Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/21/2017, 11:24 AM   #1
Jyetman
Registered Member

Grape Caulerpa taking over scrubber

Is this going to cause issues if the caulerpa replaces the hair algae? Right now hair algae continues to grow at the top part of the scrubber and underneath fist thick grape caulerpa is expanding particularly at the bottom of the screen.

Jyetman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2017, 01:04 PM   #2
Jyetman
Registered Member

Does anyone know if fast growing grape caulerpa exports nutrients just as good as hair algae?

Old 01/21/2017, 01:10 PM   #3
xanthurum
Registered Member

Yes it does plus tangs and foxface love to eat it.

Current Tank Info: You want to know just ask
xanthurum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2017, 01:16 PM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Caulerpa does export nutrients well though I think I would much prefer the turf algae in the scrubber. For starters, the turf algae grows more dense and faster in the scrubber. The other reason is that caulerpa is one of the most invasive species of macro algae that we have to deal with in our tanks and not something I would want in any part of my system. While it is true that rabbit fish will eat it as well as some tangs, it's next to impossible to contain or eradicate once it gets a foot hold in the main display. All it takes is one tiny piece or a tiny runner to make it through your return pump and that's all she wrote. It's also know to go sexual and if it does, it will be all over the tank. If I were in your shoes, I would take the scrubber screen out and scrub the heck out of it to get rid of any roots/runners. Worst case, I might even run that area down with some peroxide to insure there are no remnants.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2017, 01:41 PM   #5
Jyetman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Caulerpa does export nutrients well though I think I would much prefer the turf algae in the scrubber. For starters, the turf algae grows more dense and faster in the scrubber. The other reason is that caulerpa is one of the most invasive species of macro algae that we have to deal with in our tanks and not something I would want in any part of my system. While it is true that rabbit fish will eat it as well as some tangs, it's next to impossible to contain or eradicate once it gets a foot hold in the main display. All it takes is one tiny piece or a tiny runner to make it through your return pump and that's all she wrote. It's also know to go sexual and if it does, it will be all over the tank. If I were in your shoes, I would take the scrubber screen out and scrub the heck out of it to get rid of any roots/runners. Worst case, I might even run that area down with some peroxide to insure there are no remnants.
Its too late year or so ago I picked up a frag and thought I completely removed a small runner I found. Six months later noticed runners peeking out from under rocks it was to late. Learned my lesson never buy frags from LFS who have infestations themselves. Now the caulerpa is infesting the scrubber screen at a fast pace. I'm starting to see growth in the display slowing down just wonder will it stop growing completely?

Old 01/21/2017, 01:46 PM   #6
Sk8r
RC Mod

Huge problems in a small tank. I had to break down a tank because of it.

It multiplies by runner, by leaf or stem fragment, by root, and by sporing, and it's toxic, with very few (large!!!!) fish that can eat it. It's awful stuff.

I found some in the new tank, along with halimeda and xenia. All, fortunately on the same moveable rock. I scrubbed same with toothbrush, dipped said areas in hydrogen peroxide for 30 seconds, rinsed, returned to tank and have had no further problem. Ich and caulerpa are equal in my book, both tank-killers in potential.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, 2 firefish, 2 chromis, royal gramma basslet, starry blenny, chestnut turbo snails, bristleworms, couple of hermits.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae scrubber, caulerpa, screen growth