot examine the data or experimental conditions. I suppose I could contact the HUJI library to see if they'd send me a copy, but as this has nothing to do with my research or anything I don't know how successful that would be.

The 1996 study by Diggles and Lester does not offer any data of tomont excystment past 15 days, other than around half had done so by that point. This study also hypothesizes that excystment times varied so significantly between the two isolates because of the local conditions of where the isolate is from, with the isolate obtained from tropical reef water taking longer to excyst at their 20C and 25C conditions than the the isolate from cooler waters. So there's a significant variable that we don't have anyway of actually nailing down. I would hazard that most ciliates in our tanks come from tropical waters, but with how many different fish are coming from all over the world and being handled who knows where, its hard to say for certain.

Now where does this leave us? I don't know. Without the 1992 thesis, there's really no way to accurately interpret the data and apply it to our reef tanks. Especially since I hear many who talk about this figure saying that the 72 days was accomplished with lower temperatures and/or salinity. Which the Diggles and Lester study showed significantly impacts excystment times.

Unread 10/09/2016, 10:03 PM   #19
microlady
Registered Member

I stand corrected. 72 days did not work for me. New fish added are showing ich, and yes they were quarantined properly. It must still be in my display.

Unread 10/10/2016, 10:48 AM   #20
danrobberg
Registered Member

That is the last thing I wanted to read. I am 4 weeks into my fallow period. Looks like I'm going the full 90 days.

danrobberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2016, 11:31 AM   #21
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

I went twelve weeks and a few days. Fish were QTd and clear when they entered the tank. Within 2 weeks they had ich.

I honesty don't think there is an answer.

Correction: I was thinking 12 weeks, but it was actually 3 almost 3.5 months. A loooong time. Way more than people said I needed. Still wound up with sick fish after QT

CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2016, 11:33 AM   #22
danrobberg
Registered Member

Ok that's even worse to hear.

Unread 10/10/2016, 11:35 AM   #23
danrobberg
Registered Member

During your qt did you treat with copper?

Unread 10/10/2016, 01:19 PM   #24
microlady
Registered Member

I went 72 days the first time and 90 the second. Fallow periods work well for knocking down the virulence of the parasite, but in my experience it doesn't eliminate them. I am really sick to my stomach when I think about all that I've went through the past year. All of my fish went through TTM a few times. I don't touch copper.

Two of my dwarf Angels show a few spots and my tang scratches sometimes. So far it doesn't seem too bad. Only time will tell.

Good luck.

Unread 10/10/2016, 04:47 PM   #25
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I killed it of in my 42 gallon tank by leaving the immune fish in the tank and only treating the very sick regal angels. No new fish I added to that tank ever showed a spot, and this tank is not only heavily stocked but has also a bit bullying going on.
I have the suspicion that at least some ich strains might have long term cysts in hibernation which wake up when they "smell" a fish near by.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk