Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/26/2020, 06:20 PM   #1
Wind
Registered Member

Which Vortech Pumps 10 or 40 for my 75?

Hi,

I have a typical standard 75 gallon currently with a Tunze Pump, but I would like to get a MP10wQD Vortech as a supplemental secondary pump. I've heard nothing but good things about these, but read about the 'spacers' and such affecting the life of the pump?

I may eventually switch to a larger tank like a 125 in a few years, so I don't know if it may make more sense to just get the MP40wQD in anticipation of future glass thickness?

I've attached a picture of my glass thickness, any guidance is appreciated. My gut feeling is that the MP10wQD would suffice, but I hope to get some feedback and help, seeing that these command a premium.

Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glass Thickness.jpg (70.8 KB, 12 views)
Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2020, 06:56 AM   #2
alton
Registered Member

the 10 is good for now, but the 40 would be best since you are upgrading. Also since you will only have one MP, you do not need the MP10W saving you like $50 if you want to save money. You can always buy the wireless driver later

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2020, 10:40 AM   #3
Wind
Registered Member

Thanks. Can you provide some guidance about the spacers?

Unread 01/27/2020, 10:51 PM   #4
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I would go with the 40. Excellent flow now and in the future.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2020, 11:53 PM   #5
Wind
Registered Member

Hmm. Okay, and what does the spacer thing supposed to do?
Let me sleep on it a bit, but I am in fact thinking about the 40 now, I'll just tone it lower.

Unread 01/30/2020, 04:02 PM   #6
RobbyG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
Hmm. Okay, and what does the spacer thing supposed to do?
Let me sleep on it a bit, but I am in fact thinking about the 40 now, I'll just tone it lower.

The spacers are used depending on the thickness of your aquarium glass.
You get three with the MP-40 and they tell you which one to use for which glass thickness.

Current Tank Info: Insanely Automated Low Power Consumption 90 Gal Oceanic Bow System/Aquatronica Touch Controller/AQ Dosing Pump/AQT LEDS/AQ SMS/Seq Dart Pump/ASM G3/Ozotech Ozonizer/Koralin 1502/Chiller/Typhoon3 Ro/S.Squirt /Phos React/Rmt DSB

Last edited by RobbyG; 01/30/2020 at 04:08 PM.
RobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2020, 06:50 AM   #7
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

MP40 for sure. I had a 55g QT with a MP10 on it years ago and at full speed it wouldn't push water to the other side of the tank... Or at least very well

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2020, 08:10 PM   #8
Wind
Registered Member

Okay thanks. I may lean on the 40. In general what is the purpose of the spacers? I don't really get it. lol

Unread 02/01/2020, 09:11 PM   #9
RobbyG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
Okay thanks. I may lean on the 40. In general what is the purpose of the spacers? I don't really get it. lol

They dont want the magnets to close together when the glass is thinner so they add a spacer to get the optimum distance. If they are too close together it puts more strain on the drive shaft.

Current Tank Info: Insanely Automated Low Power Consumption 90 Gal Oceanic Bow System/Aquatronica Touch Controller/AQ Dosing Pump/AQT LEDS/AQ SMS/Seq Dart Pump/ASM G3/Ozotech Ozonizer/Koralin 1502/Chiller/Typhoon3 Ro/S.Squirt /Phos React/Rmt DSB
RobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2020, 02:05 PM   #10
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

I had a 40 and a 10 on a 48” 90 gallon tank. Get the 40 and you will be happier. The 10 had to be turned up considerably higher to push water across the tank which will have a more detrimental affect on pump life than a spacer. I’m not even sure how a spacer can affect pump life honestly. My 40 ran with the spacer for three years with no issue and the 40 is now on my 150 gallon still running strong.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef. Biocube 29 lionfish tank. Mantis tank.
Crooked Reef is offline   Reply With Quote