Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/26/2020, 06:44 PM   #1
airplanes1016
Registered Member

Mars aqua for 6 x 30 x 24

Hope to get some help. I currently have a six foot 3 bulb 150 mh fixture on my system. With bulbs getting harder to find and even harder to find the right color I’m thinking it’s time to go led.

My tank is manly a fowlr and a few anemones in there. My fish don’t bother them.

I found the standard 165w fixtures and also the 300w fixtures. My question for some owners is, Will two 300w units cover the area I’m trying to do? Can I run these on my apex? I assume yes?

Thanks sorry for the dumb questions but I’ve only ran mh and t5s for the last 25 years.

Thanks in advance

airplanes1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2020, 10:04 PM   #2
oreo57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airplanes1016 View Post
Hope to get some help. I currently have a six foot 3 bulb 150 mh fixture on my system. With bulbs getting harder to find and even harder to find the right color I’m thinking it’s time to go led.

My tank is manly a fowlr and a few anemones in there. My fish don’t bother them.

I found the standard 165w fixtures and also the 300w fixtures. My question for some owners is, Will two 300w units cover the area I’m trying to do? Can I run these on my apex? I assume yes?

Thanks sorry for the dumb questions but I’ve only ran mh and t5s for the last 25 years.

Thanks in advance
4 165's sideways 7" off the water line should do it..
Real watts are around 440..

As to apex just do a search on hacking chinese black boxes and APEX..

If you don't want to bother..
https://www.amazon.com/VIPARSPECTRA-.../dp/B07SHR6HW1

Not responsible for any change in the looks.. and no "I" don't run them..

This is strictly a geometry problem and keeping you from under-lighting based on fake wattages..

Fortunately they are becoming more honest..
Quote:
Specifications:

Dimensions: 16x8.5x2.4inches. Item Weight: 6.8 lbs
One light is ideal for 24x24” coverage
Max Coverage at 12" height: 30x24”.
Core Coverage at 12" height: 24x24”
Avg. Power Draw: 105W±3%
(55pcs) High Intensity 3W Bridgelux/Epileds LEDs.
Channel one: Violet(420nm), Royal Blue(450nm), Blue(470nm)
Channel two: Green(520nm), Red(660nm), Neutral White(6500K), Cool White(12000K)

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2020, 10:48 PM   #3
airplanes1016
Registered Member

Thank you for the response!
So I see the link you provided. And I have browsed them as well. Just seemed more guys were running the other. Furthermore, you said if I didn’t want to bother with the apex use these? Is that because there compatible with apex or because they have a app? Or because of the remote? I don’t care about changing the spectrums through the day, I simply don’t want to manually turn them on/off. And wanted my apex to do that. Also, given this is just a fowlr. Do you feel like I could get the larger one listed in the link? Two of the 300w, and call that good?

Sorry for more questions

Unread 07/27/2020, 06:56 AM   #4
fisher99
Registered Member

vipraspectre lights

These have their own timer in the light/ You can set the timers to come on at different times for blues and whites.
I just got 3 for the 125 I'm setting up. i like these over the Mars Aqua because these only have i plug for each light.

fisher99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2020, 08:21 AM   #5
airplanes1016
Registered Member

Just for clarity. Again sorry for the redundancy of questions. I assume I could set the timer on the unit, then plug into my apex, leave my setting on the apex to “on” and just use the built in timer? That way there’s always power at the light?

Unread 07/27/2020, 09:00 AM   #6
fisher99
Registered Member

vipraspectre lights

I would think that as long as they have power they don't care where it comes from.

fisher99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2020, 10:38 AM   #7
oreo57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airplanes1016 View Post
Just for clarity. Again sorry for the redundancy of questions. I assume I could set the timer on the unit, then plug into my apex, leave my setting on the apex to “on” and just use the built in timer? That way there’s always power at the light?
Since this model is new to me there are a couple of things to keep in mind:
Is the remote IR or radio. Turning the units sideways as suggested may cause an issue in line of sight.
Only on/off and intensity for the 2 channels.
Not sure if clock keeps time and/or settings if unplugged.

Last..
Quote:
Can not set up multiple lights by one remote at the same time, have to do it separately.
Not to mention about $30-50 each more than a plain one and seem to charge a premium for a reef vs hort "similar" models.

oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote