Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/12/2015, 05:27 PM   #1
legacyline
Registered Member

sps under mosly blue led

I like the tank mostly blue the whites overpower the blues even at low settings for my eyes anyway....i was thinking about running 80% blue 10% whites would this be ok for sps coral? I'm not so much a par searcher but rather pur so just wondering if anyone has experience with those kind of settings and still get good growth

legacyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2015, 08:14 PM   #2
eddiereefs
Registered Member

You shiukd be fine provided you are using high power leds such as cree. U will find most par comes from the blue leds anyway.

eddiereefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2015, 09:48 PM   #3
legacyline
Registered Member

They are bridgelux led's reefbreeders

legacyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2015, 05:32 AM   #4
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyline View Post
I like the tank mostly blue the whites overpower the blues even at low settings for my eyes anyway....i was thinking about running 80% blue 10% whites would this be ok for sps coral? I'm not so much a par searcher but rather pur so just wondering if anyone has experience with those kind of settings and still get good growth
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiereefs View Post
You shiukd be fine provided you are using high power leds such as cree. U will find most par comes from the blue leds anyway.
Most of the PAR does not come from the blue, PUR for our corals, yes, but not PAR. And Cree leds are only a bit brighter than Bridgelux leds. Get over the Cree is the best idea. Besides, most people don't run their leds at 100% anyway. So if my Bridgelux leds are 15% less bright, I can run my power levels 15% higher (more or less).

I have an EverGrow led (they make ReefBreeder fixtures and use Bridgelux leds). I measured the PAR at 760 with both channels at 100% and 330% with just the blue at 100%. And we know the Apogee PAR meter reads a bit soft at the blue end of the spectrum. So I'd assume the blue channel is provding about half the PAR.

Since our coral's zooxanthellae use the blue spectrum more than anything else, your corals should do OK.

It's hard to say what affect it might have long term with the colors of your coral. And you might find they adapt, develop pigments that fluoresce even better than they do now. But they might also lose pigment and color when looked at under normal daylight. It would be interesting to see the affects in 6 and 12 months.

Unread 12/13/2015, 06:16 AM   #5
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

I've got one of the Chinese LED's and I run it at 100% blue and anywhere from 25%-50% on the whites. So my question is why do you only run the blues at 80%

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote