Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/13/2013, 04:58 PM   #26
smb2415
Registered Member

Bought some 50lbs live rock over the weekend. I dont think it came from a very mature system. Ive got it in a bucket on heater and pump. Should help me seed my fuge as I will be building the fuge first.

smb2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2013, 04:59 PM   #27
smb2415
Registered Member

GMATE - thanks for following along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmate View Post
Hello fellow CT-er! Love to see huge builds in the local area, keep us posted!

Unread 06/18/2013, 07:26 PM   #28
smb2415
Registered Member

Its been a bit since I posted any updates so I figured I chime in.

-Stand is back from powder coat. Looks great!! Need to level the basement floor so I can start to assemble DT, stand, plumbing

- I now have a 40g breeder that has mostly cycled with 50lbs live rock (not the best quality), 1 small hermit, a few nassarius snails, and an emerald crab, along with various pest hair algae (red and green) form the not so great live rock. The 40g is my way of learning while building the larger system. It provides me a place to build my skills in husbandry, water parameters, and well a little to look at. The 40g has been running for about a month. Parameters are currently: salinity 1.025, ammonia about 0.20, Nitrite 0, Nitrate between 30-50ppm. I have been doing weekly 5g water changes and top offs as needed. Ive lost some livestock: 2 turbos, 4 turbin snails, 1 emerald, and a sea hare (tried to get rid of the pest algae).

- I have another 50lbs of dead rock which I have been dipping in baths of muriatic acid, beach and fresh water trying to clean it. I will then cycle it separately before adding to 40g.

-The 550g DT has now been drilled for 2" beananimal drains and the coast-to-coast overflow. Picked up the sch80 bulkheads and some fittings. I had to remove the typical overflow fingers and glass... not a fun project. but then again neither was drilling those holes...LOL

- picked up Hanna Phosphate, sailfert ammonia-nitrate-nitrite kits, BRS refractometer, and waay too much calibration fluid.

- I picked up an Apex Neptune and started to bench program it. Came with 2-jaeger heaters which Im using for the 40g and saltwater mixing.

- Ive decided that I will be using a Bubble King Supermarin 300 for my skimmer, unless an improved one hits the market prior to the DT coming online.

- Lights are still undecided... so many conflicting opinions... Kessil, Ecotoxic, and Orphek have been my primary choices due to the depth of the tank (42"). Definitely going with LED just not sure which.... One suggestion was to go used and cheap as i wont be doing any real corals for at least a year while the tank matures. Any thoughts???

- Joined the local reef club (CTARS) and attended my first meeting.

Unread 06/18/2013, 07:36 PM   #29
smb2415
Registered Member

Overflow Before:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The Coast to Coast Plan

After removing the overflow and drilling the holes:

Unread 06/18/2013, 07:40 PM   #30
smb2415
Registered Member

The new overflow holes could be plugged and covered with the old overflow if I ever decide to go back. I saved the old glass and acrylic fingers. I think I'm going to use threaded bulkheads in the old holes, sealed with silicone and w/nipples and caps on both sides.... just incase I ever decide to use them for some reason. Also because I think it would be harder to remove a flat on flat siliconed glass should I change my mind.... I am open to thoughts/opinions on this.

Unread 06/18/2013, 07:41 PM   #31
smb2415
Registered Member

Here is the completed tank stand:

[IMG]Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Unread 06/18/2013, 07:50 PM   #32
smb2415
Registered Member

After seeking critique here is the latest design of the proposed sump/fuge/plumbing. One catch is now I want a glass tank for the live rock.. the 75g square poly I was planning on using for the live rock is no longer made so the one I have will be used for the sump.

[IMG]Image Hosted by ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Unread 06/18/2013, 07:53 PM   #33
smb2415
Registered Member

** Also need to get ahold of a forum mod to move this thread to a more appropriate place.

Unread 06/18/2013, 11:21 PM   #34
yamanailesi
Registered Member

It seems to be on the way of a fantastic setup ....

yamanailesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2013, 11:01 PM   #35
smb2415
Registered Member

Looong overdue update... I had a few costly delays.

First the basement floor which I was planning on just covering with 1" rigid board insulation and then 5/8" plywood ended up being way out of whack. It had so many dips and valleys that I had to pour a pallet of self-leveling compound to "skim" (1/8 - 1"). However prior to even getting to that point I had to rent a concrete grinder to grind the paint off floor so I could apply the primer. Between the rental and the supplies $3k!!!! The basement isn't finished however the floor is level and ready for the next step.

Now for the aquarium stuff:
Since my post on 5/13 (#26) I have had about 100 or so lbs of live rock going in a 40 breeder. It has some snails and the rock is looking good. No signs of nuisance pests. I have another 100lbs which I'll say is semi-live. This rock I acid and bleached and then washed and sun dried. It was then put into a large tote and kept like live rock, and seeded. For this batch I am going to starve it off with fresh water changes then lights out for a few weeks. I figure then I can reseed it and watch for a minor cycle.... why? because I want to be sure it 100% completely safe of pests (check) and any leaching from the acid/bleach).

I have also been accumulating supplies for the build. more below

Unread 11/26/2013, 11:23 PM   #36
smb2415
Registered Member

Update on supplies:
Thanks to Black Friday sales I HAD to pull the trigger on some of the large items I was waiting to buy. The saving are just too great and I don't want to wait until next year to get this tank up.

So far I have the following on hand:
550 DT Tank
Custom steel powder coat stand
40 DSB tank
10 Temp QT/HT tank (I think this will be my breeding tank eventually so no copper)
75 tub for return sump
sailfert test kits
BRS refracto
small air pump
dual DI filters ( I have well water, will be getting ro/di)
dual TDS meters (in/out)
Couple heaters
My custom titanium hot water recirc loop heater
Some plumbing bulkhead, pipes, fittings (using all sch80)
100lbs live rock
100lbs semi-live
100lbs reef saver rock
50lbs Fiji dry rock
160lbs Pukani rock

And for Black Friday heres whats ordered and/or coming
Marineland Emperor 280 biofilter for QT/HT
Cobalt Power Cleaner 30-125 (vacuum)
Hammerhead glass cleaners
Reef-Flo Dart or Hammhead (I'm leaning towards running 2-darts - less electricity and serves as redundant)
740lbs Sand (see next post)

2 - Ecotech Mp60 wes

Unread 11/26/2013, 11:24 PM   #37
_chromis_
Moved On

looks like your onto a great start, i cant wait to see this puppy full of water!!!

_chromis_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2013, 11:28 PM   #38
smb2415
Registered Member

Seeking recommendations on sand, I will be running a 6" DSB in the DT:

So I want a good sand that sifters will enjoy and not blow around the tank like oolite does. I realize it will shift and move however will MP60s and 1-2 darts I will have some flow. This will eventually be mixed reef with fish, NPS, SPS, LPS, etc

I am considering the following:
Carib-Sea Fiji Pink (0.5-1.5mm) as the base 4"
Carib-Sea Special Grade (1-2mm) for the top 2"

Any thoughts? send em over..

Unread 11/26/2013, 11:29 PM   #39
smb2415
Registered Member

10g QT is up and running and ready for first round

Unread 11/26/2013, 11:36 PM   #40
smb2415
Registered Member

Timeline: Tank filled and cycling by Dec 31st. That's my goal.

With everything I have listed I still need to position the stand and tank and get the glass for the new coast to coast. With those tow things done I should have everything here to begin assembly of the DT.

I really need get my hand on more 40breeders, 20L, 10s, and a 5g. Any idea when petco $1/g sale is again? I heard maybe Jan?

I'll also need to build/buy/find a source for a custom fuge/rubble tank, probably acrylic 48"l x 35"w x 10-12" h

After the tank is cycled and running I'll finish out the basement around it (protecting/covering it while working).

Unread 11/26/2013, 11:44 PM   #41
smb2415
Registered Member

oh yes and rock scaping, I'm going to have to do the scaling prior to putting tank in place as once its on the stand access is limited so the rock work would need to come out in pieces. Im going to use threaded acrylic rod to assemble and pond foam only where needed. Any stand alone pieces will be placed on egg crate. I'll need to order some large branches and platforms after I financially recover a bit ;P If anyone has seen the large DT at Greenwich Aquaria thats the look I going for although I want a bit less rock work to allow for more swimming room.

Unread 11/26/2013, 11:58 PM   #42
smb2415
Registered Member

Sanding the paint off the floor

Pouring/leveling floor with self-leveling compound - a whole pallet!!

Unread 11/27/2013, 07:49 AM   #43
BfishLpond78
FUPA

Any reason you want the DSB in the DT?

Current Tank Info: 150G Starfire, BK DC 200, Vertex V6, PS Kore 5th, Ecotech Waves, Controlled by Apex, Topped off by Tunze
BfishLpond78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2013, 08:20 AM   #44
smb2415
Registered Member

I prefer the look and figure that if I don't like the look or if it becomes problematic I can always remove some over time.

What are your thoughts? I see your tank is looking great and even better since I saw it last

Unread 11/27/2013, 08:41 AM   #45
BfishLpond78
FUPA

I prefer a shallow to medium sand bed for the use of visual and livestock benefit. With a sand bed that deep you will definitely see the layers it creates over time. If you've ever seen a very mature sandbed you know what I'm talking about. Just layers upon layers of gunk, for me it can be an eye sore. Also, you will have to worry about an creatures that are burrowing, I see you mentioned egg crate, I assume you're going to lay rock first then add sand? Which will negate my next worry of burrowers causing rock slides.

I remember you made mention of a separate fuge area, why not have the DSB there? Would def help you save on your substrate costs which could be used for more fun toys

Thanks for the kind words, the tank is coming along nicely. Anxiously waiting to see what you put together.

Current Tank Info: 150G Starfire, BK DC 200, Vertex V6, PS Kore 5th, Ecotech Waves, Controlled by Apex, Topped off by Tunze
BfishLpond78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2013, 02:14 PM   #46
smb2415
Registered Member

I plan on building the stand fascia up to cover about 3 of the 6". The fascia will be a magnet or some other type of quick mount/dismount. I actually like and prefer the burrowing in the sand, it's more natural to me.

As for the rock structure they will be pretty massive and held together with rod, lighter pieces will be tied to egg crate. And yes, the rick work will be laid first.

I will also have a separate DSB setup in light-out/cryptic fashion.

Unread 11/30/2013, 03:26 PM   #47
smb2415
Registered Member

We have fish!

First round of fish went into qt yesterday, start the timer!. Maybe releasing them into the DT will be my Christmas or New Years present?

Main tank should have water this weekend! 200lbs of LR has been curing for 4mo and hopefully my dot cycle will be dramatically shortened.

Fish
2- ocellaris clowns
3- yellowtail anthias
3-green chromis
1-scooter blenny

Nothing too exciting but these are my first tenants... Lol

Unread 11/30/2013, 10:27 PM   #48
smb2415
Registered Member

Some pics of the live rock curing (no pics of the other 100lbs in the tub) and my 1st fish in QT

Unread 11/30/2013, 10:29 PM   #49
smb2415
Registered Member

Picked up (2) used 1" sea-swirls tonight

The UPS guy is going to hate me this week, I've probably got about a delivery per day all week!

Any suggestions for a CHEAP LED fuge light?

Unread 12/04/2013, 03:36 PM   #50
Osama
Registered Member

Tagging along / enjoying your ideas //... I had my garage redone this year and I can use the floor sander but will save the money for my tank build!!!!

Osama is offline   Reply With Quote