Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/23/2014, 02:30 PM   #1
Black Mammoth
Premium Member

Coming back! Need help designing circulation for a 325g

To make a long story short, I used to have an A.G.E. tank...325g 96L x 30W x 26T. Things were going fine and then about 6 months after my warranty ran out, the back glass cracked! I thought I spent top $$$ to get the best, but I guess stuff happens. They won't return my calls about getting it fixed or building me a new one. So with that said, I decided I'm going to build another one with another vendor. BTW, if you have any suggestions on a builder, please let me know!

Anyway, since I'm designing a new tank, I thought this would be a good time to change the design of the flow. The tank that broke had a euro brace and I had 4 returns driven by a Dart. I also had two closed loops. Each closed loop has an Ocean Motions driven by a Blueline 100HD. The tank will keep both SPS and LPS. I plan on having two rock structure islands that will be shaped in a C type configuration.

I'm asking for help because I didn't particularly like the CL setup I had last time. I wonder if it had anything to do with the failure in the tank. All of the holes were in the bottom of the tank (2 1.5" in takes and 8 1" returns). I'm wondering about doing the two intakes in the bottom of the tank and then doing 4 returns in the bottom and 4 returns in the euro brace or on the back of the tank. I'm looking to see what others have done. I would also like it to have a clean look. This is one of the reasons why I went away from powerheads (used to run Tunzes).

Thanks! Hopefully I didn't leave anything out.

Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi!
Tech, Tech, VPI

Current Tank Info: Starting a new tank 325-390g. Broken 325g A.G.E. tank
Black Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2014, 03:35 PM   #2
dave.m
Registered Member

If the back pane cracked it sounds more like either the tank was not level or that the floor could not take the strain of the weight and shifted. I'd look into correcting that first before sinking more money into another tank.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2014, 05:49 PM   #3
Black Mammoth
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
If the back pane cracked it sounds more like either the tank was not level or that the floor could not take the strain of the weight and shifted. I'd look into correcting that first before sinking more money into another tank.

Dave.M
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the input. Everything is perfectly level. The tank is in my basement on a concrete slab. The tank is on a steel stand that A.G.E. made for the tank. So the stand was level and the tank was level. I had the tank for about 3.5 years and then it cracked.

I had A.G.E. make the stand to make sure I got the full 3 year warranty from them. I didn't want a blame game of a bad stand and things not being level in case of a failure. Anyway, I'm just probably in (hopefully) the small percentage of people that experience a failure. When A.G.E. saw the crack, they were surprised to see it fail that way and didn't have ideas why it did that. That was the last I heard from them. I'm really disappointed with them; not because the tank failed, but because of their poor customer service. I asked for a quote to fix it and a quote for a new tank and they won't get back to me. They don't return phone calls or emails. Here is someone that wants to give them money, but they don't ever respond. I'm not entirely surprised since it took FOREVER to get the first tank. Seems like they have a good product, but just a terrible front office. I was happy with the tank, despite the failure. Anyway, that's why I'm looking for another vendor. I tried contacting Miracles, but they don't respond either. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm not surprised why some companies fail.

Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi!
Tech, Tech, VPI

Unread 12/04/2014, 07:24 PM   #4
Black Mammoth
Premium Member

Anyone?

Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi!
Tech, Tech, VPI