Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/24/2014, 11:32 AM   #1
xarkaden
Registered Member

Question 40 Gallon, Skimmer? Sump?

Hello i'm fairly new to saltwater tanks yet fairly versed in freshwater and brackish water tanks. With that in mind i have a question while setting up a 40 gallon fish only or reef tank, do i need a skimmer? if so what would be a good brand for decent power and would i actually need a SUMP for an aquarium this small? currently i will be running 2 fluval aquaclear 50-60 filters giving me 400gph filtration. As well as 2 inch live sand bed and about 50lbs of fiji liverock.

i ask only because i have limited space in the area i want to display the tank and if i can get away with no extra sump or canisters i would love to save the space.

xarkaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2014, 01:09 PM   #2
Wryknow
Registered Member

It's possile to get by without one if you have a large fuge or small bio-load or do a ton of water cahgnes but I wouldn't recommend it - especially for someone new to the hobby. Ther are in-tank or hang on back (or side) skimmers that wouldn't require a sump. The ones I would recommend looking at would be the Tunze 9002 (in tank) or Aquamaxx (hang on) skimmer.

Current Tank Info: 65 G RR, w/ 50 G sump/refugium, DIY LED lighting, AquaMaxx CO-1 skimmer, Tunze 1073.050 return
Wryknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2014, 01:10 PM   #3
thegrun
Registered Member

You can certainly keep a tank without either a skimmer or a sump, but there are many advantages to having both. Using a skimmer will improve water quality, help oxygenate the water and reduce the frequency that you need to wake water changes. A sump will add water volume to your system making it more stable and also allow you to hide most of your equipment (skimmers, heaters, filtration...). I have kept saltwater tanks in the past without either a skimmer or sump, but they do require more maitenance and don't look as nice.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2014, 02:26 PM   #4
Salty Cracker
Registered Member

You would prefer the aquaamax to a reef ocotpus hang on the back style skimmer?

Salty Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2014, 02:41 PM   #5
Wryknow
Registered Member

Me personally? Yes, I would buy the AquaMaxx HOB-1 if I decided to put together a tank of that size without an over-flow but I'm sure that there are other good choices for a HOB style skimmer that would work for you. I have no personal experience with Reef Octopus skimmers.

Current Tank Info: 65 G RR, w/ 50 G sump/refugium, DIY LED lighting, AquaMaxx CO-1 skimmer, Tunze 1073.050 return
Unread 09/24/2014, 02:58 PM   #6
xarkaden
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice i will definitely invest in a nice skimmer and possibly build a sump starting on an extra 10 gallon tank i have going to lowes today to get the glass and going to take a wack at it

Unread 09/24/2014, 03:50 PM   #7
Wryknow
Registered Member

Just to clarify. Unless you are planning on drilling your 40 gallon tank I don't see why you would want to ry and add a sump. An HOB skimmer doesn't need a sump - you just put it on your main tank and you're gtg. Now, if you are planning on building a sump and drilling an overflow in your tank then I would recommend an in sump skimmer, not an HOB skimmer.

Unread 09/25/2014, 08:32 AM   #8
xarkaden
Registered Member

ill be doing a Hang on Back overflow and an in sump skimmer in a 15 gallon refugium

Unread 09/25/2014, 08:37 AM   #9
Wryknow
Registered Member

I strongly recommend against HOB overflows. There's a lot of horror stories about what happens if you lose siphon. Just do a search. Drillign a tank isn't that difficult. Lots of youtube videos on that as well.

Tags
40g, cycle, filtration, protien, saltwater